Masters Running

Thurs 5/14 Masters Daily Runs and Workouts (Read 550 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

If I remember properly (always a challenge Tongue ), Sacary Bunnies evolved into Holy Handgrenades very quickly Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

5 miles this morning withOUT my Garmin Smile of course I was on a TM Roll eyes and then a 10 mile bike ride.

Tammy

Top 'O the World!

The Big Chill?........... A sentimental fool am I to hear a old love song And wanna cry But the melody keeps haunting me Reminding me how in love we used to be Keep hearing the part that used to touch my heart Saying together forever Breaking up never It's the same old song But with a different meaning Since you been gone It's the same old song But with a different meaning Since you been gone
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          Respectfully, Mr. Beer, sometimes you need to live a little and just run for fun!
          This isn't fun? Of course it is. I run for fun with my garmin. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Boy I missed a few days and it took me forever to catch up! Tramps - what a shocker about the self-reported BQ's. My first thought was that the RD must be sleeping with someone on the BAA board! Twocat - I enjoyed reading your summaries of the research data. Thanks for the hard work. I see the old Garmin vs lap watch debate has reared it's ugly head. Poor Bill, so many opinions! For me, I'd be lost without it. I would be running the first part of a mile at 7:30 pace (hey, I did that in a 5K for the first half mile...and we all know I can't even run one mile that fast!). As long as you subtract that 5 or 6 seconds per mile off the Garmin, it is pretty useful. And no one looks at current pace, only average pace per mile and total accumulated pace. Love the feet on that bunny! Not really running right now, just dealing with this labyrinthitis crap. I did do an 18 min walk today with virtually no balance issues so maybe I am getting better. This is a long journey that I hope never to repeat.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

OK.....with Breger in the church band, Slo singing Amy and playing Pinball Wizard, and Tramps drumming for Marshall Tucker Band......I've got to tell my good news. I just signed a record deal!! I get to buy 11 records for a penny and then just have to buy 8 more at regular retail price plus postage over the next year. So I'm pretty pumped about that!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                I've lost the chest strap to my Garmin and I ain't sweating' it. I'm trying to dial in a marathon pace for me.....I did 8 miles around 7:57/ mile, and my HR was 144-ish (old school hand on neck, stare at watch way) 2 miles WU/WD. Maybe I should just run 8's....the "race math" is easier. Smile Walt
                  Speed group tonight along the trails. 1k warm up then 2X4k at marathon pace (3:56 per K - oops a bit fast) 3k cooldown running with some of the gals on their intervals. Felt pretty good. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

I have never run with a garmin, so I don't know what I'm missing. My timex works fine and I never mind checking my paces later. When running in races they generally have miles marked and I can glance down. I don't sweat running any particular pace, just the best I feel I can do that day. My 5K group at school is finishing their training for the race this sunday. 19 students are scheduled to run, and I am very excited. They have worked hard and most of them are ready, although the course may be a challenge for them. We train on a flat trail. The second half of this race is uphill, so it will be interesting to see who will keep going. We also have 9 teachers plus my DW to run with the kids, so should be a great day. I feel like I just might get some mojo back. had my last final exam last night!!! I just have to finish my synthesis over the summer and my grad work will be done! That is a major load off my shoulders. Celebrated today by running 3 with my 5K club, then running 7 more when I got home tonight. It feels good to get back in the game. Now time for a cold one. WRFB any suggestions? Maybe a 305 lager?

King of PhotoShop

SRL is correct and he ought to know. Several times I have run races where the course was certified, but mile markers were a bit off. It all works out in the end, and these occasions are an anomaly, not the usual, and I think that is the overwhelming point. In the "long run" trust the certified course, even if now and then you will get a mile mark that is not precise. My experience is that when you hit a marker like that several people see it and comment on it. We've all seen this happen, but it is far from the norm. Enke is right that this debate has reared its ugly head. I know I commented on it years ago and as everyone can tell I have a strong bias against it, simply because I think people ought to learn pace. At one time your mother took your bottle away from you. You did fine (I assume). I have never seen an elite runner looking at his Garmin. And finally, I accept that there are many people here who make their living in technical fields, working with data all the time. Lou is one. I assume Bill and Perch do too. But one thing I have always learned about technical folk is that while they love data, they absolutely ABHOR poor data, the GIGO thing. That is why I am often confused about the slavish devotion to inaccurate information, which is so much more easily obtained by focusing on learning pace rather than relying on a bad machine. When I travel, or go on a run around my town where I haven't been before, I wear my Garmin. I think it's the 201! It gives me an approximate distance I ran, which I really like to have. But that's its only use for me. There are people here who use a Garmin on a running track! Go figure. Spareribs

Renee the dog

That is why I am often confused about the slavish devotion to inaccurate information, which is so much more easily obtained by focusing on learning pace rather than relying on a bad machine. When I travel, or go on a run around my town where I haven't been before, I wear my Garmin. I think it's the 201!
                        OK -- data point of one here -- switching from my 201 to the 305 seemed to bring things much closer to reality. Does anyone know if the newer Garmin models are more accurate?

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Ran 6 miles in the Texas heat...I'm acclimating as they're predicting a very hot day for Vermont this year... :-P
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                          RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

SR, There is no way that I would ever be confused with an elite runner, so wearing Mr. Garmin on my wrist does not give anything away. I know you are right about this issue. But. Bill's marathon is just around the corner. He has to figure out (psychologically) what is better for him: sans Mr. Garmin or con Mr. Garmin. It's not about the mile markers or course certification or what have you, even I can do the math required to make mile markers jibe with my wrist companion. Biller has trained very well, he'll have a plan and he will execute that plan on Marathon Day. I truly believe that only he can answer the question, To Garmin or not to Garmin? And, I believe there is no wrong answer. Data schmata! I have the 305, I never download or upload or graph anything. I hardly ever wear the HRM. I just like to measure the mileage. And see what time I started running. So I can report it here.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Wow, I set off quite a bit of chat with my Garmin mishap last night! Yes, it's definitely broken - the start/stop button must have hit the ground first, as it is smushed (technical term, I'm sure) at an angle, and it will neither power up or take a charge. And, yes, even though I bought a new one, I'm going to try a few runs without it on the boardwalk, since I'm pretty sure of distances between a few landmarks there. My work life is separated into 21- and 42-minute intervals, so I try to avoid being a slave to the clock when I'm away from work to the point that I avoid wearing a watch on the weekend or during the summer. Maybe I'll try that with running too - wear the Garmin when I run in PA and go old school when I run on the boardwalk in NJ. I wonder if my being so attached to running with the Garmin has something to do with teaching middle school and spending all day with kids who need to hear a direction at least 5 times before they even begin to consider following it. With the Garmin, I press a button and it starts instantly, press it again and it stops - no whining, no asking me why, no arguing about how unfair it is to have to do work, no telling me that the other teachers don't make them do it. Who cares if it's accurate when it just shuts up and does what it's told!?!?!? Big grin No run today. Met with claims agent from the other guy's insurance company after school and then took mom car-shopping. Scary paws on that bunny in the pic. Good thing I'm still sleep-deprived from the concerts, or it might give me nightmares! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

King of PhotoShop

Be quiet Byoorl. Your cousin just lost his first game which proves mistakes run in your family. Bill, don't listen to anything she says. Spareribs