Masters Running

newbies in paradise (Read 532 times)

dg.

Mike, thanks for the update. Was it a complete tear? What happens now? Teresa, I haven't commented yet, but zoomed through your thread when I was at work. Your pictures are absolutely astounding. thanks so much. rest day for me. really! busy, but nothing that I could record, even though I thought I'd fit some in. Yesterday was a little hard, I ran 7 outside, gave up & went to the gym (a 5 min. drive) (which I planned on anyway, but not to run) for the last 4. does that count as 11? w/the wind chill it was 3F, & running into the wind was , well, maybe colder than I've ever been. My face, anyway. Even with a balaclava on. Sort of scary. Then it would get a little better, so I'd do another section because it was such a nice day! Beautiful, crunchy snow, swans & all their little friends. Wink. did some weights at the gym after I finished my run, it was a pretty good day overall. the whirlpool didn't hurt. Laurie, how did your weekend go? Are you now officially healing? Linda, an update? roberta, you're being too quiet. (Kevin, you too... ).
      Mike, ouch! What was he doing when he tore it? good that he has you to help out. Poor thing. Deb, 3 degrees!? Ugh. Youre hard core. Kevin and Eliz, where are you? Theresa, will pop by the travel report and read it. I survived the Jolly Jaunt. Did the 10k too. But slowly. We finished in 1:05. It was my tri friends first 10k. Posted a RR. The Sunday fun run went surprisingly well. I had 4 of the regulars call and say they couldnt make it. Then it snowed and I figured that with all the women running the race on Sat and snow I wouldnt get any runners on Sunday. But 9 of them showed up. The weather was perfect. Not too cold or wet. The streets were neatly plowed and it was as peaceful as can be. I made breakfast burritos, fruit, pastries and a cake. Great times! Lots of good ideas passed for the club including a facebook page. PT begins tomorrow again. The dang leg is so sore by the end of the day that I cant even touch it. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm still here, just feeling quiet and not terribly talkative. this is the busy season at work as most of the projects need to be completed, or at least running, by the end of the year. Not a major complaint, as the natural gas business seems to be mostly recession proof (knock on wood). the running part of life is at least going well. I'm managing to keep the miles slowly increasing so far. (knocking on wood once again) I do the Jinglebell run this Sunday and am hoping to at least do better than last year. Since I haven't done a bit of speed lately, I'm not even thinking about a PR. Deb--your distances are still looking good. Just don't freeze your face! Do you put any lotion on before going out at those temps? I find it helps immensely to reduce the frostbite feeling. it warmed up overnight here. It was 13 at bedtime last night , but 22 this morning. Made for a nice run, but only one lake loop of 3.2. It was close to a tempo as I'm seeing lately, just over 27 minutes. Laurie--hope the PT gets rid of your hammies soon. Good luck with that. Judging from past opinions on winter running, it seems you might not be TOO disappointed not to run for a while Wink Teresa--Wonderful trip and pictures. I need to go back and look at the pictures from my trip there in '98. I loved being there, but work always seemed to get in the way. one trip was 3 weeks and we had 2 days off. Of course on one of them we drove to Umfolozi (sp?) nature reserve and got to see a bunch of animals (although not nearly as many as you guys did) I forgot that I have about 120 Rand sitting in my foreign currency cache that I should have sent you. Maybe would have bought you a couple of beers, at least. Hi to everyone else. Back to the grind. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I'm still here, too. Just swamped with the usual December concert mania, which is more manic than ever with my church gig. My singing gigs over the weekend were awesome, school concert today was nice. Last concert that I'm in charge of is this evening. Then I get my life back (a little) just in time to make sure I'm ready with all of the Christmas Eve music. I am soooooooo loving my weekend church gig, even though it's cutting into my running a little bit. I'm singing better than ever and really enjoying all of the people I'm working with. OK, so the tenor is the nicest. Wink But they're all really wonderful folks. Trying to keep up with the weekly run/XT and the 5-week weight-loss threads and to scan the daily. That's about all I'm good for right now, but you guys are definitely in my thoughts. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Good afternoon everyone, Dave had a complete tear of his ACL. So, the surgery involved replacing it with a piece of his hamstring tendon. He says that it happened playing football on his last deployment. Then he toughed out the rest of the deployment until he could get home to have it fixed. I had a great visit, and I think their corgi is in love with my dog Jake. Laurie, sounds like a couple of nice running events for you. That's neat that you invited people over after and had breakfast. Teresa, I'm on my way over to check out your trip report and pictures. Eliz, Enjoying what you are doing is what its all about. Isn't it? I just spoke with someone from work today that told me she has run for the past 30 years, but has not run in temps below 38 degrees. I laughed. Cheers Everyone Mike
              Eliz, record something for us and post it on youtube. We want to hear you sing too. Mke, my club hosts a fun run and breaksfast the first sunday of every month. It was my turn this month. Kevin, nice to hear from you. Hopefully it wont be too bitter cold for the race. Remember the tights....lol. Hey I was thinking of doing the run to remember half in boston March 24th. Think about it. We could meet up and run it. they have a 5 mile too but thats for wimps only. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Good afternoon everyone! Laurie, I'd love to join a fun run club and eat breakfast after weekend runs. I'm jealous. Smile 4 miles for me this afternoon. I wasn't able to drag myself out of bed on time this morning, so my run had to wait. Its 45 degrees, windy and raining. Someone said the "snow" word on the radio today and all of the schools closed. Of course that's snow overnight and then sunny and 50 tomorrow. I hope all the kids appreciate the day off. Cheers, Mike