Masters Running

Weightloss Healthy Eating Challenge - Week 1 (Read 240 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I miss Holly!! Smile Are we all up for this again? I got on the scale after my run this morning, so I'm not sure how totally accurate it is but I weighed in at 134.8 which is 1.2 pounds down from last week. I really feel like I am finally on track and I am eating much better! I pack lunches every night for both DH and myself and since he is trying to loose a few pounds too, our dinners are pretty sensible too. I'm even eating things I don't like. This week I had both brocolli and cauliflower for a few dinners. I'm not so sure brocolli agrees with me though .... Sad Good luck everone!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Thanks for getting this started Mary! I am about the same, 135, which is not surprising since I couldn't get my lazy *** out of bed this morning. This is the first Thursday I can remember that I have NOT run Sad . So far, I've only logged 3.5 miles this week Cry . I am going to beat myself up a lot for this Black eye. Sounds as though you are doing everything right and hey, if you can stand both brocolli and cauliflower for a few dinners, more power to you Dead . I am a huge fan of fiber and even though it doesn't agree w/ you, it's doing you good! I predict we'll get Holly to join in with us again Big grin
        Good morning ladies. Mary - thanks for keeping this thread going! It helps me keep accountable for the food I shove in my mouth (well, sometimes anyway) Good news for me today - 124 lbs. That's down 3 from last week! I know that isn't realistic, but I've amped up my running miles (already have 22 in for the week) and I'm really trying to eat healthier. Even if I'm only down one pound, it's a step in the right direction. I don't know what you guys have against brocolli and cauliflower. I love the stuff! Brussel sprouts are even better. There aren't very many vegetables that I don't like - maybe beets Dead I hope we can help motivate each other. Easter is coming, and you know what that means - jelly beans, chocolate bunnies, marshmallow peeps (which I read have a shelf life of 2 years!).....

Marathon Maniac #957

I predict we'll get Holly to join in with us again Big grin
          I know, I know, I shouldn't be here, but I did, after all, weigh myself this morning and (surprise surprise), I'm still EXACTLY THE SAME! But that's really not bad, considering it's TTOTM again (which hopefully means I won't have that to deal with at my upcoming race). But that's okay, I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't try to lose weight until after the marathon. What with my reduced running schedule duriing taper, it will be all I can do to avoid GAINING weight, let alone losing any... Roll eyes Jlynne - way to go!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

JLynne, I'm with you, except that I love beets!! Have you had them roasted? Honestly, Mary I bet you'd even love cauliflower roasted in the oven. I got the procedure (not really a recipe) from Cooks Illustrated (excellent magazine, btw) and it's wonderful. Roasting brussels sprouts is great, too. I love any kind of vegetable... except lima beans. (Maybe they're not truly a veg so it's ok... I've just never liked those nasty, pasty, dry little things.) Holly, maintaining is the next best thing to losing, especially when you're so close to your desired weight anyway. Like Holly, I'm maintaining. Actually, I'm nothing short of amazed at my consistency. I weigh during the week, and I go up and down (always down on Mondays after long runs, up on Saturdays after a lazy Friday), but for the last I don't know how many Thursdays, I've been ..... ..... ..... 141.5. That's down 2-3 pounds from last fall so I'm happy with that. But not at my goal of being solidly sub-140 before Boston. But I agree, it's virtually impossible to lose weight when you're training for a marathon, and probably not a good idea anyway. So, I'll prolly just stay here (what else is new?) and work on it a bit later on.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Lets just say that I am probalby the pickiest eater ever - but at least I am trying to do better and my mom is so proud. Wink I tried the brocolli raw and almost spit it out. Cooked is okay and I think I will learn to like it. I just had terrible on/off stomach cramps after eating it though and I am used to fiber. Cauliflower I can do raw or cooked - but it is pretty rubbery raw. Evanflein - would you be so nice as to post exactly how to roast those veggies! I think it is something I would like an I know DH would love it! The *same* is good Fussy - better than gaining!! Big grin 3 pounds is Awesome JLynne!!! I'm not so sure I'm brave enough to try a brussel sprout though ..... Hi Holly - glad to see you popping in to see us.

~Mary

~unknown

evanflein

Mary, I'll post it tomorrow. I can't remember the oven temp now... 475 I think. But the same technique works for sprouts, too.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great - thank you!!

~Mary

~unknown

Erika - I'm dying to know how to roast beets. Can roasting actually improve the taste of those awful things? Mary - with your sensitive stomach, can you eat things like Fiber One bars? They really mess me up. Watched the news this morning. Our city has it's first "vegan" restaurant - no meat, dairy, tofu - nothing. In an area where cheese and brats are served for breakfast, I'm not so sure this restaurant has a chance to succeed! Hi Holly - your pictures posted on today's daily are beautiful. You look like your DH's daughter, not wife! Big grin And - you don't look like you need to lose any weight to me.
                      i'm so glad we're still doing this!! so i weighed myself last night before going in to work since it was like my morning and i was down 3lbs from last thursday --- that's a good feeling!! Smile now if i can stay on track -- i think the pretzels are becoming my downfall -- even tho i buy the fat free ones the calories and SALT still take a toll -- going to try and decrease my intake of those!! nice job everyone for maintaining or losing -- healthy eating is our goal!!

denise

Prince of Fatness

March 27 - 168 lbs. I'm down a pound. Just a few more to go. I have to admit that now that I am up near 50 mpw running, my appetite is getting harder to keep under control. Trying to keep a balance.

Not at it at all. 

Marathon Maniac #957

So get this, I'm running 50-60 mpw and can't lose a single lb., now after my first week at reducing mileage, I dropped 2 lbs. Confused Of course, that's because I didn't have the excuse of "I'll just run it off tomorrow," so I've been much more careful about snacking. And DH just called to say the kids want to go swimming after dinner at a new rec center. First time in a swimsuit since last August, you know that's serious incentive not to overeat at dinner. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."