Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 12/16 (Read 297 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Running is stupid. -Some guy on the 'net

Leslie - abcess, yup. Absolutely you can deal with that at home, good thing you have a strong stomach.

Just finished week 3 of running insanity, yesterday's 16 was tough after 9 on Friday and 2 + 9 + ST on Saturday, will try not to do that again. Only 3 more weeks + 1 day. Definitely seeing some payoffs in pace, with perceived easy pace creeping into faster territory. Cool.

Finals week. Why do almost all 200 of my students feel like it's OK to email me late on Sunday night to ask about their grades so far? Roll eyes

Ex runner

jfa

Good luck with the finals Arla. And nice going on the mileage.

Still at it too and feeling fine.

In the trying to stay entertained on the treadmill department, I have found that I can play chess with the ipad while running. Also, trying to get some Spanish lessons on the ipod. Might be some weird looks from treadmill neighbors as I speak to myself in Spanish while running.

Oh well.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Finals week. Why do almost all 200 of my students feel like it's OK to email me late on Sunday night to ask about their grades so far? Roll eyes

maybe you could do a mass emailing of the class lists with grades included.  that will save everyone a lot of time and they won't have to check with each other to see what THEY got from Old Lady Hile. Joking  Nice miles.  Hope you make the 3 weeks and stomp the bunny.  You, too, Joe.

I THINK I'm home for the rest of the year, so while I'll be behind my bunny's tail, I'm hoping for a good finish to the year that willcarry over into next.

Happy new week to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

maybe you could do a mass emailing of the class lists with grades included.  that will save everyone a lot of time and they won't have to check with each other to see what THEY got from Old Lady Hile. Joking 

Big grin

Good job to you and Joe for your continued dedication to get to 2000.  You two are my heroes!!

Joe - How about chess in Spanish??

Hope you get to stay home the rest of the year, Stumpy.

This morning was a perfectly beautiful example of why, even though it takes a monstrous effort to get out of bed at 4:00 a.m., I love running in the predawn hours: crisp and cold with a black cloudless sky chock full of stars, a bright sliver of a moon over which you could see the shadow of the whole moon, quiet streets with hardly a sound except for that of my own foot steps and breathing.  This resulted in 4 sproinky miles with 6x100m strides at the end, followed by an hour of core and upper body strength training.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well, this morning was one of those where climbing out of bed seemed an insurmountable challenge, but finally at 5:30 (an hour and a half after I turned off my alarm), I dragged my sorry butt out from under the covers and got in my scheduled 5.  Tonight I'll do a little bit of the core/strength training I was suppose to do this morning.

After I got done working on transcription last night, I walked into the bedroom and found this:

I was cracking up and took 3 photos, with flash, without either one of them budging.  Guess they were tired!  (That's Mister Mister, the one who recently had a bad abscess.)

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Leslie, that starry run is what it's all about!  Love the picture...that is some serious sleeping there.

Arla and Joe, if there was a betting pool, I'd be betting on you two to take that bunny down hard.

Stumpy, glad you are going to get some home time, and maybe a little more run time too.

Hey to Cindy, Jim, and Ev!  Hope life and running are treating you well.

Not sure where I left off, but hubby was hit head-on by a drunk driver a few weeks ago.  Kerry emerged (miraculously) without a scratch...just a little bruising and soreness, so lots to be thanful for.  Car was totalled, and we are picking up a nice new Honda CRV tonight after much haggling.  I'm still running and will probably end the year with around 1,450 miles.  Pfitz plan was grinding me down too much, so I took a reset week and am back at it with a plan that agrees with my middle aged body more.  Goal #1 = get to the starting line healthy!

Know I'm missing out on a lot, but just wanted to say hello before I was awol for way too long again! 

Progress Trumps Pefection

Holy cow, Carol!  No, you hadn't told us about the drunk driving accident.  What a blessing Kerry wasn't hurt.

And so good to see you're still keeping at it!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - wow, so glad he's ok!! Shocked Head on! Airbags are a good thing. Way to go on the mileage for the year, that's nice consistency.

Leslie - such a cute pic of both misters.

Joe - Treadmill chess...hey, whatever works. There's no way I could catch the bunny on a treadmill.

Stumpy - hey it's about time you had a break from the traveling. Thing about the students is that I did post grades online, but then they'll ask things like "if I get an A on the final will I pass", when they could do the math themselves. Angry

Another day, another 2 + 9.

Ex runner

Keep it up, Arla and Joe!!

The photo - Shorty woke up soon after that pic was taking and I told him not to move until I could get the light turned up so he could see Mr Mr.  Shorty: "Looks like some kind of weird sex thing going on."  Big grin

As I was getting dressed this a.m. around 4:30, it just started dumping.  I sat for about 10 minutes and it started to taper off but not stop, so I finally told myself to stop being a wimp and get out there.  As I walked out the door, the rain stopped entirely.  Sweet!  It was a cold run and I kept my light jacket on the whole time (which I very rarely do, even when it's raining).  Did 9 miles with some good hill work in the middle that kicked my butt.  Now I can feel myself coming down with a cold, so maybe it was the onset of the cold that kicked my butt. . . . . . Sounds good if you say it fast.  It was the hills.  They are the enemy and they are very, very good at their job.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

24 for last week including something that might pass for some weak azz hill repeats so happy about the week. Sunday very cold with 35 mph winds so woosed out and bagged my long run, so with 3 good build weeks maybe this is a cutback week eh Stumpy? Monday was up at 3am  to drive a friend down to get his semi tractor and got home late but in the meantime the weather moderated and have got a couple 4 milers since. Experimenting with some new shoes as Pearl Izumi is dropping my go to shoe in favor of a more minimalistic line that I would love to rant about but will spare yall. I am trying some LaSportiva crosslite 2's and really like them, especially in soft sand and questionable footing, also got another pair of the last of the PI Syncro Fuels and a pair of Asics DS trainers.

Lynda and I trenched in 30 foot of airline 2 foot deep in our storage building with a tile spade then spread  a dumptruck load of crushed rock down 1 side and the back for crosstraining.

Hey Ev miles on the increase I see, kewl! The Stomp is the last weekend in February if it ever decides to snow. They had 6 inches or so this weekend which helped with the firefighting effort but the fire will continue to smolder until more sufficient dumps hit.

Leslie funny picture with the sleepy heads. Glad the downpour let up for you, hope you are not coming down with a cold.

Stumpy glad you are home, have a great finish to the running year.

Carol holy cow, thank goodness for airbags, glad your Husband is ok. Nice year mileage wise.

Arla, ya  the bunny is going down with those continued doubles. When I was in college I knew exactly what final grade I needed, and If there was no way to improve my final grade I put my emphasis on ones I could. I missed alot of class college rodeoing so I had to study "smart". We had to have at least a 2.0 to stay eligible while the NCAA sports only needed a 1.6 at the time not that it was ever a problem.

Joe treadmill spanish, that'll give em something to talk about. Payback for the amplified grunters in the weight room and loud tv runners and those that think 30 seconds of 400 m pace is a treadmill workout. :-) Good job on the miles. Hate to ask since you have never said but did the boat survive? No problem if you don't want talk about it.....

Hiyas to Cindy and any lurkers out there.

Working on year end stuff in the office and trying to get our storage building read to go, also some equipment maintenance. The drought continues with no relief in sight. Some wheat has yet to emerge, in the Hard Red Wheat area condition ratings are some of the worst ever.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Carol- wow! So happy for your hubby and you. I know that you count your blessings already but that is very scary. Good job with your running.

Leslie- nice pic of the snoozers. I admire your fortitude and sticktoitivness on the early morning runs.

Good running for you Jim. The boat made out without a scratch, thanks for asking. Down at the marina, the water came up way high but quickly retreated. I had it pulled to dry land the day before the storm. In many instances, being on land was not dry for long. But Forked River, where the marina is, missed out on the wave action.

Arla- WTG on getting it done. That bunny is going to be history soon.

Stumpy- enjoy the home time.

Ev- sad about the Cowboys LB. I can't understand how these players drive drunk when they have a free car service available to them at all times.

I have been using the treadmill as much as I can tolerate, then getting outside. Last Sunday's LR for instance, was 7 miles inside, then another 7 outside in drizzly and 38*. The chess thing, unfortunately, did not work well. It's hard enough to move the pieces on the ipad display as it is without making an error. Add the bouncing motion of running, and a bunch of sweat, and the result is a bunch of losses, which I hate. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Two nice outdoor runs last 2 days. 15 and 8. Less than 150 miles to go!

Good Friday all!

The chess thing, unfortunately, did not work well. It's hard enough to move the pieces on the ipad display as it is without making an error. Add the bouncing motion of running, and a bunch of sweat, and the result is a bunch of losses,

Big grin  Sorry it didn't work out.

16 cold and very muddy miles today with Karen.  Stepped in one mud hole and the sucking mud pulled my shoe right off.  I was bundled up more than I've been in a long time, and a hot shower definitely felt good when I got home.

Like the rest of the country, I am at a loss as to how to process what happened yesterday in Newtown, CT.  Our receptionist and her husband brought their 3-day old baby girl to our office Christmas lunch yesterday, and I couldn't help but wonder what kind of world she's been brought into.  My heart aches for the community of Newtown, the families whose lives have been irreparably damaged, including the shooter's family - aches for all of us.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Joe, that's awesome that you're playing chess and learning Spanish while on the treadmill!  Nice efficient and productive use of time.  You da man!   About the Cowboys LB...it is a tragedy, as are all preventable/accidental/senseless deaths.  Evryone....and I mean evryone....could use a personal mentor that provides sage advice.  The wise decisions are already known to us, but sometimes we fail to aknowledge them and need reminded.  And about the wise personal mentor....we all got one.  BTW...your running is awesome!   

Leslie....telling Joe to play chess in Spanish Big grinBig grin  Now that's funny!  Nice pic of the mister and mister mister!   Your work ethic inspires me.

Stumpy.....did you just say, "Old Lady Hile?"   Glad your back home!

Arla....I just went back and read some of your posts....."cute pic of both misters."  I said nearly the same thing above.....we think alike....I'd be worried if I were you.  Me, on the othr hand.... I'm feelin' pretty good about it!

Jim........I guess you're going to the stomp?  Enjoy!  I have not..will not give up.  Now if I'd just give in......

Carol....Hey!   Very thankful your Husband wasn't injured.  1450 miles, super nice!!  I had the Cowtown 1/2 M on my schedule for awhile, till inactivity came to call (and yes, I answered the door).  I'm sticking it back on the calendar for 2014.....it's in Feb or March, correct?

2.25 for me yestrday (all my troubles seemed so far away).  Christmas celebration with LMDs family yestrday (now I need a place to hide away)!   Not all her bros/sister could make it, but a great time had by those that were able to make it.  The sistr will join us for a week just following Christmas....and that's always a good time. 

Latr my running compadres (Joe's not the only one learning Spanish).  Enjoy!

MTA....Leslie, ditto your latest post.

MTAA....just back from 3 easy.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM