Masters Running

Newbies - starting on St. Patty's Day (Read 401 times)

L's, what a great running club. I wish mine were like that. We do 3 mile runs or run/walk around the lake every Sat and then a fun run breakfast at a different house the first Sunday of the month. Those are a blast. I did hear good things about those shots. I should have posted it when you guys first mentioned it. Glad yours went well and glad to hear you are running again. My dad is home from the hospital. They dont know why he is incoherent but I think its because of the drugs he's on. He is 70 years old and in bad conditon from overeating, drinking and smoking and little to no exercise his whole life. Plus I think retirement is killing him. My mom on the other hand is healthy and enjoying retirement and playing tennis, traveling and busy busy busy. Kevin, did he recommend physical therapy? I think it might be a good idea. Bob, hows the healing going? Kim could hardly walk when she pulled hers. The trainer wanted to tape her. She said 'theres no way you are going near me there!' But it healed soon. Theresa, I guess 28 is warm to you guys. I dont even think I would run in those temps. I am a warm weather wimp from way back. Deb, maybe wrist braces while you work out. 2 boring miles on the treadmill last night. God that thing bores me to tears. And for some reason its easier to run outside than on it. 20 mins on this cycling machine with a video attached. I raced through redwood park agianst other rides. That was fun but made me long for the real thing. Then a half hour on various machines with the girls. Ali, 12 year old with the weight problem, does wonderfully at the gym. She will do as many machines as I do. She is a good runner but the only organized sport she will do is soccer. She likes tennis and racquetball and mountain biking but wont do any of those organized. I am trying to figure out why not. It could be lack of self confidence. I am not sure if I should push her to do that or just let her find her own thing. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Whew! I survived the first week of concert, festival, and performance season mania. It's going to be one wild ride until Memorial Day. The boys chorus day was male bonding at its best. The high school kids basically ran all of the rehearsals and did a super job at it. It's so nice to actually get to see and hear that they do turn into rather nice young men after the insanity of middle school! Today I pitch-hit as chaperone at a strings festival for a colleague. I really didn't have to do a whole lot, but both were long days and I'm even more beat than usual on a Friday night. Kevin - the whole "girls like guys who sing" thing doesn't really work on 5th & 6th graders who still think girls are creepy, but I appreciate the thought. Smile So sorry to hear you're on the running DL. We started running within weeks of one another and were darn close to that pace bunny for so long. Hope you heal quickly. Laurie - so sorry to hear about your Dad. Sounds a bit similar to my parents. Dad more or less gave up at 70; mom's still going strong at 80. Your family is in my thoughts. Linda - hope you won't need cortisone, but it DOES help. Just don't get a crush on your doctor before you even meet him and refrain from chewing gum and you'll be just fine. Wink Over did a little last night. Ran 2 and walked 1 before going to the first meeting of the beginning running class. I did it last spring and I'm repeating to support a friend and because I'm sort of learning all over again with the new orthotics and the low HR thing. Wow, she worked us harder than I remember for the first night last year! Ended up running/walking another 3 miles. And probably walked close to 2 kid-wrangling at the festival today. Also ate too many refined carbs, though, so it's back out there, hopefully for 5 miles, tomorrow. Happy weekend, all, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

good afternoon :-) was morning when I started this. Roll eyes Roberta, I've been wondering how you were. so glad the shot helped & that you joined (& like!) a running club. that sounds perfect for you. good for you. I've still only run alone... which I prefer, but it's probably also a side effect of being chicken. Linda, RSI is repetitive strain injury. for example, I had bilateral, medial & lateral epicondylitis -- which just means tendonitis, both sides of both elbows. I kept using whichever hurt less, so nothing ever really healed... so I was thinking that could fit with your shoulders too. I started with right arm injuries, & gradually did in the left one too. I almost sent you a book the other day. I think I still might... only hesitation is that you probably wouldn't have time to do the program in it. I wonder if some kind of sling might help support your shoulder while you run... at least protect it a little from the bounces. would be strange running like that, though. and it might just transfer pressure to your neck. I hope you're in less pain. re beating myself up & stooopid... (thanks linda & btb)... I know. but this one particular incident really does qualify. no question. set me back a lot, & was totally avoidable. after all this time. still, I know it's only productive kicking myself if I learn my lesson. instead of it going in one ear & out the other. '-) Kevin, I'm so sorry! I don't know much about shins. did your doctor give it a name? did he say anything about stretching? I've been reading a lot lately about fascia.. & adhesions & knots & the problems they can cause when you're stretching... I can't find anything specifically for shins, but usually the idea is to stretch really really gently, so that if anything is stuck it can release bit by bit & not cause more problems. don't know if there's anything else in here: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-treatment.htm just realized maybe that's what btb sent. I'll leave it just in case. you've done enough as a bad example. let someone else carry the load for a while. Wink Laurie, thanks for the suggestion. I have one (brace) for each wrist, but I'm not sure they'd help in this case. the positions I'm having to avoid need a highly extended wrist... the braces won't let them bend, but wouldn't let me do the positions either. unless there's another kind I don't know about. Tough call with Ali, my gut feeling is to let it be, especially since she sounds like she's doing lots of activities. She might have a lack of self-confidence, but (I might be totally wrong!!) thinking that she wasn't doing enough to please you probably wouldn't help. hopefully she can gain that confidence in other ways, (if it is lacking, but it doesn't sound like it, from a distance anyway) including doing the sport type stuff she likes. And feeling that she is 'ok' as she is. I may be slanted here because I hate organized sports, always have. I remember as a kid always being pushed, & it made me avoid sports of any kind, until I got older & started exercising just for my own sake. fwiw. hugs to you, that's tough about your dad. hard to see him unhappy, frustrating if it's self-inflicted. I hope the meds get adjusted a little or something. eliz, cool about your running group. wow, you ran before you even went. hope you didn't really overdo & have to pay for it. Bob,,,,, so happy to hear you're doing better!!! I have to catch up on the daily again for more details. I'm so impressed with your discipline .. I get really overwhelmed just thinking about all the things I should be doing. thanks for the motivation! cool about the stims. I seem to remember that that really helps healing, compared to tens which just eases the pain for a bit. I've been outside intermittently since about 7:30, cutting back shrubbery. my name is Roger. now I'm re-doing a fence along one side, as the neighbors are out of town & that makes it a good time, even though it's a bit blustery. one of my favorite kind of days... it's been a long time since I've had a full day of yard work!! the plan is for pilates & yoga, the mat is still down in the living room. not sure if I'll have time. Hi Mike. Hi Jem, what happened to our new person that lives near Columbus? I have a couple older threads I haven't gotten through yet.
        lswife

dg - I will probably run/walk alone in the running club's "races" since I'm the slowest in the group. Even though I came in next-to-last, the others (not a large group there) were still cheering me on. If they were all speedsters and didn't seem so welcoming, I wouldn't go back. (The last person in the run was an acquaintance of ours who had a life-threatening stroke a few years ago, remains partially disabled and unable to speak, and walks/limps fast as part of his therapy; his wife usually joins him but wasn't there last week. He's cheered and encouraged too by the group)
          Rindaroo

Hi all - my keyboard broke yesterday.... went out & bought a new one today. So, a little late on posting my run from yesterday. I did 4/4 run/walk on my home treadmill & no problems with dust at all. yay! tomorrow, i am scheduled to start week 4 - its 6/4 run/walk. Roberta - sounds great with the running club. The club here is similar.. i have considered joining, but with all my issues it doesn't seem to make sense. i do like to run alone too... but the 5k I did & ran with a friend, who's a much better runner, was lots of fun. Laurie - i agree with Debbie. I think the important thing is the exercise.. i used to put my ds in a bunch of organized sports, and it was an issue (he didn't really want to be there) this year in 7th grade he played basketball on one of the jv teams with absolutely no experience at all... it was his idea completely & i was actually worried about it. i tell ya i have never seen this kid work so hard & try so hard, which is saying something,,, he's adhd & focus & concentration are not his strong points, usually he gets soooo frustrated. but, its amazing what happens when its his idea & important to him. now if i could just bottle that attitude for his schoolwork.. lol Deb - i bought a sling yesterday, i have been wearing it today & i think its making a difference. i woke up 3 times last night in pain... maybe i should wear the sling to bed... & funny you say that about running.. i'm seriously considering it. yesterday's run wasn't nearly as painful, so it must be getting better. but than i went to the grocery store & even with dd's help was in serious pain by the time i got home Sad all that was with no sling. so, hopefully i fare better tonight. okay rsi - that makes sense. well the "bad" shoulder was diagnosed as tendonitis, has never been the same & contributed to very weak upper back muscles. i'm guessing the weak back muscles contributed to this shoulder's problem.. so yeah it sounds familiar. yep time is always the problem Sad
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, I wish we could cut back shrubbery now! Ours is still buried under lots of snow. It was warmer today, though, so I had a good run - 5.1 miles in 55:17. My legs felt kind of heavy, but I never walked. I feel like taking a nap now! Have a good week of running! Teresa
                Woulda, shoulda, coulda . . . . . . . . . . . . . there was a 5K in my neighborhood this morning. Registration was about 1 mile from my house, literally across the street from the house where I grew up and where mom still lives. I chose not to do it because I want to stick with the low HR thing for 12 full weeks and, hopefully, kick some butt at the mid-June race I've done at the shore the past two years. I just looked at the results, and based on my recent training runs, I would have been among the last 5 or so finishers, but I would have placed in my age group!!! Awards were two-deep by AG, and the woman who was 2nd in my AG was next-to-DFL in the race overall! Gotta do this one next year! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, I thought the end of the year was the busy time for music department...spring concerts and memorial day parades. Kims school always get real busy then. Deb, dont be chicken. Join the club. If you find one that does social things too then they are a blast. I love my womens one. Thanks for the input with ALi. She has about 30 pounds to lose. I hate seeing her uncomfortable in tight clothes and having to buy size xl. Last night I was so worried about her that I woke up at 2am and couldnt get back to sleep. So I got up and looked up kids weight loss programs on the internet. Found some great programs but so far none locally. lswife, you got in with a great bunch of people. Linda, I didnt know you had a kiddo same age as mine. I have a feeling I should just back off on Ali and let her find her own thing. Theresa, youre doing great. Hows the speedster doing? It takes a hardy person to survive winter in Maine. Eliz, dont worry about the times just go run it! Did 4.26 yesterday slow. My longest since ending PT. Did 2 more today slow again but had slow running partner with me so we went at his pace. No pain buy my toes go numb regardless of shoes I wear. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Laurie, good job on the runs! I have found that it's not hard to survive winter in Maine, but it IS tough to survive the lack of spring! March through May is tough up here.