Masters Running

sudden shin splints (Read 526 times)

lswife

I've suddenly developed shin splints, googled the topic, and think you experienced runners can help me too. Two years ago I began running after retirement. I never was an athlete (not the thing for girls to do when I was in school) but the Couch-to-5K program sounded challenging. Finishing that, I've done various 5Ks around the area, enjoyed them, but set no speed records - I run slug-slow or walk fast. 3-5x a week I run/walk for fitness and health (I'm type 2 diabetic, 61, a bit round, and my doctor set a goal of 5x a week.) I don't think I've done anything differently so why shin splints now after two years? Two times ago I felt the fronts of my lower legs hurt a bit; the last time, yes, they hurt more; today, after 17 minutes I had to stop - too painful to continue.Cry I took a couple of tylenol x-strength when I came home, googled it, and read on a few sites to rest. Oh, no! I'm "training" for Indy's 5K the first of May.
      I can't tell you why, but I have recurrent bouts of shin splints. When I feel them coming on, I immediately : 1) back off running and go to the elliptical; 2) ice often (a baggie with about 4:1 water/rubbing alcohol works well as the water doesn't freeze rock solid and you can mold it to your shin.); 3) take some ibuprofen on a regular basis for about 24 hours. I've found incorporating toe lifts into my regular gym routine helps keep them away. Stand on a stair on your toes(or the calf machine at your gym) and let your heels drop, then (do no lock your kness) push up and hold. If you are on the stair, hold some weights in your hands. I do 25 reps with light weights, then 25 with no weights. When I am sitting, I also try to remember to trace the alphabet with my pointed foot. This helps as a preventative measure as well. I cannot "run through" shin splints. They only get worse. Backing off right away at the first twinge usually lets me recover within the week. good luck, Amy
      Masters 2000 miles
      coastwalker

Hi, Amy has given you some great advice and suggestions for dealing with shin splints! I racewalk instead of running, but I'll tell you what happened to me and maybe it'll help: When I first started racewalking, I would get killer shin splints. As was the case with Amy, I couldn't continue racewalking through them because they would just get worse. So I just backed off, and did a lot of icing and toe lifts. What I found that worked best for me in preventing shin splints was simply to start every workout with a relatively easy 1/2-mile walk. That was enough to get the blood flowing in my legs a bit faster than when I'm was at rest, so that there isn't that sudden jolt to the system when I started racewalking that would otherwise cause shin splints. I still do the warm-up walk, and I haven't had a shin splint in years. Good luck! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Prince of Fatness

I have them and am running through them. The caveat is that they don't hurt much at all while I am running. They're actually worse when I am sitting at work. I got them in November and took a couple of weeks off running at that time. I have since eased my way back into running and they still bother me occasionally. They are not bad, but I haven't been able to knock them out completely. Shin splints is a generic term and there are several things that they could actually be. Google it and you'll find out. You will also find a bunch of "cures", too. Along with what is already mentioned you hear about toe taps, walking on your heels, running backwards, etc. One place you'll hear that you need shoes with plenty of cushion, and another you hear that you should run barefoot. It's frustrating. Here's what I have done to get back up to 45 mpw without it getting worse... Improve my flexibility. I do an hour of yoga twice a week and an abbreviated session after every run. Work on my running form. I have been able to get myself to land with my midfoot bearing the weight. I am also landing with my foot under my center of gravity. I'm careful not to exaggerate this. My heel still touches first, but does not bear the weight. Hope that makes sense. Foam roll my calves a couple of times a week. One thing that I am not doing but plan on starting is icing after every run.

Not at it at all. 

I can't answer the "why now" part. I wanted to add that for some types of shin splints your calf muscles are out of balance with the muscle on the front of your shin (yes... you have them). This gets worse when your calf muscles get too tight. If this is your problem you should spend more time on stretching your calves and you should build up the front of your shin muscles. You can use toe taps, very light resistance etc. Good luck. This is not a fun part of running. But most people can get through it. Rest, ice and everything the others mentioned is important as well.

jules2

I've got exactly the same problem and have no idea why and yet I'm not running the mileage I was a few months ago. I've had them before oddly in the other leg and they went completely so I'm cycling more to let it heal.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

How many miles are on your sneakers? I and my DW get shin splints when ours get "old." In my case, since I started deep-sixing my sneakers at 300 miles I have not had shin splints.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lswife

I had called my dr and was waiting for her reply; today her nurse called with the same info you all gave me. Plus, she said not to use any incline on the TM. She also guessed that I had "ramped up" my training in some way (she is right) and told me to back off. Thanks again for your help; your suggestions were right on. Oh, and I bought new running shoes this afternoon.
                    I had them for most of the winter, but had gotten over them in Feb. when I had to cut back for other reasons. Just today, they are back, but not too bad. I did a long run/walk (for me) with more hills up and down than usual, yesterday, and they are back just a little. Ice helps , and the more hills I do - up or down - the more likely I am to have them. You may have to cut back. I am interested in the exercises and the advice these more experienced people are giving you. Good Luck. Woods Lady