Masters Running

Friday, 3.11.16 (Read 33 times)

Speaking of rain . . . . Thursday evening we had incredibly high winds.  The photo below is of a redwood that went down Thursday evening, about an hour north of us on the road I take when I go run at Prairie Creek Redwoods (one of my fav places to run).  Needless to say, the road is going to be closed for awhile.  We also had a big slide on 101 south of us AND on 299 east of us.  If we get one on 101 north, we'll be stuck again with no way out.  Not that I'm going anywhere until next week, and then just so long as 299 is open again . . . .  

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mari, sorry to hear about your flu.  I hope it's on the mend.  evan, you mentioned your husband having a bug.  I hope that was short lived.  Twocat, I relate to students not listening.  When I was teaching calculus, I had a question I always asked in a certain chapter.  It got to the point that, when the appropriate material was discussed, I waould tell them that I thought it was important, what question I would ask on the next test, and what I expected as an answer.  On test day, I would invariably have at least one student ask what I meant by the question.  deez, I'm glad to hear there is progress with your son's case.  Having met both RCG and Aamos in person, I know their meet up will be great.

Nice long runs for Mike and Slo.

Monday, when we babysat, our youngest grandson was dealing with some stomach upset.  Tuesday morning, I had a good run but my wife was having stomach issues.  Wednesday, it got me, upset stomach and diarrhea.  I moped around all day and was still pretty weak yesterday.  This morning, I was feeling weak, but better, and went out for 3 miles at an 11:34 pace.  My wife was worse than I was and is still not recovered completely.

Tomorrow, I am going to East Lansing and help my son in law on his continuing kitchen remodeling project.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Bleh on all the bugs going around! Glad you're feeling better, Tom, and I hope your wife is soon as well.

In 7th grade, we had a math exam where teacher said to read the entire thing first, then follow the instructions. Of course, a lot of us just scanned though it and started, or just dove right in. At the end, was a message saying something like "if you've read this far before starting the exam, congratulations! Put your pencil down and bring your exam paper to my desk but don't say anything." I remember wondering why some of my classmates were snickering a bit and going up to the desk. I thought they were real whiz-kids and I was an idiot! Then I started reading, and got to the end and just about cracked up. I'll never forget that teacher, even though I was never great at math.

Leslie, wow that is one big tree! Hope you aren't trapped, but then again if you didn't need to go anywhere for awhile it's not a big deal, right?

Our beautiful weather continues, and it's making the path I like to run on quite a mess. Today had me on the road for about a third of a mile and on softening hardpack for over a mile on the trail portion. Still a nice run and I hope we have a nice weekend! I'll be doing my long run tomorrow because of family commitments on Sunday, and it's nice to see the bike path along our main road got plowed this week so I don't have to run in the road (unless it's icy). Spring is coming!

And while I think the whole concept of Daylight Savings Time is stoopid and outdated, I don't mind the darker mornings because I run later in the day! I love, love, love the additional daylight at the end of the day, when I can use it!   Of course, soon it won't matter anyway since it'll be light pretty much all the time.

So many germs out there right now!! Doctors around here are saying the last few weeks there has been a significant rise in flu cases and many needing hospitalizations!!  Be  well my friends!!

Tried running 2 miles again today but did not feel great at all -- really thought with all this down time whatever this pain in my butt is would go away, but I'm afraid not.  But hey - I made it in to Beach 2 Beacon before it closed out in 3:43 -- think thats a new record!! 4000 runners signed up in under 4 minutes!! Hopefully I'll be running by August 

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Wow, Leslie--that tree just missed that guy...

I too, hope everybody gets over being sick.  I was down for two days...unfortunately, I think mine was brought on by a little too much drinkin' Saturday night....but Saturday night was fun.

Well...for tonight's run, I decided to do a little exploring.  I went down a road I had wanted to run on for awhile just to see if I could use it as an alternative to my normal course.  If I had stayed on the road I would have been fine but there was a trail meandering alongside the road so I jumped on that, instead.  The trail stopped meandering alongside the road...and I was heading to...well, I don't know where I was heading.  I kept hoping I'd pop out on the other side and be right back on the road.  I kept hoping that until I came to the end of the trail.  To make a long story just a little bit shorter...my 14 miler turned into 16.5.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going.  I'm wiped out.  See ya!

Dave59

Hello everybody!

Wow, Leslie--that tree just missed that guy...

Mariposai

Well...for tonight's run, I decided to do a little exploring.  I went down a road I had wanted to run on for awhile just to see if I could use it as an alternative to my normal course.  If I had stayed on the road I would have been fine but there was a trail meandering alongside the road so I jumped on that, instead.  The trail stopped meandering alongside the road...and I was heading to...well, I don't know where I was heading.  I kept hoping I'd pop out on the other side and be right back on the road.  I kept hoping that until I came to the end of the trail.  To make a long story just a little bit shorter...my 14 miler turned into 16.5.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going.  I'm wiped out.  See ya!

Sometimes the road never traveled brings excitement.

This is the top story for today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard