Masters Running

First Saturday in March musings (Read 35 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey tet--I'm sitting with the coaches now and read your post to them.  They said "yes to all".

Mariposai

Hey tet--I'm sitting with the coaches now and read your post to them.  They said "yes to all".

Priceless...

Just priceless

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Attended Todd's Celebration of Life today. The 2 hrs felt like 10 minutes. So meaningful, beautiful and so many people in attendance (400 maybe?) that dearly loved Todd. What wasn't to love?

here's the video they played that a few of you might enjoy. Tet especially will love the barefoot parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlA9S8GwJZs

Oh, and in case it's not obvious from the beginning, Todd loved Star Wars Smile

Tammy

Holly S. wrong school. Technically the enemy school to boot!  In any case he got off easy. PhD students get a fellowship that covers tuition. They also get a stipend to cover living expenses for 5 years, What he did to pay the rent and eat the other 6 years I have no idea!

Spareribs when confronted with not again issues, my typical response is that, "I am not dead yet!" My dad's rejoinder was, "Never is a long time." You never know. Yes, I am a lot more macabre than my ever sunny dad! 

coastwalker what app do you use to keep track of what you need to buy. I use Out of Milk but it has some quirks that are pretty annoying. I would not mind trying something else.

evanflein your dental work may be less awful than Holly's but it still sounds awful!

stumpy77 you may not be running Boston, but word is you could sign up to run a much longer race (well a little part of a much longer race) in New Hampshire in September. Just a  thought! 

C-R as they say two out of three ain't bad! I love ice cream!

wildchild I cannot even imagine where I would find a group that runs the kind of distance your's does! Forget the terrain you all cover to boot! While I am here, my DW and I are thinking of going skiing in Colorado in a few weeks. Have you heard anything about the conditions at Telluride or Crested Butte as of late?

tselbs congratulations on the race. I sure can sympathize with that racing absent sufficient training thing! But so long as you had fun, you won!

Mariposai funny post marathon I somehow never thought, "What to do now? I know clean the bedroom!" Maybe it is just me.

tetsujin209 I loved Dr. Suess as a kid, and I am just a big kid now! I still drive my DW crazy with green eggs and ham references.

StarrRuns be nice to that foot! I hope it heals fast.

As to me I ran 6 miles today. Then smoked some salmon. Really good I tell you! Go to my Allrecipes page, find the recipe and make it. I promise you will not be sorry! After that it was work, intermixed with more cooking. Red wine braised short ribs for dinner plus my Liquor Infused Irish Soda bread. Both came out really well! My SIL, her DH and my other SIL all came over to help eat everything. Most of it is gone so those are some more positive votes!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

H

As to me I ran 6 miles today. 

Twocat,  If you ran 6 miles post rock and rolling a marathon last weekend, it is time to change your avatar...

I will have to try that smoke salmon one of these days....once my deck is dusted and ready for the BBQ season.

Tetsujin, answer your phone calls...please.

Tamster, it seems like Todd was a beloved runner and person. Thanks for sharing this moment with us.

Off to bed, a long day at work awaits.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Kind of a lost week in terms of running. Flying does that somehow. As for the checkride...still has not happened. Check pilot finally got better, but the weather during my (re-)scheduled time frame with the check pilot on Friday came in with heavy snow, visibility of less than a mile...not okay...so now I am sitting out the weekend waiting for Monday. So I thought I would get out today but I got sent on the bush Alaska shopping trip today by my wife, that pretty much wiped me out...

Still looking for good news from Deez...thinking of you and your family.

Holly...saw your question about what a checkride is...so it is, basically:

1. A test of your precision as a pilot (can you maintain altitudes, make turns to headings, manage the airplane's behavior, landing and taking off in defined manners and at defined locations).

2. A test of your risk management (can you evaluate flight safety hazards, weather, traffic, etc.).

3. A test of your emergency procedures (simulated engine failures, fires, etc.).

4. A test of your understanding and knowledge of the flight environment (airspace, weather, towers, powerlines).

5. A test of your ability to manage the edges of the flight environment (slow flight, stalls, steep turns, etc.)

What that looks like is you start by going over paperwork so the examiner can make sure you are qualified for the checkride you are taking. Then there is usually oral quizzing that can range from everything to passenger comfort or health management to military operations areas and how airplane systems work. Next there is a supervised preflight inspection where they make sure you know how to do a preflight safely, then you take off and they assign you an altitude and destination. Then they assign steep turns, stalls, and then you go to an airport to do some takeoffs and landings. At any time during the flight they will pull the power back and assign an emergency associated with an engine failure. Also usually a fire of some sort will be simulated, and among the landings is a power off (like losing your engine) accuracy landing. Which, just so everybody understands...means that if my engine quits, I can pick my landing spot and land safely even without an engine...

In the case of the checkride I am waiting for, after all of that, I will be assigned a low level survey mission, and will fly that while demonstrating an understanding of the low level hazards, how to manage them, and how to fly in a manner that allows the successful completion of the mission while also managing the risk inherent in low level flight.

If I do something that scares the check airman, if he at any point feels he needs to take the controls, or if I fail to manage the airplane according to the parameters that are prescribed...then I fail, get remedial training, and try again...

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, Try - that sounds pretty intense!  But I am betting you will ace it with flying colors (pun intended).....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Slow is still progress Henrun.

Nice to see Henry getting back out there. Spareribs, I can understand thinking that your marathon days are behind you, but that makes me kind of sad (not sure how you feel about it). Your running was always such an inspiration to me when I was starting out, goodness about 12 years now.

Good luck with the new tooth Erika.

I'd love to run trails with Wildchild where there is a picnic at the end.

Nice 5 TomS.

Hooray for 6 miles TwoCat.

Rhoon, that's more intense than my truck driving exams.

Friday I was insistent at getting out of work after only 9 hours. Got home and got the mutt out for three miles before we lost daylight.

Tag was very interested in the deer.

At the trail head, I was very happy to see Trumpeter Swans. They are a native species that's been pushed out by the introduced and more aggressive Mute Swans.

gratuitous dog picture.

Saturday was a house cleaning day followed by having all the kids, spouses and grandkids over. Sunday may be a house cleaning day.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wow, Try - that sounds pretty intense!  But I am betting you will ace it with flying colors (pun intended).....

Holly, I think rhoon mistakenly gave you the version

he got when leaving Ohio and forgot the Alaska part

“ . . . land without an engine where there is nothing but muskeg,

glaciers, raging rivers and forests full of grizzly bear

to land in down below"

to  say nothing of the other

Alaska sections of the manual,

“Flying 500 Miles on Duct Tape”
                    “Spirits as a Substitute Fuel”
                    “Landing in a White Out”
                    “Tacking in Headwinds”

"Gum"

Maybe there are more

Dear Dad,
                    re: four mile walk to the lake.
                    Next time planning to drive (GS) and (friend)
                    to the lake, make sure there’s an extra car
                    seat for both.
                    Thank u
                    Love u

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)