Masters Running

Habits (Read 50 times)

Dave59

So I said to myself this morning, "Going to try and eat better"

.... but I say that to myself everyday about this time so it probably is meaningless.

I have read a couple books about habits. I don't have any and nothing ever sticks. I don't like imposing any obligations on myself or letting anyone impose any on me.  My sister-in-law calls me "the silent rebel."  Recently I stumbled across this stuff about habits and "4 Tendencies".   I took the quiz and got "Rebel".  The description made me laugh.  I can have "habit-like" behaviors, but basically I do what I want when I want to do it.  I have always been like that.  When I finally had my own car in high school, I would leave out whenever I felt like it.  People would stand there with the mouths open as I walked out to the parking lot and drove off.  At work, if I finished what needed to be done I would leave.  I felt no obligation to keep a seat warm until 5:00.

Anyway, if you are interested, here is the quiz: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1950137/Four-Tendencies-January-2015

And here is some background (with some links to video descriptions): http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2013/10/what-kind-of-person-are-you-the-four-rubin-tendencies/

Cindy is an "Upholder".  That explains a whole heck of a lot what has been going on over the past 32 years of marriage. 

Luckily I have been aware of my tendencies for a while now and I have learned to not blindly follow them without thinking first.

Just thought it was interesting stuff.

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting!  I got rebel, too, although I don't think I'm particularly rebellious. Or maybe I just rebel quietly - I don't like to conform to societal expectations much.   Funny, sometimes people think my handle "wildchild" refers to me - but it was actually a nickname for Tazzie when she was a puppy.  I'm an introverted engineer, better with logic than with people, although I do like running wild!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm an upholder.  I really didn't want to take that survey, but I felt obligated.

Obliger.  Interesting.  I think I agree with the assessment, although on some of the questions, none of the selections seemed to fit, or if you combined a couple, it would fit better.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

So I'm an upholder. Hmmmm, maybe so, maybe not. Those quizzes always leaving me thinking "I'm none of those!"

What a day at work... late last minute meetings, afternoon snow, lack of plows... grrr, conspired against a run and I was ok with that. So, DH and I went shopping after work and heated up leftovers (the last of that meatloaf!) for dinner. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

REBEL

I`m sure I wasn`t one when I worked all those years for the government and I not only didn`t think my answers would make me one (except for the one about doing things just to p"ss people off or something like that that I never used to do) but Dave must be a super one if I`m one.  .

However, I`ll gladly accept it since I subscribe 100% to Clint Eastwood saying that "one of the benefits of the aging process is not giving a carp about what anyone else thinks." Sorry to say but it`s true.  I wonder what dave will be like when he gets to his seventies too.  I`d like to be here, or somewhere, to see that.  Maybe I will be.  Watch out world.

- - - - - - - -

I'm an upholder.  I really didn't want to take that survey, but I felt obligated.

You`re an upholder even though you took the test because you are a obligoring rebel?

- - - - - - - -

ps - would someone please tell ilene to take the test.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

So I'm an upholder. Hmmmm, maybe so, maybe not. Those quizzes always leaving me thinking "I'm none of those!"

Yes, same with me.

I kept thinking, one answer would apply to some habits in my life but not to others.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

I'm sorry, but I don't do polls/surveys. I suppose that, in itself, is meaningful to someone in some way.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM #7877

Questioner.

Questioners question all expectations, and will meet an expectation only if they believe it’s justified, so in effect, they meet only inner expectations.

Once Questioners believe that a particular habit is worthwhile, they’ll stick to it—but only if they’re satisfied about the habit’s soundness and usefulness. They resist anything arbitrary or ineffective; they accept direction only from people they respect.

Questioners may exhaust themselves (and other people) with their relentless questioning, and they sometimes find it hard to act without perfect information.

Of the 4 tendencies, yeah that most closely identifies me.

Philippians 4:13.

#artbydmcbride

ps - would someone please tell ilene to take the test.

I took the test.  It says I am an Upholder. 

It also seems to confuse Habits with Commitments, and those are very different. 

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm sorry, but I don't do polls/surveys. I suppose that, in itself, is meaningful to someone in some way.

Jay

Rebel!

...dave//..........the Trick is to Break the Cycle on eating habits........

when I watched one of my Skinny Friends eat,

I noticed he took a sip of whatever he was drinking between bites

at first,

you have to MAKE yourself lay down the fork, but since you'll wind up drinking whatever it is anyway>>>>>give it a shot

==========

yep,

Upholder here too

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

New skirt in town

I'm an Upholder.  I knew I would be!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

I'm curious, but don't want to take the test.

You can cast your vote but I have an inkling. What do you think Ilene? Erika?