Masters Running

Friday, 8.21.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

I just checked FB for a new report from Mariposai, but didn't see anything. Then I realized it is the middle of the night there. I'm hoping that she and her community are spared from any more tragedy.

Thanks for your comments about our dam project, and this latest wrinkle that is being thrown at us. I got a call, after I left the office, from the Army Corps of Engineers (who also has a say in this), and the guy sounded about as befuddled as I feel. I'm looking forward to speaking with him this morning to find out what he might be able to do to help us out.

The 10K last night, one of only two evening races I do each year, was interesting. Wednesday had been hot and sunny, but yesterday turned cooler, very muggy, and very foggy. The fog near the coast never burned off all day, so the race started and finished in fog. The temp was probably in the low-mid 70s, and the humidity had to be near or over 90%. Rather than holding back, as I had planned to do if it was hot, I just decided to go for it and see what happened. There were a few people along the way who were going just slightly faster than me, and I used them to pull me along. There were also the usual suspects who went out quick, but started to fade later in the race, and I worked on picking them off as well. I was very surprised that I was able to catch and pass about 10 people in the last mile. I kept checking my Garmin at each mile, and as long as I was in the 10s, I was OK. However, a couple of miles were in the 10:40s, and I wasn't happy with that. I finished in 1:06+ with an average pace of 10:36, which was good enough for me to be the first walker to finish. I won an autographed novel by the RD, a coveted Saunders At Rye Harbor 10K shirt (you have to earn your shirt at this race - that is the only way to get one), and $100. It wasn't my fastest time at this race, but it did take some of the sting out of the day's dam events.

Have a greta Friday! I'm wishing fleet feet to all of this weekend's racers.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice racing, Jay. Hope that the whole dam thing gets settled.

5:30am flight from Norfolk this morning after yesterday got cancelled due to weather. Since everyone else had the same problem, I ended up with a two stop trip to Boston. Then off to work for the afternoon.

I'm going to get to spend the weekend getting used to an iPhone--I dropped my droid on gravel and fractured the screen. Apples are the company standard. Sort of hate going to the dark side.

Sure hope Posie, family, and friends have homes to go home to soon. Scary times.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin,....

Called it!  Way to go Jay, hope you spend the winnings on something just for you.

Apples are easy, Stumps.  Mileys of Smileys  to you and marj and beantowners.

Lungs were so happy to be at sea level, had a surprisingly peppy Speedster run last night.  5.5 easy this am after 8 last night.  And even though I missed the Speedster Social over the weekend, they voted me "Most Inspiring," ain't that something? 

....will be checking back to see if there's news from the west.  Very scary.

Happy and/or at least safe weekends, all.

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Who ever keeps track...you can put me down for 6.86 this morning.

I have been checking the news for Mariposai's town. The news is that it is being used to hold refugees and stage equipment. I am assuming that  means the fires are not too bad in the immediate area.

Another day, another hour on the elliptical.  Abdomen feels really good!  So the give it a rest plan is working.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice racing, Jay. Hope that the whole dam thing gets settled.

+1

We are having friends over for hors d'oeuvres and then heading to an outdoor concert of a local favorite band.  I am making tomato and basil bruschetta with my garden produce and will top with very thin slices of grilled sirloin, plus I picked up some fresh hummus and baba ganoush from our local Mediterranean place.  Good thing I did a long run today.

20.1 miles for me in 58-68 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New skirt in town

9.1 miles early this morning. It was 72F and 93% humidity when I started, so I took it nice and slow. Torrential downpours punctuated miles 2-4. I felt vaguely yucky at the start, and had to make a few porta potty stops. I got back home and only felt worse! I was able to choke down some breakfast, but I really didn't want it, which is odd after 9 miles. After 1 hour in the office, I knew I wasn't going to make it. Much as I hate canceling patients, I just had to leave. I managed to drive myself home, stopping only twice because I was afraid of barfing (I didn't). 6 hours on the couch sipping Gatorade, and I'm starting to feel a wee bit better. Tummy is still super grumbly and I still can't handle solid food.

As lousy as I feel, I consider myself lucky after watching the news about the Washington fires. The interview with the father of the 20-year old firefighter was so terrible and tragic.

Hoping all is well with Posi.

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for fire updates.

There are so many being reported on the news it's hard to follow but Chelan area seems to be one of the hardest hit. Omak Airport reported on fire with winds to 60mph last night and 54mph over the lunch hour.  No smoke at all in Seattle but choking smoke levels reported in Idaho and infiltrating Montana too. Posie/Pacer, Chelan updates much apprecaited.

Taper Day 2 for Sunday's mini-triathlon.

How'd deezie do in her Half-Iron 4X-5X my distances last week?

How's TW?  Someone bring his computer downstairs.

I wonder if anyone would like to be my guest at the Joyful's beer-load.,.. I mean carbo-loading fest at the Portland Marathon. Maybe econo and tammy can do one of the shorter distances now offered or walk it with me (I won't tell anyone).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I hope you feel a lot better soon, Robin.

Hey tet--how about the Portland Marathon 2016?

I think I told you guys that Ryan moved to Wyoming a couple months ago.  Well, yesterday, he moved further west to Arcata, California.  I wonder how close that is Leslie.  Anyway--he called, today, all excited.  He had just run through the redwoods and he  just couldn't say enough about how beautiful it is out there.  ALSO--he had enrolled in a college to finally get his degree.  He had sent a request to Augustana for his transcript and, today, he received an email from them saying that he already had enough credits to graduate and are mailing his diploma to him.  I don't know if I have heard a more happy kid.  Which makes me happy.

Speaking of happy...the cross country season has started and I get to run with the team, tomorrow!  I did my long run, tonight, so I could just enjoy my time with the kids.

15 miles in 1:46:36.

The setting sun was a bright orange, tonight.  I said a prayer for Nancy and all the people dealing with the fires out west.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

I have a friend from high school who now lives in the Chelan area. She posts pictures on Facebook that are as scary or worse than what Mariposai has posted. Yikes, just too much! And that wind has got to go.

That's pretty cool about Ryan, Mike. He didn't even know he completed his requirements to graduate? That seems weird, but glad he got it done. Is he still going for more?

We had a really nice day today. After all week being kind of grey, windy and wet, today was partly cloudy with lots of sun and temps got up to high 60's. Nice! So, I went for a late easy'ish run at the end of the work day. We have a cross country 5k tomorrow, that's actually always short (how hard is it to measure a 5k??) at 2.8 miles or so. It's race #7 in our local club's series, and Equinox is the last in the series. Season is winding down quickly!

Marathon Maniac #957

ALSO--he had enrolled in a college to finally get his degree.  He had sent a request to Augustana for his transcript and, today, he received an email from them saying that he already had enough credits to graduate and are mailing his diploma to him. 

That is so cool!

Portland Marathon 2016?  Hmmmm.....I don't have Oregon....

I was looking at a map of the fires in Washington and wondering, how do so many fires get started so far apart all over the state at the same time?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."