Masters Running

Tuesday 12/18 Daily Show (Read 337 times)

Tramps

No daily yet?  Really?  Everyone must be busy with holiday stuff.

Enke—ouch. Hope you’re not too sore today.

Wonderful pics from Troy again.  I want to ski down that well-groomed road. But, man, that’s a lot of clothes.  I was still in shorts and a short-sleeve shirt today.

Tough 10 today with 5 tempo miles where I started too quickly and ended too slowly.  I blame the weird weather.  Foggy, damp and light drizzle at start.  Sunny, warm and bright blue sky by the finish.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Tough 10 today with 5 tempo miles where I started too quickly and ended too slowly. 

I stalked you log Tramps...Looks like a nice run to me.

I had the same plans except my tempo never came to fruition. I got one mile in and that one was about 15 sec's off pace to slow and felt like carp. I did manage 10 at what appears to be a decent pace but it was heavily labored.

Holiday? What holiday?! Just kidding...well, sort of, kind of and not really....decided not to get stressed about whatever's unfinished and just focus on the here and now. I have some extra travel for work as my colleagues and I cover for a colleague undergoing chemo now. Grateful for my health and the general chaos that is my life. Too much loss all around to worry about late holiday cards, dust bunnies that are really elephant size, and the various projects that await attention. 

Two runs to post---yesterday early morning on a hotel treadmill. 4 sweaty and boring miles. This morning I did some "for the heck of it hills"----8 mile loop with 6 x long climb hill. Raining steadily and not too icy.

Hope you are okay enke...yowsa, scary. 

Nice run Tramps! Hi Slo!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I started out in a mist that turned into something resembling a dleuge. Oh well, at least it was windy. 3.1 very damp miles. managed to avoid any major puddles for the first two miles, Then hit a big one with both feet. Sort of freeing, actually, 'cause then I didn't have to try as hard to avoid them anymore. 46°, so shorts in the middle of December. Keeps me wondering how people can say that there's not some sort of climate change going on.

Happy pre-Christmas week to all. Hope your shopping is going well.

Enke--glad you're OK--save the spills for the trails where they belong Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Nicely done Tramps.

Slo - may have been labored but its another notch in the fitness belt.

Here and now is good advice CNY. Oh and fine running as always. 

I just get wet right away Stumpy. Takes all the weight off. 

I think I finally hit the double stride. 3 in the am and 6+ in the evening (whatever I feel like). I'm thinking of running 52 miler next June. Seriously what is wrong with me.

Carpe diem.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

I did manage 10 at what appears to be a decent pace but it was heavily labored.

That's approaching MP pace!  (I can log-stalk too, you know.)  Nice.

C-R--52?  What is that, two laps?  Ouch.

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

C-R--52?  What is that, two laps?  Ouch.

Yeah. Slo plays like he's not fast but some of us know first hand that ain't so.

Actually its a point to point. I need a running intervention or something.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Glad you're okay Enke.

Nice run Tramps.

6 easy for me.  Spareribs

Maybe there's something I'm missing, and I have very limited marathon experience, but isn't MP a comparatively easy pace when doing a training run? For me at least, my HM pace is slower than my 10M pace, which is slower than my 10K pace, which is slower than my 5K pace. So why would running a couple of miles at MP be notable? Actually, I now run quicker than my last marathon pace almost every time I go out. But as I said, I was far, far from being a competitive marathoner! Can someone explain?

Anyway, I did my usual duathon this morning: a spinning class followed by laps in the pool. Swimming is actually starting to come easier these days and I feel like I've got a much more fluid stroke now (relatively speaking, that is!).

Looking forward to a run tomorrow. This afternoon I'm going to go see The Hobbit, which I haven't been looking forward to nearly as much as the original LOTR trilogy.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

............ I need a running intervention or something.

..We invited

you here because we're Concerned about you.........

and

we've fed your Running Shoes to a Dog because we love you.

===========

...but I digress.......

30min BikeRide 30's................hopefully I can keep this Crappe up til Spring when I'm giving it One Last Shot........

also

the Pool's closed another 12-days

which is beginning to affect my Mind.

.........I ate an entire box of Fudge last night,

and I swear I felt my stomach jiggling this morning

obviously

PoolRunning only works if done every 48-hours//////

.......................good running guys............Waddling Off to work on some EOY Books

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

So why would running a couple of miles at MP be notable? Actually, I now run quicker than my last marathon pace almost every time I go out. But as I said, I was far, far from being a competitive marathoner! Can someone explain?

My last marathon pace, excluding the Monkey, was around 7:48. I trained at this pace quite a lot.

My easy runs range from 8:00 to 8:44, and for my recovery runs I will call anything slower than that.

For me, running 10 miles at 8:14, I think that was my avg today, I would not call an easy run. 8:30 would be easy.

Running 4 or 5 miles at that 8:14 pace I would call easy.

When I train at MP pace for distances over 8 miles it's usually about 15 sec slower than what I would hope to do in the actual Marathon. I'll do lots of runs at my target but usually they are shorter...primarily to lock onto the feel of that pace.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, and I have very limited marathon experience, but isn't MP a comparatively easy pace when doing a training run? For me at least, my HM pace is slower than my 10M pace, which is slower than my 10K pace, which is slower than my 5K pace. So why would running a couple of miles at MP be notable? Actually, I now run quicker than my last marathon pace almost every time I go out. But as I said, I was far, far from being a competitive marathoner! Can someone explain?

<Donning my Flame Retardant Suit>

This is where many Coaches would say: "Most People Train Too Hard, Too Often".

Here's how I think of my personal paces:

Recovery  10:00 mins/mile or slower

Easy  9:20 to 9:40

GA  9:00 to 9:15

MP  8:20 to 8:50

HM  (slow tempo) 7:55 to 8:10

10K  (fast tempo)  7:35 to 7:50

5K  (7:15 to 7:30)

Many training programs would have you training a bunch of miles Easy, with a couple of times a week at Tempo paces (repeats, intervals, and the like) with little to none in between there.  As you approach Marathon race date, the training plans will start a sharpening phase where you add in runs at MP to get the body used to the rhythm of running at MP.

Too each is own though.  No one size fits all.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

rhoon phast oh yea, I can see how that is a "nice day" to be out for an anything.  Roll eyes  Minus 8 is "a bit chilly" are you bleeping kidding me!  Dead

Holly S. convert.  That way Christmas is no bid deal if you have to work through it.  For tribe members it is just a time when all the goyim for some reason celebrate the birth of a Jewish scholar.  Not sure why but they do.  Wink

shadow runner you are Harrison Ford!  Shocked  Who wadda thought!!  Can I move into your Jackson Hole ranch?

fatozzig close.  Not sure.  But after the first few stabs the later ones likely will not hurt while the bookkeeping will keep on going.  I vote bookkeeping for worst.

Drake what a find!  How long has it taken you to try out the park?

enkephalin glad you are okay.  Sorry the hear the biker got off with his equipment unscathed.  Would have been fitting if something on it was dented.

TammyinGP sorry but the word "nice" and "splashy trail run" really should never appear in the same sentence.  What is with the people here?  Minus 8 is a nice day, soaking wet sneakers while running is nice?  Next up, odes to running in a hail storm?  Just wait, evanflein will post just that!

Tramps I view any run with temp miles as tough!  Congratulations.

CNYrunner hotel TM runs!  Umm, my favorite!  Not!  Good for you doing it though.

stumpy77 see that is the right attitude.  If it pours that does not make the run better!

C-R not sure.  I would go to fatozzig for help though.

Spareribs there is no way I would ever bet my barbecue against anything served up in TX, even at a stadium!  Especially not in a stadium's corporate box!  Sounds like it was a great menu.

rochrunner I want to see the Hobbit.  But the reviews have really cooled me to going "right now."  I hope it is better than some say and that you like it.

tomwhite an entire box of fudge!  That is not your stomach jiggling that is your pancreas trying to get out!

Today I am back to watching my still not working properly code produce numbers on my screen.  Yawn.  This is just driving me crazy.  My ankle feels like it is getting close to ready to try another run.  I had planned to wait until a week from this Thursday.  But now I am thinking maybe even this weekend.  We will see how it holds up as the days go by.  On the better news front I get to break the monotony by heading into NYC to see a play with my DW and some friends.  Although, I have to admit, I have no recollection about what play we are going to see!  At least it will be a surprise!  That is one advantage of being totally absent minded - everyday contains a new surprise! Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

FWIW, if you're doing faster than MP-pace for nearly all your runs, I'd think either

(a) you are training way too fast or

(b) that was a slow marathon and not indicative of your abilities.  (I can't tell without a log.)

A couple of MP miles? Not a big deal.  10 MP miles?  That's gets to be a serious run in my book.  Slo and I have very similar paces/PRs, so when I see him log an "easy" 10-mile run @ 8:12 pace, I'm impressed.  I'd probably log that as an "MP-ish" run.  For me, easy is, roughly, 8:30-9:00.

But it's not all about paces, either.  Hilly vs. flat.  Chilly vs. hot.  Early in a training cycle vs. late.  For example, I did a long run this weekend in a park with 7-mile loops.  I didn't carry water but, instead, stopped at my truck and drank some water--maybe a 90-120 second break each time, off the clock.  That kind of "cheating" is a lot easier than a continuous run. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

I'd probably log that as an "MP-ish" run. 

Yep...I just went back and changed that.