Masters Running

Monday Daily, Rocktober 1, 2012 (Read 418 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all, and welcome to a new month!

Congrats to Sarge and Marj (and her DD) on some good racing yesterday.

Congrats to the bride & groom, Steve. They sure look happy (with and without the goofy teeth)!

Great photos, Mariposai - you did good work in a beautiful spot.  BTW, I didn't sleep in on Sunday - I was still up at 4, but just did other things till it was time to head out at 6:45.

I was up again at 4 this morning, but stayed in, rather than going for a workout. I banged up my toes in my weekend workouts, and wanted to give them a day to calm down before I abuse them again. Laying on the couch, under a blanket with my feet up and with a good book was rather nice. I could get used to that, but I'd better not. My workouts, in addition to keeping me healthier and more fit, keep me sane (or, at least somewhat sane).

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

57F

Nice morning

Until I tripped on the sidewalk at mile 4.89. I knew I had a serious injury. Walked a little bit, ran the last 0.11 and then went into the rec. center to wait to see my friend, Steve. He was swimming. He is an athletic director/trainer at W&M.  He swam a long time so I waited a while in the lobby.

Steve believes that my shoulder is separated.

Fortunately I had an appt already scheduled with my PCP for 0820 tomorrow morning.

And then I decided to see if I could see him today. So I will see the PCP at 1000. 

The good news is, my LDL cholesterol has dropped 20 points. (My appt tomorrow was for lab work follow-up.)

Take it easy out there, friends!

Don't let any sidewalks jump up and trip you.

Congratulations to the newlyweds, SteveP!!!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Mornin' all, and welcome to a new month!

Congrats to Sarge and Marj (and her DD) on some good racing yesterday.

Congrats to the bride & groom, Steve. They sure look happy (with and without the goofy teeth)!

Great photos, Mariposai - you did good work in a beautiful spot.

+1 (couldn't have summed it up better, so why try?)

Gah, Rosie! Sorry to hear about the trip... and believe me I know how that is... had three falls yesterday on my 20-miler (long winded write-up is here if anyone is interested) but thankfully I've only got a sprained wrist and nothing is broken. Take care of that shoulder and feel better!

Will go out for an easy 3 miles later this morning. Stomach is still in borderline upheaval mode, but surprisingly my legs feel OK to run. Have a great day, all!

Wow -- sorry to hear about your injury, Barb! Sidewalks are the worst place to fall since they're so hard and a good place to pick up some serious road-rash. Did you also get scraped up at all? 

You too, Esther -- take it easy out there!

And Tom, so glad to hear that your medication revision is getting you back to your normal pace.

Well, another HM in the books, but I met my goal time the hard way. I managed to be monitoring the wrong readout on my watch (long story), and as a result ran much too fast in the first few miles. This is a real mistake on this course, which is mostly downhill for the first 7 miles, followed by miles of long, rolling, increasing hills. I had to walk parts of most of the hills and ended up with about the same time as if I'd run a steady pace, but I was much more wiped out and in pain at the end. Live and learn.

I did manage my goal 2:05 for 8th of 21 in my AG. Like I said, not a bad result, but my legs were hurting most of the rest of the day. I do feel OK today, though, and will go out for an easy bike ride this afternoon.

So how were your weekends, everyone?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

{{{{goddesses with ouchies and scrapes}}}}}}}}

So, Rosie, do tell us what type of serious injury you got out of that fall.

SteveP, great wedding pictures!!

I had way too much fun cooking last night that when the alarm went off I decided to sleep a bit, just a bit longer. 3 miles as the sun and the moon greeted each other.

Did you guys see the full moon last night? Wow...impressive!!

Happy Monday to you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I banged up my toes in my weekend workouts, and wanted to give them a day to calm down before I abuse them again.

Jay - did you bang up your toes race walking? At least when running barefoot, we we have to watch where we’re stepping all the time so it's almost impossible to stub toes, twist ankles, etc.
              Rosie -  wow, that sounds like an enki-level fall to get your shoulder too.  Glad OM seems okay though. However, what kind of scenery were you looking at to fall three times?  You too Rosie.  The Kirkland Tri included an out-and-back on an almost one-half mile boardwalk. My first time running on one. Fortunately, no goblin boards waiting to sabotage us.  What fun it was.  Almost like running on springs.  No wonder I love running so much.

mariposai - standing in Lake Washington waiting for our waves to start yesterday, your DS and I had the same sunrise greeting saying sayonara to the moon slipping down over the Olympic Mountains in the far distance on the other side of the lake. BTW, full moon madness swims are the best, like swimming through silver sparklers. Please everyone try it tonight if you have a warm lake nearby. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

5 miles with my RP at the park today.  Gorgeous weather here.

Mariposai, I was waiting to see if you read the Roach comment!

Today I'm writing about a fascinating subject in the running column for the Dallas News and I'll post the link here later.  I hope you read it because it lights me up.  This guy figured out a way to do pari-mutuel wagering on road races.  Say you're a middle of the pack runner.  You enter a race this company has designated for wagering, and you are given a "challenge" time, based on your history, which he has in a big db.  You bet $25, and if you beat the time, you get back your $25 plus a premium, say another $15 or $20.  If you don't beat it, you lose your $25.

He takes a cut of the total betting pool, of course, just as a race track does.  He did a beta test of it last month at a local tenK and 20K.  A buddy of mine wagered on himself for the tenK and was given a challenge time of 55 minutes.  The guy is faster than I am, and I ran the 20K in 55 for the first tenK and 53 for the second 10K, so I knew he could do this easily.  He had been injured all this year however, so I imagine his recent times reflected that.  Well, he ran 51:20 and walked away with $38.  What a concept.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

{{{Rosie's shoulder}}}   {{{OM's wrist}}}  {{{Jay's toes}}}

Be careful out there, friends!

Congrats on surviving the half, Roach, even if it was tough.  You're tougher!

Tet, a full moon swim in a warm lake sounds fun!  Unfortunately, no warm lakes around here.  Maybe I could just wade?

10 mile trail run yesterday in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.  The colors were awesome - I posted a pic over in the September monthly miles thread.  So go post your miles!

My DH's birthday was yesterday, so I took him to see STOMP down in Denver.  Very cool show. 

Happy October!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wildchild - unfortunately, unless you can get out deep enough where you might as well swim, wading/walking doesn't work as you need to get the silver spashes next to you and be able peer down to see how the moonlight streams in a silver sheen to work its magic on otherwise dull rocks and sand underneath too.

mariposai - did you see that roachie ran a prefect half mary?  Starr too. WTG.

did you get any reports from opie or did he get mixed up with that area 51 one divechiel and dove once did.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Rosie's shoulder}}}   {{{OM's wrist}}}  {{{Jay's toes}}}

Be careful out there, friends!

Indeed!

No run for me today, just some light weights and core. 

For some reason, I barely had any mojo this morning.  I so wanted to just curl up with a book on the sofa and not go to work, just hang out at home...I barely even talked myself into the short workout that I managed.  Monday blues, I guess.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Sorry Rose.  Good job Starr.

And here is the link:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/10/wanna-race-fast-and-win-cash-i-got-a-horse-right-here.html/

Spareribs

[[[[[[[rosie]]]]]

..........great pics yesterday steveP//..........and Congratulations

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Leslie - that story is just awful. as if it wasn't tragic enough, but then to learn of the woman they found just adds to it.

Steve - great pics! Your daughter was a beautiful bride and I love the colors. You looked quite dapper in your suit and red shirt!

I ran that Enchanted Forest Wine Run HM on Saturday. well, I guess I really can't say I ran it because there was a lot of walking involved also. Took me 3:14 to finish. It was a noon start on a 90 degree day and except for a few stretches in the forest where it felt cooler, the entire race was like running through an oven. There were never any flat parts - it was either up or down, switchbacks for miles, dust, dirt, rocks. I heard many many well trained and experienced trail runners say that was the most brutal race they've ever done. There were alot of fun elements to it though - hidden treasures in the forest to find (of course, only the front runners found those items though), costume contest (mythical forest creatures themed), live music, great food, wine, etc. afterwards. The aid stations were equipped with food like you were running an ultra and they really took care of each runner coming through.  I did stick around afterwards for about 1.5 hrs to socialize and finally eat something but wasn't feeling too great.

I was anticipating barely being able to walk on Sunday and just had some minor tightness in my calves. It's actually my shoulders that are tight. Went for about a 2.5 mile walk/hike with the dogs yesterday which probably helped things not be so sore. It was a good race and I'd probably do it again, although I'd certainly train differently for it.

Tammy

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning! ~ I really, really need to get my butt back in here & catch up reading!!

Planning a little recovery wiggle later today....I think I did reasonably well for my 2nd 50K yesterday - considering what my Summer time training was NOT! Lotsa walking, lotsa chatting, some aid station loitering = an 8:11:23 @ my dying Garmin said (if you can believe it) 6,247 of elevation gain?! btwn my 3 loops. Hmm, maybe...

Had an awesome time meeting up w/some more "imaginary" RA frens w/Wildchild on Sat...wish I could've run some more with them but, had to save it for Sunday Smile

Have a Greta Day everyone!~!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Oh no, Barb!  I hope it's not a separated shoulder.  Get better soon!

Thinking about my parents who are celebrating their 63rd Anniversary today.  On days like this I wish we lived closer ....

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong