Masters Running

VT50 Sunday....... (Read 46 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

p.s.  Did you hear about the Berlin Marathon?  2:02:57.  

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

dg.

hi all, also checking for VT50 results!     thanks Marj...

(refresh refresh refresh)

So what happened, is happening whatever in the VT50?  Somebody?  Anybody?  Darn internet . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

VT50--Marj posted the first words out of my mouth...yes, it was THE toughest event I have ever done.  I didn't tell anybody but my goal was actually 8 hours.  Even after reading the course description, I had no idea the course would be so tough.  I walked...a lot!  I think my time was 10:13.  I have no idea what place I came in...I was too embarrassed to look at the results.  I think I'll stick to marathons...on roads...on flat roads.

Oh...it was really cool to have Henry, Marj, Holly, and Holly's brother at the finish line...very cool.

TammyinGP

embarrassed? about what? You just ran 50 miles!  congrats!!!!

erika, yes this is David's first running injury. thanks for the concerns and advice. he's taking it all to heart and has been doing a good job of resting it. today he did a few ankle rolls just to see how it's feeling. he feels a bit of pulling/strain, but much better. yesterday it bothered him more than it had been but he was also in shoes and walking around school all day on friday, so that probably stressed it out some.

lazy day at the Moore household. Had a friend over, who also happens to be David's FBLA instructor, so we've been eating grilled quesadillas and watching football all day.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome time at VT 50 today!   I loved the course and had a much better race than my first 50 miler at Bighorn. I finished in about 10:50 (knocking 3 hrs and 10 minutes off my Bighorn time).  And the coolest part?  I was 3rd in my AG and Karin was 2nd!     Skip paced me the last 10 miles, and having  the company was wonderful!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

Congrats to the 50-milers!  Awesome stuff all around.

Be safe. Be kind.

lamerunner

Wow, great running in VT! Congratulations on the times, AG placements and getting through the darn thing. I have heard it is hilly!   How did Holly like it?  I am very impressed.  I am sorry I missed seeing you guys.

We did a family hike, the Franconia Ridge by a little different route, to minimize the crowds. Hiked up Scookumchuck Trail over North Lafayette and saw almost noone until the main summit of Lafayette, where there were lots of people. By the time we headed across the main Franconia ridge, many were already near Lafayette, so we missed the bulk of that crowd too. Gorgeous day, incredibly warm with some decent foliage in places. Vermont is looking red.

Very cool about the Berlin Marathon!

Marathon Maniac #957

Woo Hoo for Carolyn and Karin!  I have no idea what my placement was, but it was a lovely course, a beautiful day (if a bit warm).  I did take some pictures along the course, but won't be able to post until later in the week, after we get home and settled.  Right now we are gathered around the kitchen table in our lovely cottage withy Henry and Marj and my brother Mike and Skip and Carolyn and Mike, snacking and drinking beer and going over our race details and laughing about our mishaps,,,what an awesome group this is!

Heading home tomorrow, but first I want to sit outside by the fire and look at the stars- they are amazing here,  First time I have seen the Milky Way since I was a kid....

This has been a wonderful trip.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Awesome job you guys. What a way to celebrate Karin's 50th! And so cool that Carolyn had such a PR and got to run with Skip! And Holly gets to spend time with her brother and see the Milky Way! And Mike finished the toughest race he'd ever done. You guys all rock!

Amy, no I didn't hear about Berlin... who won in that amazing time?

Ok, sorry, that's it. I'm toast. What a long A$$ day this was. Left Fairbanks at 1:35 a.m., got to Seattle around 6, left around 8:30... but no we were about 45 minutes late leaving because of "weight imbalance" issues. Really? First time loading a plane, guys? Then a 5:30 flight from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale, then a 35 minute town car drive with three of us stuffed in the back seat. My fellow UA employee and I walked about half a mile to a place for dinner and then we walked around the hotel a bit to try to get our bearings. I'm hopelessly lost. And I've been here before! I'm just too tired. Obviously, no run today. I will probably try to get up somewhat early and go out tomorrow morning. The best news of the day is my back is actually feeling ok. Took some Ibu in Seattle before we left and that made a big difference.

It's 9:24 here but 5:24 at home. Funny, I feel like I'm on FL time already. G'nite.

Holly and all the others... soak it up!  You guys are amazing, and now you can enjoy the spoils of your accomplishments and company!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

embarrassed? about what? You just ran 50 miles!  congrats!!!!

Exactly!!!!! Embarrassed for running 50 miles??? Mike you ROCK!!!

Amazing running to all the VT racers!!!

and Marj and Henry who kept posting here to give us an update.

Once again, an RA family gathering rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice long workout tet! And a Francesca sighting.   Tell her hi from  time you see her?

'

'

Films out of Japan's volcano are strikingly eerie, no?

hiya amy.

At the Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run's 1.,9 mile loop,  I'll get ro run with francesca a lot, and anyone else who comes <<<(mariposai/mariposai)>>> on 11/1.

The problem with onsen hot springs in Japan is that the best ones are near volcanos, in this case, Mt. Ontake is the source and spring of some of my favorite public pools, i.e. free,  overlooking a quietly rippling river full of mountain trout. The ascent up Mt. Ontake has been on my “to-do” list for a while.  Glad I’m getting old enough not to have to do all the things anymore I used to think I had to do.
                            Mike - don’t worry, when you get older,
                            nothing will embarrass you,
                            especially if you can still be running TomS paces.  
                            www.marathonguide.com for Berlin articles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

usandtoto-2@msn.com

The problem with onsen hot springs in Japan is that the best ones are near volcanos, in this case, Mt. Ontake is the source and spring of some of my favorite public pools, i.e. free,  overlooking a quietly rippling river full of mountain trout. The ascent up Mt. Ontake has been on my “to-do” list for a while.  Glad I’m getting old enough not to have to do all the things anymore I used to think I had to do.  

Tet,  Looking at the pictures here of MT. Ontake, it looks like a beautiful place even with the eruption.  Sue and I are a nice distance away and in no danger even from the ash fallout.  Do you still have the e-mail address of the people who set up the Imperial Palace Marathons? Looking at starting to do a few of them as training runs soon.  Also, I got in the Yokosuka Half Marathon in Nov and the Yokohama Marathon in March.

When is your next trip over?  Or have you retired and taken up training runs in place of working?

A lot of great running in here as usual.  Looking for a "destination" marathon or two in the states possibly as early as late spring next year.  Any thoughts out there?  (we are flying in from Japan)

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Sayhey! MM#130

This has been a wonderful trip.....

....I'm so glad you were there!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)