Masters Running

Lakewood LASAA Mug Run 10K RR (Read 208 times)

huskydon

Short version: Ran well (49:21), but not fast enough for a PR (48:43) on a very rainy day. Long version: This is my 4th consecutive year running this race. I run it because the course is fast and the entry fee ($20) is low. Plus one of my co-workers lives nearby and runs it too. This race is one of the LA Sheriff’s Athletic Association Mug Run Series. You run three races and get a cool glass mug (which I don’t have). In past years, I ran 48:55 (08), 50:05 (07), and 49:26 (06). I have been tired from work, so I didn’t realistically think I had that good a chance to PR. When I got there, an hour before the race, the weather was pretty good. Too bad we couldn’t have started then! At the start of the race, it was raining some (and we heard thunder!), around the middle of the race, it came down in earnest. By the end of the race, it was pouring, and it put a damper on the post race festivities. I met up with my brother, and a co-worker, and for the first time, rayruns from the RW Calif Message Board. I beat my brother by about four minutes and he edged out my co-worker right at the finish. rayruns is one of those fast young people and beat me by seven minutes or so. One thing I liked about the race organization was that they had a single line for the six porta potties. The line moved surprisingly fast. I ran probably the best paced race ever, for me. Here are my splits: 8:01 7:51 7:55 7:59 7:57 9:38 (7:57 pace) 49:21 (total) I tried to hold back for the first mile, and after two miles, I began to pick off people steadily and felt pretty strong throughout the rest of the race. I was able to hold my pace by keeping my turnover high. I probably passed 15 or more while maybe one or two passed me. This is totally unheard of for me. I also noticed that the middle miles seemed to click by pretty quickly as opposed to when you go out too fast and each mile seems an eternity and a half. I am pretty happy with the results. It is amazing, I feel great right now, after the race. No coughing or stomach distess or anything, Hmmm, maybe I should go out and run some more, now that it is sunny again…. Best of runs to you all – thanks for reading.
    HermosaBoy

That looks like a very well run race. Congrats!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Cashmason

Good job Don !
          Nice racing, husky. Those were nice even splits and you were not far off a PR in conditions that were less than desireable. Congratulations. TomS
            I agree....nice splits. Good racing, Husky.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              well run Don, Are you going for the mug this year? If so good luck. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice race Husky, it sounds like you ran nice and even and controlled and even the rain didn't slow you down.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

#artbydmcbride

Great job huskydon! We are getting some tough winter weather now aren't we? Big grin Maybe we should think about doing the Race on the Base.

Runners run

Great job Don and pretty even pacing there! It looks like you ran your second fastest time on the course anyway so not bad at all. Big grin
                      Don, whoa, you are so fast! Congrats on your PR! You did well considering the rainy weather. That's cool you met up with rayruns from RW.