Masters Running

Sat March 8 Master Runs (Read 531 times)

TammyinGP

Good afternoon everyone! I had a nice run this a.m. with my running club. However, only 4 people showed up today (there were 30 just the other week - they must have gotten wind that old slow tammy was coming today). Actually, it wasn't much of a group run because the other three were all faster. One girl was running 7.5 min/miles and the other two were running 8.5 min miles. I stayed with them for the first two miles, then dropped back and just did my own pace. about the last 2 miles of my run the sun started burning off the fog and I FINALLY got warm. It was a pretty cold morning and I was wearing shorts, so my legs were quite pink. Then I went to the gym and did weights and rowing. I'm making up a loaf of Ribs favorite bread this afternoon. this time I used part white and part whole wheat flour. It'll probably be a heavier bread with the wheat. My husband is still down in So Cal having too much fun at the drag race car reunion. 82 cars made the show and the team my husband is on is in the top 10, so he's on cloud nine. have a good rest of the weekend everyone!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

DD and I went to a fitness expo at our local rec center today. They offer 20-minute free classes of many types of fitness classes. We tried kickboxing, Aikido, yoga, and some kind of dance class. We both really liked the kickboxing and Aikido, and might sign up for one or both classes. We also walked to and from the rec center, which is about two miles away, partly out of necessity, because DH's truck died and he had to work today, so he took my Subaru. (Yeah btb, Subarus are great cars, specially in snow country.) So we got some good exercise and good mom-daughter time together. CNY, I hear you about the kids growing up too fast. DD is 14, and she's the same height and weight as I am. We even share clothes. She's truly a terrific kid, and I'll miss her when she goes off to college in 3 years! Sorry so many of you are having wet weather. Its pleasant here - low 30s, partly sunny. Our walk was all on packed snow, but relatively good footing and nice temps. Btb, we want to hear about the race - did the oars slow you down, or give you a big edge over the competition? Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Tammy, today's loaf goes in the oven in 20 minutes. Missed you on chat last night but I left a message with the others to tell you that today's loaf has fresh oregano and rosemary in it. (Mama always said that MIRC chat is like a box of chocolates. You never know who is going to be online.) Last night I had a pleasant visit with my sweetie Mariposai, the fabulous Finn FF, and the super fleet Daave in AA Soundie, I understand your sekrit coded message. You want to make sure you don't get fined for looking like a dork wearing your windbreaker or jacket tied around your waist. Well, if you look at the rest of today's posts you will see who committed the double whammy of doing just that, and admitting it! Liz, that's one dollar, put it in the mail. Yes Holly, happy birthday to you, old soccer sock arms you! I'm with everyone else on that rascal btb. File that RR, so that "We can pump YOU up!" Spareribs
          Btb, lets hear it. Sounds like a classic. 7 miles at marathon pace for me today. First one around 12 minutes with my warm ups then 4 at 9 minute mile pace and the final 2 at 8.5 minute mile pace. Tomorrow is 14 long for me. Hope the weather gets a little better. Its windy and cold today. Tomorrow is supposed to be as cold but less wind. That will help a lot. Good runs everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Did the Beacon on the Bay 25K race today. 2:28:53. Had a great time (meaning I had fun). My first 25K race so I can chalk it up as a PR. Met up with wa5yom and a couple of fellow runners from my hometown. Met a few more folks and had an enjoyable time all around. Details to come. Good running to all!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            evanflein

Holly! Soccer socks... great idea. I bet we've tossed/donated most of ours. Today is just beautiful here... high 30's (felt like low 40s), some clouds but bright sunshine and blue skies fr the most part. The packed snow parts were really really slick, but lots of dry asphalt on the bike paths and road shoulders. Went 9 miles just past the dog mushers' field where they're holding races today. Those dogs sure love to run! Today's run felt like a cross between regular training run with tempo pace throughout. Mile splits 8:12; 8:04; 9:05 (uphill!); 8:04; 8:12; 8:27; 7:52 (down that big hill!); 9:07; 9:20. You can sure tell where the uphill/downhill parts were! Fun thing was, I had my Garmin under my sleeve so just ran by feel. I really slow down at the end but it's pretty steep on the last half mile up to my house. Chat was good last night. I was on after most others left, but had a good talk with Tammy and Mariposai. Thanks, ladies, you gave me a lot to think about...! (Mustang Sally, too!)
              btb1490

Oye, the pressure! Now I hope it meets expectations! Set aside a chunk of time... Thanks guys! Blush I'm gonna have to catch up with the late day posters later, heading out to see the play "Nunsense" in a bit. Have a good evening everyone! Smile
                spacityrunner

Liz, that's one dollar, put it in the mail.
                  Yes, Mr. Ribs...as you command So the really funny thing is that as I was tying the jacket around my waist I was actually thinking I am going to owe Ribs a fine for this. Before hanging around CR and now RA I never ever thought that. Big grin

Trails Rock!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory starting in a 60F downpour but then let up and stopped by halfway. Very nice but felt like a slug. Wrapped the leaky garmin in plastic which worked well but couldn't read the display so ran by feel ( evanflein.. you did did too today!) Thought I was running 10-11 pace. When I got back I saw I was doing 9:27 pace and AHR was 148 about 5 beats above target. Still have cold and achy back. Hope tomorrow's 23 miler gets rid of it.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

About 3 feet of snow down since Friday night!!! Just turned on the jacuzzi for the girls with lots of bubble bath and but on some Bob Marley music for them so that they think they are down south enjoying great weather...I think it's working....Gives me a chance to do some dishes and clean up, before we look at a movie. That chest pain I have been feeling, I think it's a terrible bad back. ie: had not noticed before but my left side is so knotted it's incredible. I think it's all the shovelling over the last months. I am left handed...so could be creating lots of pressure on my chest and sides...hmmm anyway another physical ailment to deal with...but I did run today before the major snowstorm. Was happy to hear from my lady friend who is having a great time with her kids in Floriday this week. Nice to hear her voice and get an email from her...Cannot wait to hug and kiss her... Take car Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

pfriese

Did the Beacon on the Bay 25K race today. 2:28:53. Had a great time (meaning I had fun). My first 25K race so I can chalk it up as a PR. Met up with wa5yom and a couple of fellow runners from my hometown. Met a few more folks and had an enjoyable time all around. Details to come. Good running to all!
                        Great race evryday. Sorry I couldn't be there this morning. I just checked the results and saw that Tim did VERY well also. Paul
                          Great race evryday. Sorry I couldn't be there this morning. I just checked the results and saw that Tim did VERY well also. Paul
                          Thanks Paul...and yes, Tim did do very well!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Hi everyone! Just a quick post to say we got into Breck after a really long day, and are getting ourselves ready to ski tomorrow. A really bad storm passed over our airport so they diverted our incoming plane to Ft. Meyers, so we had to spend 3 hours in the airport before we ever left town. But we're here now. I may get up early and introduce myself to the TM here. Gotta keep the miles up as best I can this week. I hope to get outside for a run a few times. I keep thinking to myself W.W.E.D? Of course I know exactly what she would do. Get Out There! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

GreenMan

I woke to the sound of hyperactive wind chimes on the front porch. By 8:30 the wind was calmer, the rain -a steady heavy drizzle at 38*. I checked the hourly weather which insinuated the conditions would deteriorate as the day progressed. The weatherman nailed it. The rain gave way to heavy flurries, which gave way to a stiff breeze in the low 20*s I started with a bike ride into town and turned around and rode back out through DAMascus into national forest on the rail-trail and locked it up with 27+ miles. Continuing on, I walked for a half mile hoping for some feeling in my feet, then started a recovery run. The elements weren't so bad as long as you keep moving. After 2.5 miles I turned back. The light snow coating the fields, trees and mountain side was gorgeous. I couldn't help but get in a little deeper and took a connector trail over to the AT which would also take me back to the bike. The single track of AT wasn't that adversely affected by the 1/2" of snow. I, however, managed to make a 90% faceplant, and stood up with some pain in the ribs, but nothing broken. I continue on, a bit more gingerly. I make it back to the bike with 5 running and 1 walking. By the time I get back to DAM, I'm cold, wet, and hunger. I ordered a large pizza, consumed a over a square foot of it and suck down a double espresso gel. The last 9 miles were not a walk in the park but I've done them in worse condition. So I ended up with 41+ on the bike, a nice recovery paced run, some very sore ribs, But at least I don't feel cruddy Smile JJJ
                              Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              Mariposai

(Mama always said that MIRC chat is like a box of chocolates. You never know who is going to be online.) Last night I had a pleasant visit with my sweetie Mariposai, the fabulous Finn FF, and the super fleet Daave in AA " Spareribs
                                see this is why we all love this man...even when he does not like dogs!!!!!!!!! Great run today SR...it must have been all the advice we gave you in the chat room. Blush Go weekend racers!!!!!!!!!!!! Soundie..........you will rock!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tetsujin.........good luck in your first HM this year!!!!!!!!!!! go get them Taper boy!!!!!! Enkie.......you will have a huge PR tomorrow...I just know it!!!!!!!!!!! 13 miles for me today, plus half and hour of salsa dancing and working in the garden.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard