Masters Running

Favorite Recipe Thread (Read 1067 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

I found Paavo's quinoa recipe, and thought I'd put it here for future reference. I'm making it for dinner tonight with some modifications - will let you all know how it turns out! 

Okay, here's the report -   I put more kale in than the recipe called for, and no bread crumbs - just whole wheat flour. I didn't have dill, so I used basil.  And I didn't have feta cheese, so I used mozzarella.  (Okay, so I'm not so good at following recipes.)  It needed something more spicy - or maybe I just like spicy food - but I put salsa on top.  I liked it - DH, not so much....

Baked Quinoa Patties

HS: I baked these, but you can pan-fry them in a skillet** if you like - it's a bit quicker, but requires more of your attention. I've included those instructions at the bottom of the recipe.

2 1/2 cups / 12 oz /340 g cooked quinoa, at room temperature*
    5 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt

1/3 cup/ .5 oz /15 g finely chopped fresh chives
    1/3 cup /.5 oz /15 g finely chopped fresh dill
    1 cup / 1.5 oz /45 g finely chopped kale
    1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon (toasted) cumin
    1 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup / 3.5 oz /100 g whole grain bread crumbs, plus more if needed
    water or a bit of flour, if needed

1/3 cup / .5 oz / 15 g crumbled feta

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or clarified butter

Preheat oven to 400F / 200C.

Combine the quinoa, eggs, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the chives, dill, kale, onion, garlic, and cumin. Stir well.

Add the baking powder and bread crumbs, stir, and let sit for a few minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture.

Gently stir in the feta.

At this point, you should have a mixture you can easily form into twelve 1-inch / 2.5cm thick patties. I err on the very moist side because it makes for a not-overly-dry patty, but you can add more bread crumbs, a bit at a time, to firm up the mixture, if need be. Conversely, a bit more beaten egg or water can be used to moisten the mixture. If you're still having trouble getting the mixture to hold - mix in flour, a couple tablespoons at a time.

Oil a baking sheet, and arrange the patties with a bit of space between each. Bake for ~20 minutes, or until the bottoms are brown. Flip and bake for another 5 minutes.

Enjoy hot, or allow to cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.

Makes about a dozen patties.

*To cook quinoa: Combine 2 cups/ 12 oz/340 g of well-rinsed uncooked quinoa with 3 cups / 700 ml water and 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, decrease the heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and you can see the little quinoa curlicues.

**Alternately, you can cook the patties in a skillet. Here's how - Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat, add 6 patties, if they'll fit with some room between each, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms are deeply browned. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes and continue to cook until the patties are browned. Carefully flip the patties with a spatula and cook the second sides for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Alternatively, the quinoa mixture keeps nicely in the refrigerator for a few days; you can cook patties to order, if you prefer.

Prep time: 10 min - Cook time: 25 min

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Here's one of our favorites for a quick-and-easy soup. I usually double this recipe, which pretty well fills up an 8-quart pot. Freezes well. It would be even easier if we had an electric can opener instead of a manual one; lots of cans to open!

Spicy Healthy Taco Bean Soup

1 large onion

1 (1-1/4 oz) packet taco seasoning

1 (15 oz) can whole kernel cord, drained

1 (15 oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15 oz) can chili beans

1 (16 oz) can fat-free refried beans

1 (15 oz) can spicy diced tomatoes (e.g, rotel)'

1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes

• Slice or dice the onion and saute in stock pot until soft. Use a little olive oil or a bit of the broth.
      • Add remaining ingredients, heat to boiling while stirring, and simmer at least 15-20 minutes (I usually give it an hour).

That's all there it to it! Serve as you like and freeze the rest in serving-size portions. There's a lot of room for variation to taste, and since they keep changing the "standard" sizes of canned goods the above amounts are only a close approximation. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

I was looking for Enke's Chicken Curry recipe, and when I found it I thought I'd paste it here.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Here is an easy chicken curry that my kids will even eat:

2 med onions, quartered

1 cup plain yogurt

4 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp lemon juice

2 cloves garlic

3 tsp coriander

1 tsp cumin

0.5 tsp curry powder

1.5 tsp ground ginger

(if you have fresh, even better)

2 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

(a few chili peppers or powder) - optional

throw all this into a blender, until you make a nice slurry, and pour over

2-3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces, that are in a 9x13 or other adequate pyrex dish.

Mix and cook 350F for about 45min-1 hour with no lid.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild

Carolyn

Enke, that chicken curry recipe is Awesome!  Thanks! 

And I don't think I liked it just because I was starving and had been skiing all day!

TammyinGP

I can't really call this a favorite, because I haven't tried it yet. But this was posted on another forum as a St. Patty's Day dessert idea with several folks commenting how delicious this cake was, so thought I'd share it here. I'll make this on Saturday.

Pistachio Cake

1 White Cake Mix
            1 small pkg pistachio pudding
            1 cup sour cream
            1/2 cup oil
            4 eggs
            2 teaspoons almond extract
            4-5 drops green food coloring
            1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients together, except chocolate chips, until blended, just a couple of minutes.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour into greased and floured bundt pan.

Bake at 350, 45-55 minutes.     

Tammy

Top 'O the World!

Just a new one that I kinda like:

Portobello-Asparagras Pasta'

Mushrooms and asparagus provide B vitamins, and pesto contains heart-healthy, unsaturated fat. "The pesto will keep in the refrigerator for a week,"

2/3 cup pine nuts
              20 large, fresh basil leaves
              2/3 cup parsley
              1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
              1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
              4 whole, peeled garlic cloves
              Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
              1 1/2 pounds shell or bow-tie pasta or tortellini
              32 medium asparagus spears, chopped into bite-sized pieces
              1 tablespoon olive oil
              2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced (remove gills with a spoon)
              4 teaspoons chopped parsley

Make the pesto by pureeing the first seven ingredients till medium smooth.

Boil a pot of salted water. Add pasta.

Five minutes later add asparagus. In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add portobello; cook till tender [seven minutes].

When pasta is cooked, strain it and asparagus, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.

Transfer pasta and asparagus back to the pot along with half of the reserved water. Mix in pesto. Drizzle with remaining water, and top with portobello and parsley. Serves six.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 763
              CARBS: 92 G
              FIBER: 8 G
              PROTEIN: 21 G
              FAT: 35 G

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Cindy--that's a real runner's recipe.  I bet the usual serving size for that would probably make that for 12. Wink  Sounds yummy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Mtchk1 - I've made lots of variations of that pasta.  for pescatores, adding shrimp is lovely!

why do you remove the gills.  I always do, but don't know why, thx marj

SteveP

I've recently cut a coconut in half. Added pineapple chunks, filled it with vanilla yogurt and let it set in the fridge over night. DW and I had it with an out door breakfast. very tasty.

SteveP

Spicy Eggplant (adapted from Allrecipes)

1 large eggplant, cubed

2 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, thinly sliced, you can sub green onion

1 tbsp minced garlic

2 tbsp water if needed

2 tbsp oyster sauce

1 generous tbsp chili garlic sauce

1 tsp white sugar

Steam diced eggplant in steamer (I use a colander over a pot) for 10? min (until soft), remove

meanwhile, add 1 tbsp oil to fry pan, and cook eggplant until a bit brown and most of excess water has been driven off

remove eggplant.

saute onions for 5-10' and garlic for 3' in another tbsp oil

add back eggplant

add water, oyster sauce, chili garlic sauce and sugar, mix well with eggplant

cook maybe 5', then enjoy

This recipe brought back many memories of living on the edge of Chinatown in Toronto.  (One) of my favourite restaurants there made a dish like this with ground pork, believe it or not, it works.  Gosh I really miss the hot and sour soup at Lucky Dragon...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Yum!  I am making this tonight!

Yes it is a bit runny, I don't know how to fix that.  Glad you liked it.  My zucchinis will be ready tomorrow!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

There hasn't been anything new in a while and now that it's getting towards fall, I thought I'd share this comfort food recipe that I found on the Farmer's Almanac site.  I made it a few times last fall/winter and can't wait to do it again.

the things I did different that seemed to work:

1.  I used boneless, chicken thighs

2.  I've used kielbasa, but am looking for something with a little more flavor

3.  I used panko bread crumbs and probably more than it called for

4.  I added about a 1/4 cup of red wine the second attempt, just because it seemed to belong--made for a somewhat richer flavor.

Enjoy!

Chicken and Sausage Cassoulet

Yield: 6 servings

Preparation Time: 45 minutes

Start to Finish Time: 2 hours 45 minutes

• 6 chicken drumsticks or thighs
                          • 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
                          • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
                          • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
                          • 1 16-ounce package smoked sausage, cut into 3-inch pieces
                          • 1 large onion, chopped medium-size
                          • 3 garlic cloves, minced
                          • 2 19-ounce cans cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
                          • 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
                          • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
                          • 1 bay leaf
                          • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
                          • 1 cup plain breadcrumbs, divided
                          • Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs

Preheat oven to 300°F. Sprinkle chicken all over with salt and pepper.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown meat in 2 tablespoons olive oil, about 5 minutes.

Turn and brown other side, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add sausage to skillet and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add remaining olive oil to skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Return chicken and sausage to skillet. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil and sprinkle with 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.

Bake, covered, 2 hours. Then uncover and sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake 20 minutes longer, or until cassoulet is golden.

Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with thyme sprigs.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I was looking for Enke's Chicken Curry recipe, and when I found it I thought I'd paste it here.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Here is an easy chicken curry that my kids will even eat:

2 med onions, quartered

1 cup plain yogurt

4 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp lemon juice

2 cloves garlic

3 tsp coriander

1 tsp cumin

0.5 tsp curry powder

1.5 tsp ground ginger

(if you have fresh, even better)

2 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

(a few chili peppers or powder) - optional

throw all this into a blender, until you make a nice slurry, and pour over

2-3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces, that are in a 9x13 or other adequate pyrex dish.

Mix and cook 350F for about 45min-1 hour with no lid.

I made this the other day and Ralph and Blaine and I loved it.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I can't really call this a favorite, because I haven't tried it yet. But this was posted on another forum as a St. Patty's Day dessert idea with several folks commenting how delicious this cake was, so thought I'd share it here. I'll make this on Saturday.

Pistachio Cake

1 White Cake Mix
                              1 small pkg pistachio pudding
                              1 cup sour cream
                              1/2 cup oil
                              4 eggs
                              2 teaspoons almond extract
                              4-5 drops green food coloring
                              1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients together, except chocolate chips, until blended, just a couple of minutes.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour into greased and floured bundt pan.

Bake at 350, 45-55 minutes.     

Going to try to build this cake today.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

TXSaintsfan

I can relate! Love my pain perdu! From Cajun country-in Houston now.

Since I'm originally from Louisiana and of French decent - here is my favorite:

Praline French Toast

Great after a long run. Andrew