Masters Running

The Friday Daily. 8.24.12 (Read 359 times)

coastwalker

Morning' all.

All of the numbers in today's date are easily divisible by 4. I don't know what that means.

Tselbes - thanks for the PI remedy. This far into it, I'm doing my best to ignore it, and am looking forward to signs of it fading away.

Happy Anniversary, Enke! Are you both signing up for another 26?  BTW, nice summary of new 'standard phrases.'

Happy Birthday, Ribs!! How's the march toward 66 for the week going? What are you going to do next week?

Fatozzig, some people are never happy, no matter how much you do for them. Sounds like your fellow from Oregon is one of those people.

Twocat, when is this year's RTB? Whenever I can, I at least like to get down to watch the last leg runner as they go by our neighborhood toward the finish at Hampton Beach. Good luck and good times to you and your team.

A big CONGRATS!! on the good news from the doc, PBJ!

5.25 racewalking miles at 4:15 o'dark this morning. 63F and muggy, with wisps of ground fog. There were no clouds in the sky, but there was no moon to light my way either. I passed a guy on foot who said he was lost, and wanted to know which way Exeter (10-15 miles west) was. I pointed him in the right direction, and we parted ways. Weird. I just took it easy most of the way this morning - it always surprises me how much and how quickly humidity sucks the juice out of me, and turns what should be an easy workout into a struggle. But then there are dry days when I feel like I'm flying. So I just take it as it comes and remember that dealing with whatever is out there is just another life-lesson.

I wish good luck, good speed, and big smiles to all of this weekend's racers, and to the rest of the runners and walkers and swimmers and bikers too!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Another easy 2 miles for me this morning. Just getting loose for another day of lion taming computer programming. 

Tomorrow is the 10-mile crowded long run down in Flint.  Maybe I'll run into one of the other masters forum guys.  I'm just going to goof off in the run.  It has become an excuse to get out of the nut house for half a day.

I got the water back on all the way yesterday afternoon so I quickly ran the dishwasher and washed some clothes before any new leaks could be sprung.

I was supposed to have been on a business trip this week but it was postponed until sometime in September.  Cindy said it was providence that I was here to handle the water issues.   I call it rotten luck. Joking

In the TMI department on the fatozzig issues, I had that problem in my early days of running, but over the years my body has apparently adjusted so that I go almost immediately after getting up in the morning and just never have issues while running any longer. But if I have to get up extra early -- as I will tomorrow to drive up for the Crim -- I'll use Tselbs's method for extra insurance (also get there early before the porta-johns line up!).

Speaking of the Crim, I drove up there yesterday to pick up my stuff. Man, downtown Flint sure is a depressing place 364 days out of the year. Or maybe it was just me. I'm treating this as my last time at this race -- at least for a while -- as everyone I used to know around here or meet up there has dropped out over the years. I plan on just running for the experience instead of for time, but then that's what I always say up to when the gun goes off.

Good luck to all the other weekend racers out there! RRs on Monday, please.

And a belated Happy Birthday to Ribs and Happy Anniversary to Enke.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Nice to have you back PBJ

A nice 8+ this morning. Temps a little warmer but a nice run.

Hmm... I thought something was screwy when I picked up my bib yesterday. My number was listed as 282, which is a really low number, and I only found it at the table for the "elite" runners. The guy there questioned my eliteness and I said I certainly was not in that category, but there it was with my name on it so he gave it to me.

I just checked my registration online and they actually have me listed twice: once with an elite number and once with a normal one (the name, age, and city match for both entries). So it's their screwup and I guess I'll keep the bib I have. The only thing it could do for me is give me admittance to the elite runners' corral, which starts just behind the Kenyans. But I'd really feel like a cheater and won't do that!

On the other hand, picking up the 2nd bib tomorrow would give me another beer and slice of pizza after the race... Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

I was supposed to have been on a business trip this week but it was postponed until sometime in September.  Cindy said it was providence that I was here to handle the water issues.   I call it rotten luck. Joking

Big grin

Working from home today because the countertops are supposed to be installed.  We paid a small fortune for corian and I'm somewhat terrified I won't like the color.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Regardless, we're stuck with it for at least 3 years, because that's how long it will take to pay for it....Roll eyes

DH is gone until tomorrow at a golf outing with some buddies, so I think the kids and I will rent a movie tonight and relax.  Mirror, Mirror, I'm thinking, possibly.

I used the extra time to run a bit longer - 13 miles for me this morning.

I hear a truck pulling up outside....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

I am worried that "fatozzig-like issues" might become a standard phrase.....for, you know....

kind of like "doing an Enke"......which, by the way, I have not done in at least a year.

and going to disreputable internet sites will now be called..."doing a TomWhite"

Having an awesome race photo will be "pulling a Holly" or its alternative, "pulling a Wildchild"

Getting up at dark o' 4am will be "channeling my inner Coastwalker"

I could go on.....but I'll stop here.

Big grin

Enkephalin...this is Priceless...

Please do go on!!!

No running today, getting ready to leave to the Oregon Coast. Waving madly to WoodsLady. I will call you tomorrow to see what our schedule looks like. My DH;s niece is getting married tomorrow...how fun.

I will be off line till next week...you kids behave!!!

PBJ, great news from the doc.

Look at twocat, placing on all his races! 

Spareribs, what was for dinner?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

So what was big yesterday on the daily?  Twocat relieved me by telling me it's okay to run marathons after age 50.  Whew on that one!

PBJ is healthy and it will be good to have more of him.

Enke was funny as hell yesterday.

The Greek mathematician Euclid wrote "The Elements."

I don't ever want to run those courses that Ek runs; the Chute etc.  I'm so used to hot and flat here.

Mariposai, the rib cage went out to a beer and burger joint where we played trivia.  We didn't win but had an awesome time.  Sometimes in these games you just so happen to hit questions where everyone at the table knows the answer and that is not good, or no one at the table knows the answer and that is even worse.  Last night was one of those nights.  To win, you need questions that are unique, that we call "differentiators," where you know the answer and you're pretty sure the other teams are unlikely to get it.

Here are two questions for Mariposai from last night, both of which relate to South America:

1) What are the first 5 South American countries, in alphabetical order?

2)  Brazil occupies what percent of the land area of South America?  A) 32%  B) 40%  C)  48%

We rattled off number one easily, but missed number two.

Thanks everyone on the birthday wishes, both here and on FB.  It made me so happy.  Six easy miles this morning. I have 12 more to go to hit 66 for the week.  Spareribs

Bushrat Runner

Finally wrote up the Valley Road Run race report...find it in its own thread if you are starved for ways to spend your day. Actually, it isn't that long. Rare for me to be that brief, I'll do better next time. Or worse, depending on how you view verbosity...

Dinner was wonderful last night.  I can't imagine not being able to taste things.  What a joy it was.  All the flavours were wonderful, especially the "house garlic sauce".

This morning it was a chilly 51F, kind of like a splash of cold water in the face, but I woke up hot and sweaty so it was perfect.  Did an easy 3.2 miles.  Foot pinged right at the end, which is annoying since it has been fine for weeks.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey roch - wouldn't the elites get unlimited beer and pizza?  Woohoo.

No run this morning - just a little fizzy lifting, spinerooni, and eliptification.

This weekend - I hope to do a 12 miler.  Wish me luck.

Marathon Maniac #957

The Greek mathematician Euclid wrote "The Elements."

I looked that one up this morning and talked to DS about Euclid.  300 B.C.   Amazing the profound effect he had.

Okay - the IM thing cracked me up....Big grin

I think Fatozzig needs to refrain from using the phrase "butt load" from here on out.   Wink

The counters are on, and look good, but don't match the paint on the walls as well as I would like. Still, the planned tile back splash will hopefully tie it all together.  Anyone know how to do that?

ETA - I just read that a world record was set at the HM I ran last weekend.  Mike Freeman, of Cincinatti, set a new world record for 90-year-olds, completing the race in 3:21:27.   90 years old, and still running HMs! 

http://ohiorunning.com/?p=2000

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly and Posie Lady are cracking me up.  Big grin

Rest day today.  Tomorrow, church clean-up-the-neighborhood morning work-a-thon, running in the afternoon, church in the evening.  Saturday has already zoomed by and it hasn't even arrived yet.

We actually woke up to blue skies and sunshine this morning!!  Woot Woot!  Seriously folks, I think this is the first morning we've woken up to sun in almost two months.  It's been a dreary summer, indeed.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Spareribs that link describing various types of IM is hysterical!  Thanks for the tip.

rochrunner congratulations on entering the ranks of elite runners!  Big grin  Enjoy it while it lasts!

rhoon phast are there bears in the report?  I am not reading it if there are no bears!  Wink

Holly S. generally once everything is in it looks good.  It turns out to be pretty hard to go wrong.  I bet you like the way the new kitchen looks.

I ran yesterday so no running for me today.  Just the elliptical.  Tomorrow is the penultimate whacky race distance race in the series: 9.3 miles.  Well, in some ways the last one.  The final race is actually at the sensible distance of 10 miles a week from Saturday.

I have decided I must be one scary dude!  I am working on a paper with three co-authors.  They are all over the place.  Two are in Singapore and one in France.  Given the time differences pretty much everything we say to each other is via email.  The guy in France and one of the Singapore authors only seem willing to communicate with me via the other co-author.  Roll eyes  I am really get fed up with this!  Okay, back to work on the paper.  Yes, that one.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/