Masters Running

Sunday, 6.7.15 (Read 36 times)

King of PhotoShop

Robin thinks that because she is an attractive woman, she can wear anything she likes. I don't like to criticize her for these little things however. Her husband can outcook me. I hate the man.  But I try to leave this all alone so as not to cause problems within the group.

And you be quiet EK!  I was referring to me, being old and slow.  But thanks for the prompt. I am so proud of how well Louise is running. She had plenty in the tank as I hobbled in this morning. And while I am scolding you, I appreciated your and TC's insights about thoroughbred racing on another forum yesterday.  Thanks.  Spareribs

Thanks for all you do to help the race walkers, Jay. You are devoted. As to the question, the reason I keep running is for the races. If it weren't for the race registration, sometimes only in my mind or on the calendar, I would soon lose interest in the workouts.  I can only hope to luck out at small races to get into the top 3 of an age group, but it gives me something to strive for.

After a busy day at church leading worship. After that we helped at a  pork chop BBQ to raise funds for a Celebrate Recovery event. I had a long run of 8 miles planned for the afternoon. I have been letting MrStarr use my ipod when he goes to the Y. Well, it was completely dead so scrounged around for an old MP3 player and used that. It is a little less annoying than my phone although I ran for 45 minutes before I realized that it was playing the same song over and over! I also decided to use my old Garmin since I know it works. My new one does not save the workouts anymore, nor does the stop feature work. I have to get psyched up to call tech support one of these days. I am oh so slow but managed the 8 miles at around 13:00's. MrStarr dropped off a bottle of water for me, how sweet was that?

I am absolutely beat and cannot stay awake much longer.  Good day!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Why I compete for the prize money of course! If you win the New York Marathon do you know how much you get! For just a few hours of work to boot. Almost as good as the lottery. Alas, I am more likely to win the lottery and I never buy lottery tickets.

A lot more seriously, I compete to beat me. Nobody else. It is just a challenge. Can I do better than last time? That and the social aspects of racing. But, that truly is it.

As to running today I had planned on 13. Then decided 7 was a better idea.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

To impress the chicks...it's all about impressing the chicks.

I didn’t run for the women when I started running in 1977 because there weren’t many women

running in those days and those who did were all faster than me
          I still don’t run for the women because, though more than half the fields

nowadays are women, they’re still faster than me.   .
          Anyway, it’s not been the same since the World Ironman Corporation banned bikinis with their stupid “shirts (and shoes) are required on the bike and run courses” rule in 2003, . . . apparently to equalize the field with the pros who have to wear sponsor-logoed shirts and shoes.  yuk.
          Jay - now that I’m walking most of my marathons, there’s no more Rib-like competitive strategizing and finish line sprints as in the past for faster times with friends and other AG’ers.

However, since I don’t train, races substitute for the training I don’t do and have provided a measure of deteriorating fitness over the years since a first marathon in the summer of 1977 solely on winter skiing fitness. In addition, there’s a special camaraderie that your reporter friend can easily discover herein. Why else except annual camaraderie with the butterflies would go all the way to Spokane to run 7.5 miles in Bloomsday 12K?. 
          ps Amy - too bad you lost your yesterday’s post or I would have mentioned that one of the Mariners’ announcers suggested the team start using the new fangled bat grip that’s allowed Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia to bat .400 for the last ten games to say nothing of my never missing Will Shortz’s Sunday morning puzzles and his prior mention of his enigmology self-major too. If I ever get selected, I’m gunna ask him if he’s a runner.. I hope he gets Ribs to submit running questions.  .
          pps - I really don’t care what Robin wears running, . . .
          as long as she doesn’t wear it in-line skating.
          ppps erika - photos are a tradition for new doos. 
          Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I met with one of our group who also writes a somewhat-satirical column for the local paper. She wants to do a feature on why older folks compete: Why do it, and what do they get out of it? I told her about this RA forum and you fine folks, and offered to pose the question to you. So here it is. No names will be used in the column, so what would you like me to tell her about why you, as an "older" athlete, still train and compete?

I think the main reason is because WE CAN!!  Seriously, I feel so thankful for my health and the gift of being able to get out there and enjoy swimming, biking and running. I know so many people who would love to be able to just walk without pain and I want to do what I can for those who can't and to make the most of the gift I've been given!

4.5 miles on the treadmill for me before another EPIC day at work. Wished I ran outside, but still kind of a wimp about running at 4:30am by myself!

Thanks for all the concern about my bike spill - I am just a little sore in certain areas, but overall quite ok --- again very thankful!!

10 on the team -- woohooo!!  Who will be the lucky 2 to take the last couple of spots?!!

denise