Masters Running

Sunday 24th runs (Read 516 times)

evanflein

Liz, I'd love to hear the kitty stories too. Probably more than the paper stories... but there's gotta be something for everyone! Don't be a stranger, we're all here to support each other. Wildchild, I know exactly what you mean about the slush and soft snow. That's why I did a 10+ miler on the treadmill on Wednesday when it was 35F outside! Should've been a perfect running opp, but the trails/roads were a hazardous mess. Teresa, bigger feet from running? Well, I suppose it's possible. I know what you mean, though. I probably would've done the same thing. BTB, thanks. I frequently wrap up my runs by the time many of the regulars here have gone to bed. I know Holly always assures everyone that the late posts get read, and maybe they do and maybe they don't. I really post just so I can get my thoughts about my run all pulled together. But it is nice to know someone notices. So, as for my run... We woke up to a couple inches of snow! Just what we needed after a week of above normal temps so everything UNDER the snow is icy and slick. I did that tempo run yesterday on the side of the road with my Spikey's and still had to deal with some slick spots and "slippage." Today was nothing but hard. 14 miles on that new snow over the ice, uneven footing where the snowmachines had ripped through, footprints from others in varying degrees of "hardness." Oh boy. My legs were toast. Temps about +15F. Didn't help that half the run had a slight headwind with sleety snow blowing in my face. I was really glad this one was done. Last outdoor run till I run in shorts in the desert. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to that!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

33 miles with divechief around Bainbridge Island in the annual season opening Chilly Hilly bike ride, . . . while he said ultra-arf was planning her own 30 miles up in the northland, . . . but without a bike!. ps soundie, it wasn't easy but I think divechief (and me too) earned a hug. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Good evening Masters. Reporting in quite late - I ran a long run of 14 miles yesterday, with the first 13.1 being a HM, which I treated as a training run. My goal was to stick to the back of the pack and I successfully did that. I did not want to get caught up in racing and go fast in an effort to keep up. There were about 60 people in the race and a few there were treating this as a training run for Eugene. Although their idea of training was faster than mine. After mile 1, I was solo the rest of the course. I wanted to finish last, but alas there were 3 others behind me, so I was 4th to last! Cool It was a great course. 2.5 miles of it was on dirt and grass trails through the Valley of the Rogue park. I thought of you Tet as I was running this stretch. I even spoke out loud to you and said 'isn't this a great surface Jon?!". It was a fun training run. Afterwards, my husband and I took our son up to Portland to see the Harlem Globetrotters at the Rose Garden. I thought after riding in a car for 4 hrs, then sitting in the arena for another 3 hrs that my legs would be tight and sore, but they felt great this morning.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

You showed great discipline in being doing such a good training run in a halfmary race, . . . and your DGL-minus-three finish pretty much assures a shirt no matter how slow I am in my upcoming one. good job. Were you able to pick up the pace a little at the end with John to test yourself in that regard too? It's good too. ps - what color shirt FR?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nada for me today, though I wanted to. I decided today it's not the taper that is tough for me, it's the post race holding off ramping back up too quickly. Tammy, nice job on the training run and holding back. It's not easy to do. Did DS like the Globetrotters? I took my brigade to see them today. I forgot how kitchy they were, but it was a fun afternoon. I think my DD enjoyed it more than the boys, though. Maybe it's the age (she's 9.5; they're 12). Though it was the music and dancing she liked best. She, of course, rolled her eyes when I started getting into it too much for her liking. I'm such an embarassment. Tet and Dive. Good work on Bainbridge Island. How will the quads feel tomorrow I wonder? CNY. My kids are back in school tomorrow, too. (But spring break in 4 weeks!) No reports due, thank goodness. Was not Javier Bardem swoonalicious tonight?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

soundi - you're a cyclist too for sure. it's never got me like this before but not only both thiighs burning but both knees are very reluctant to do much bending after all those hills. Though neither dive or I'd been biking since last summer, I thought adding the stress fracture that's been keeping him on the elliptical for more than two months would give me a chance to keep up but, no, he had to be doin' like mariposai did for me in the Seattle Marathon pretending to be tying her shoes and hangin' around empty portas for me to catch up as dive'd power up the steep ascents up to 3/4 mile long and hang around the top to fiddle with his chain, pretend to take photos, etc. We had a great time though in the sunshiny, warm day (almost to 60 degrees by noon) and we escaped the 2,000 cyclists crowded on the poop deck on the way over and back (or wherever, I just wanted to use that place sometime) to the solarium on the next deck up I'd not known about before.. Congratulations on getting your time corrected on you marathon of joy the other day. ps - see if you can delay SS is she comes through Seattle for another Pink Door appearance!Big grin pps - I still have a HGT program from when your kids' ages. Smile