Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 8.4.14 (Read 39 times)

Only Erika recovers from a HM with a 14-miler!

Ran with a friend who's recovering from various ailments, so I pulled him along at a faster pace while he kept me at a slower pace for me. Afterward we were standing around shooting the breeze near the "duck pond" in the park when we suddenly found ourselves surrounded by (what else?) a bunch of mama ducks on their way to the pond with their attendant broods. The little ones were practically scurrying over our feet to keep up. It was a cute sight and showed how tame they've become.

Who else was running today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

BTY

Funny you ask, Roch, cuz I was.

Today I bumped up the Interval training to 4 x 1/2 Mile at 3:25 - 3:30.    It was supposed to be 4 x 1/2 Mile at ~3:40, but each time, I hit the quarter mile mark at 1:41 because I've been running 1/4 mile intervals in July and I have 1:41 on the brain.  Repeats were 3:25 / 27 / 29 / 29.

I ran with my new new cheapo wristwatch HR Monitor today, and I think I rang the bell on every repeat.  I'm not sure what my real Max HR is but it used to be pretty durn high, relatively, so hitting 160 / 165 / 165 / 170 didnt alarm me though it said I was at 95% to 100% of Max.  Felt pretty good - it just got to be pretty sweaty by the end and I needed to extend the rest time from about 30 seconds after completing the 1/4 recovery jog to 1:30 so that my HR came down to 130 before beginning that last one.  

When I was running this well pre-injuries, I could run a 5k in about 20:30 - 20:40 with good consistency.  I haven't broken 23:00 in a couple of years now and I'm wondering if things will change at the Pre-Fall Classic 5k two Saturdays from now.  It feels really natural and comfortable right now to run at that pace, but seriously I haven't got any endurance or stamina so I'm not sure I can go sub 7:00 for more than about 3/4 of a mile right now.

Another race that's just beyond my high-beams right now is a 10k on September 7.  I ran the same race last year in just over 49:00, on my 49th birthday.  I think I'll do better this year, and since they moved the race a couple of weeks, I'll still be 49 and have another shot at running my age at this race at 49 years old.  Seeing how endurance and stamina arent't really there right now (15 to 20 mile training weeks for the past two years) I'm not overconfident.

Brian

C-R

Great picture Tom. 3 generations is very cool. Enjoy.

Plenty of condiments in the crowd so I can bring chips. Got my usual 10k at lunch but didn't feel well. Hopefully its a one day thing. Did play golf with DS1 this afternoon. Our league is supposed to be 15+ but we say its just a guideline. It was fun to walk 9 holes together and chase those bad shots.

Congrats on the new gigs Ribs. Well earned.

Kenny Loggins = Caddyshack or Top Gun. Sounded like fun.

All the best Nancy. Be safe and I hope the fires are out soon.

Nice of those partners Leslie. They may help make an improvement in how people view attorneys.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Last night's dinner with our friends was a humbling experience. Here at our table we had two couple who are victims of the fire, both of them have such a positive attitude about the whole thing (including the one who lost everything) that I was in tears when they left. Both couple are daily going up to their area and helping the less fortunate, those who did not have insurance, to go over their char burned property to clean up. Their strong faith is admirable.

Inspiring, indeed!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - Last Friday I was referenced your friend who was going to run a 50k then two weeks later run her first 50-miler.  Was wondering what she did re the 50k and how she did in the 50-miler.

Ah, Carissa did great at the 50K, not even really sore afterward she said, but the 50-miler she was a DNF.  She thinks she got behind on her hydration in the humidity, and at 40 miles she couldn't keep any water down, kept throwing it back up, and the director helped her to an aid station where they gave her IV fluids.  She is going to try another 50-miler on 9/28, but from what I hear, it is a very tough one, maybe not the best choice.  Still, she is in awesome shape, and if she can get her nutrition/hydration down, I think she will do well.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, which son of Kenny Loggins is your DD's favorite?

I think "Footloose" but he did some great remixes of old favorites, giving them a modern feel, and I think she was very surprised at how many she liked.  His vocals are amazing still, and his band members also, so there were some wonderful harmonies - all around a great concert!

Henrun

I've been toying with the idea of playing trombone again.  I did all through high school, college and beyond for a while but then I gave my instrument away to a nephew 20+ years ago.  I bought one off Ebay a few years ago but haven't been motivated to play it.  Then I saw this article about a kid who was robbed of his trombone at gunpoint, and someone known as "Trombone Shorty" who is stepping in to get the kid a new one.  (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/04/arts/music/trombone-shorty-helps-a-young-victim.html)  I started listening to some of his music and I feel some motivation growing to play again.

Dave, when I was young I wanted to play the saxophone but my school did not have a music program and my parents couldn't afford lessons. At the age of 70 I took lessons and learned to read music. Since then I take group lessons through an adult education program at the local high school and, during the school year, have a wonderful time playing alto sax with 4-5 other adults. I try to play on my own several times a week and occasionally play duets with a friend who plays piano or with Marj who also plays piano. I love it. Go for it!

As far as running goes, I "ran" a very slow 2 miles this morning with a mild ankle sprain. Seems better now. Marj and I will test it out during our nightly walk.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, I looked back at what my friend posted on our running groups facebook page. He's competing in the ironman at Lake Stevens the wknd of Aug 16th, and then 2 wks later running a local 100K relay down here, but he's running it solo. 

it's this upcoming wknd when we'll be in Seattle. We leave to drive up on Friday and then leave Monday for the long drive back.  He's especially excited that the two games we will be at, we'll see Iwakuma and Hernandez pitch. And then seeing Pinella inducted at Saturday's game will be exciting as I'm sure many of the former players that I remember from my days up there will be in attendance - Griffey Jr, the Big Unit, Bone, et al. 
                  For Sundays game we got some good seats by 3rd base, 6th row up. Good foul ball territory and David will be sitting in seat 1, so he can quickly get out if needed. 

Tammy - maybe Rob's done it too but, I did the Lake Stevens Half Ironman (now denominated Lake Stevens 70.3) right after Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 2004 and found the Lake Stevens hills much more daunting.  However, you seem to have picked the game-of-the-year for the Seattle Mariners this coming weekend.  Have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Please feel free to share favorite peach based recipes.  I have just started grilling them and I love them in am oatmeal.

grins,

A

Your posts are always peachy

Mari, the worst circumstances often bring out the best in people.

Hi Annabelle!

SteveP