Masters Running

City - Pier - City Half Marathon Report (Read 313 times)

King of PhotoShop

I'm really sorry to read this. Sometimes everything just conspires against you. Let's hope all the bad demons got loose for just one race. I like your go back and get 'em attitude for next year however. You will get your revenge. Spareribs
      Get that leg healed up and train more, Jules You've got some nice times for such puny mileage. You have the potential to go a lot faster even though you are old and gray. Anyone who can run 1:30 for HM on 20 mpw has some ability.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

jules2

Jim, thanks for that. In the past I've looked at the miles you log with envy as for the last few years I have suffered with my achilles. Whats odd is that since picking up the injury in my thigh ( which I am optimistic that I can get over quickly ) I haven't had the slightest twinge from my achilles. Although this might in part be due to my new podiatrist. As you can see from my log I have to work on the theory that as I can't run high mileages any miles I do run are hard. My ambition is to get six clean months training in and see how quick I can do a half in but even then I won't be in your league.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Jim, thanks for that. In the past I've looked at the miles you log with envy as for the last few years I have suffered with my achilles. Whats odd is that since picking up the injury in my thigh ( which I am optimistic that I can get over quickly ) I haven't had the slightest twinge from my achilles. Although this might in part be due to my new podiatrist. As you can see from my log I have to work on the theory that as I can't run high mileages any miles I do run are hard. My ambition is to get six clean months training in and see how quick I can do a half in but even then I won't be in your league.
          I was afraid there might be some other physical problem I wasn't aware of. That being said I still can't see how running harder every time you go out would help things but I'm not in your shoes. Spareribs,who just posted, is another pretty fast older guy who has been bitten by the injury bug. He was on the longer, slower program and got hurt anyway. I realize that I have been pretty lucky. Being able to train for a long time without getting hurt is probably more important than talent, up to a point. Good luck in any case. Hope to see you get healed and pop some good ones.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            sounds like a rough trip all around - heal up and i'm sure next year you'll go back and kick butt!!

denise

jules2

Good news all I've done is torn a muscle in my thigh, the physio pointed out there was a huge bruise at the back of my leg behind my knee. I hadn't noticed it as its not the favourite part of my body or for that matter anyone elses body. I will lay off runing for a week just to play safe. Jim, did you notice that if you scroll down on my log I've started keeping track of my cycling and I treat that as recovery so I do more exercise than just 20 miles running.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

btb1490

The way I see it is you got years of bad luck out of the way all at once. Smooth sailing from here on in! Keep plugging away!