Masters Running

Happy Memorial Day.......... (Read 37 times)

but let's never forget why we have it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q65CPJ49L4

Dedicated

to my BrotherInLaw

101st Airborne attached to the 173rd

paralyzed in 1966

Died of Wounds 36-years later

=============

40 min bikeride

.................hope you have a beautiful day

..............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Thanks for the start and the video.  A day to remember.

I'm taking the day off, but here are a couple more thoughts from the weekend:

1. Everything went as good as it possibly could. Travel was easy and uneventful. I "just happened" to visit my brother when a the grandbaby was there and a bunch of his wife's family that I never met.  On the way to my brother's I wanted to stop at the Falls for a brief visit, but as I approached I saw a massive holiday weekend traffic backup, so I cut down a side road and found a spot a couple hundred yards from the Falls that was free parking for an hour (which is all I needed.)

2. After the my race was over, I knew Mike would't be far behind in the full, so I walked over to a spot a couple blocks from the finish to cheer him on.  It was right by a band stage and someone was giving out cow bells to bang on.  So I thought it would be great to bang the cow bell when Mike went by.  I thought I saw him coming and was cheering and banging away, but he totally ignored me.  I thought he must really be focused so I walked back to the finish to see him there.  But when I saw him there, I realized it wasn't Mike.  I guess I should have worn my glasses to the race after all.  Those skinny little speedsters all look alike when they are blurry.  Then I saw Ryan at the finish and he said Mike had just finished. If I had only stayed on the course for another minute I would have seen him go by.

3. At the pasta dinner, a couple from Minneapolis was sitting right next to us, so Mike talked to them for a bit.  They asked what he was doing later in the year and he mentioned the Vermont 50-miler.  Then the woman says, "Oh, I've done a 100-miler in Vermont a few times."  Mike said that you would think saying running 50 would sound impressive but it never turns out that way.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Thanks for the reminder, TomW. It's always good to remember why this day exists. Thanks to all who have served this country and helped preserve our freedoms.

Sounds like a good trip to Buffalo, Dave. I'm sure the Mike stand-in appreciated all your cheering and bell-ringing. It's scary when a 50 miler isn't enough...

I hope everyone's races and weekends have gone wonderfully well.

I'm way behind on the daily, so no summary/comments from me today. Our trade conference (Fri-Sunday mid-day) was good but flat-out exhausting. I was scheduled to race a 5K on Sunday morning, but DW was getting fried from the conference, so I decided to go to help out at our exhibit booth instead. On top of the conference, we had weekend guests (family) arrive on Friday night, so we've been as busy at home as at the conference. We think the conference was good for us, but haven't run the numbers yet, so we don't really know. But we are so glad that it is over and that we can relax a bit till the next big thing comes along. Next year, the conference will be in Seattle...

I slept in a bit this morning, but was still out the door by 5:45 for a good 8.2 mi. RW workout. When I finished stretching and showering, DW and our guests were heading out for a walk. So I went with them for another easy 3 miles. Now we're making breakfast, and then will get these folks on their way home - a 5-6 hr. drive without holiday traffic. I'll do some yard work later today, but will also definitely take it easy before the work week begins.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks for the reminder, TomW. It's always good to remember why this day exists. Thanks to all who have served this country and helped preserve our freedoms.

+1

Dave - that sounds like a great weekend.

jay - that does indeed sound exhausting.  Hopefully it worked out well for you.

No run for me today, just 40 minutes or so of weights and core work.

On tap today, errands, house cleaning, gardening.

Enjoy the day, folks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave, I bet it was easy to spot Ryan in the crowd even without your glasses on!

I'm so excited that Karin, Mike, and I are all registered for the Vermont 50 miler in September!  Registration is still open, and they also have a 50k and a 50 mile relay (2 or 3 person team).   Who else is joining the fun?  Okay, "fun" might be a stretch here, especially for the last 30 miles or so, but the RA gathering will be a blast!    They have 10-year AGs, and Karin will now be in mine.  Oh, well, maybe I'll come in 2nd. 

Happy Memorial Day!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morining everybody!

Ryan and I ended up driving straight through, last night, (mainly to avoid that holiday traffic, coastwalker spoke of) and we rolled into the driveway just before 6 am.  I put all my stuff away (I hate that part of going on trips) and got a couple hours of sleep.  Now, I'm up and "ready" to tackle the day.

Yeah...it was fun to see those people from Minnesota at the pasta dinner, but they kind of started to annoy me.  They kept wanting to talk and I was trying to talk to Dave.  I always try to imagine what you all are like in real life and I think I had Dave figured just about right.  He really is a good guy and meeting him was the highlight of my trip.

I am disappointed that I never met IBUB.  I received a text from him, while we were at the post race party, that he had taken a bad fall and was heading to his hotel.  I haven't heard from him since, so I really hope he is okay.

Speaking of post race party...I checked the results and saw that I had placed 2nd in my age group.  So, we went ahead and waited the extra hour and a half for the awards to be handed out.  When it was time for the age groupers, they announced that the awards will all be mailed out, and that there was no reason to come up when they read the award winner's name.  Everybody there looked kind of stunned, as there was a table full of plaques.  So, as other people just started leaving, Ryan and I hung around to hear all the names announced and found out the plaques were for the relay teams...I'm still scratching my head over ther whole thing...and because my head itches from not taking my shower, yet.

Okay--that's it for now.  Have a great Memorial Day!

King of PhotoShop

Thank you TW.  Sometimes the "holiday" gets lost in the shuffle.

The Saint and I drove into Dallas and had a nice, brisk walk of about 3.5 miles on the Katy Trail in the rain.  We got mixed up in a Memorial Day event called "Carry the Load", a celebration of the lives of those we've lost.  People started walking last night at about 3 a.m.  It was quite moving, as many of the walkers had the names of the soldiers whose lives they were honoring.  We saw many soldiers carrying full packs with one or both legs gone, using prostheses.  It was a good way to help us become one with the day.

Aamos, that double marathon you asked me about was this weekend in Dallas.

Dave, well done on your Buffalo race.

The Saint asked me to weigh myself yesterday.  I am at 127 lbs., so I decided to suspend my VB6 diet for a few weeks while I eat some meat and carbs and get back to "normal."  Spareribs

Memorial day makes me think of all who have given their lives for their country.  To my knowledge, my only relative to die in battle was a great great uncle who was with Custer.  A great grandfather fought in the Civil war and was a prisoner at Andersonville.  My dad and several of my uncles saw action in WWII.  A couple cousins served in Viet Nam.  Then, there were a few more, like me, who were in the service but didn't see action.

Dave and Mike, neat you got to meet up and do well in your respective races.  wild, congrats to your daughter on her graduation.  Nice pictures.

Nice long runs for Aamos, Twocat, marj, fatozzig, Holly, perch, and evan.

This morning, it was in the high 50s and almost calm.  I did 5 miles at an 11:12 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

It sounds like Mike and Dave had good races.  I'll have to backread to get the story.

I did 4 miles yesterday at the cabin.  My favourite forest trail is shut down until next spring, so I am left running up and down a rural dirt road, unless I want to run on the hiway, which is no.  I slept a lot at the cabin, which is typical.

Today I came home early and headed up to the horse trails for 4.66 sweaty miles.

Ribs - you are really earning your name now.  Eat!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I apologize for not having looked at everybody's posts, but I had to come in here and share with you all . . . . .

After 3 days and 70 miles of running . . . I got a 50k PR today by at least 2 minutes, having finished in 7:18:??.  Thankfully, they extended the 19.5 mile/1:00 p.m. cutoff by 5 minutes as I showed up at 1:08.  After that, it was on.  The last aid station was a little less than 4 miles from the finished, and I pounded it out 45 minutes.  I left absolutely nothing on the course.  I am so dang happy!!!

I gotta go call my coach, but I had to come in and share with you all.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Very nice Leslie.

Thanks for your service Tslebs. Just wearing the uniform makes you my brother.

TW - thanks. My dad was the 187th Rackasans and had combat jumps in Korea and with the 101st 173rd in VM. Thinking of those men makes my short time seem inconsequential but I admire who they are and what they gave.

6.5 miles today reflecting on lots of big picture things.

Happy Monday all.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

As bad as all the horrible terror and sub-humans behind it all around the world sometimes seem, it was a lot worse for our veterans and would be a lot worse for us too except for them.  Both father and uncle who survived into their eighties and hundreds of other veterans honored with flags on their grave sites today.

I got a 50k PR today by at least 2 minutes, having finished in 7:18:??. .

Leslie.  Congratulations on a 50K PR, especially in Portland’s up-and-down

Forest Park and follwing almost a marathon up on the treacherously steep trails

on Capitol Peak near Doveland by Olympia. 

Maybe MikeE and others might like to hear more

about your tapering in opposite land. .
                          How did the others do too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

After 3 days and 70 miles of running . . . I got a 50k PR today by at least 2 minutes, having finished in 7:18:??.  

Wow - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Wildchild's DD simply rocks.

So, we went ahead and waited the extra hour and a half for the awards to be handed out.  When it was time for the age groupers, they announced that the awards will all be mailed out, and that there was no reason to come up when they read the award winner's name.

We went through that this weekend as well.

yay 50K pr!!!

Well put Tet.

A nephew of ours got married in Michigan's Upper Peninsula over the weekend. When we checked into the hotel (whose internet service kept dropping) we saw there was a race the next morning.  While DW, Tag and I checked the park out, we saw a couple running together and they looked so poetic in their fluid strides. When they passed, I asked if we were going to see them at the race the next morning. They stopped and talked to us. They asked what time registration was and where it was at.

7:00 Am Saturday, Tag and I saw Tony and Dani registering for the 5K. It was no surprise that they took 1st OA in male and female. What did surprise me was that the event had just under 100 people and had cash prizes. (I told the dog to expect a cluster at race time because of the cash prizes). Tony and Dani each earned $400.00 and did not appear to have cracked a sweat.

Though the race advertised being dog friendly, our mutt was the only dog there. The park did have the best poop sacks available anywhere. They could be in the poop sack hall of fame. According to Map My Run, he and I started 1/4 mile back as Tag's pre-race hyper carp can get loud. We finished in 33: and some change and got 3/3 AG. 39/91 OA.

Post race, there three types of coffee available. Bananas and watermelon. Muffins galore. Fresh mixed granola with skim milk and hot nachos. All sorts of little kids came up to pet and hug Tag. He also had nachos for the first time. After the first one, he found new energy. He took his 2nd beef and cheese laden chip, flipped it in the air and he missed the catch. It landed upside down on his ear. His tongue could not quite reach.

Here's the hardware we can expect to receive.

and here's my next shirt:

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations Leslie!  You sound a little excited...

Congratulations to you, too, Steve....and Tag...and everybody else who got out there and raced or ran this weekend.