Masters Running

Thursday - 7/9 - What Is Going On!? (Read 40 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

What’s a guy supposed to do when it’s 64-degrees at 6:00 a.m. and no end in sight to the current heat wave into the eighties again? Why run down to the beach for a swim in the 76-degree lake waters, of course.

= = = = =

I take people who are not currently eligible and, by converting assets to exempt or non-countable resources, make them eligible.  I collect information on assets and debts from clients, create a spreadsheet, formulate the strategy, and facilitate movement of assets as fast as possible (yes, sometimes even in a week or two), and file for Medicaid.  I then gather years of statements and documentation, carefully organize and label everything, and meet with the caseworker at the County Department of Jobs and Family Services to go through the paperwork, including spreadsheets of where we began and where we ended up, with explanations and document proof of all valuations and transfers.  Then I continuously follow-up with the caseworkers at DJFS and Area Agency on Aging, gently nudging them along so the case gets resolved and we get a decision in a timely manner.  When we receive the Notice of Approval, we then prepare new estate planning documents for the community spouse and take steps to protect that spouse's remaining assets.  It's a big process, and I always have a lot of plates in the air, but I mostly love it, when I am not completely stressed out.....

Early meeting this morning, so no run, just 45 minutes or so of weights and core.

And here I thought all you did was cook bkfst/lunch/dinner, wash the dishes, go grocery and other shopping, clean and paint the house, take care of the garden, wash/dry/fold/hang clothes, doctors, dentists, drive kids all-over-the-place, work overtime, go to meetings, help your friends, and go running when nobody's noticing.

Seriously, I bet your spreadsheets are worth a million dollars, or more, by now, to your employer and clients. Maybe you can ask your boss who's probably making so much profit off you about possible bonus consideration for so much overtime and extraordinary production beyond whatever monthly average is expected..

ps - good job Steve. I’d like to work for you.
    Maybe you can open a branch in the PNW.

Defizzed coke has been a staple at IM aid stations for decades and for a long time too in ultra-marathons but still pretty rare in marathons. However, even Nuun's now producing Kona Cola tablets.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nice long runs for mari and Twocat.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 50s and there was a light breeze.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:09 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just popping in to say hi and report my run for the evening.  Hi.

Run report: 2 mile warm up in 15:01.  2 x 400: 1:12.21 -- 1:10.88.  4 x 200: 33.38 -- 33.52 -- 33.41 -- 33.29.  1 mile cool down in 15:32.  Last track workout before the big race on Monday.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, good luck at your race on Monday!

Dave, love the laps!  I need a Garmin like that!

Jay,  I guess since you live in such a nice area, lots of your family and friends come for vacations at your house!

Kevin, hope the weather is okay for your Maine vacation.

Henry and Marj - happy road tripping!

Amy - I agree, 5ks hurt!   I prefer running ultras, where you can hurt less for a much longer time. 

Andrew, that was an interesting discussion you had with your daughter about dating.   Good that she asks for your opinion.

Holly, you're so good at what you do - I agree with others that your boss should give you a raise.  You're pretty indispensable by now, I would guess!   Enjoy your vacation!  Tell your brother Mike hi from me!   Hey - is he going to come to W.Va. for the race in October?  I'm still thinking about it...

Erika - good luck at the mile race!  I imagine that hurts even more than a 5k!

I did a nice long slow trail run today - 17 miles in Staunton State Park, which is about an hour from home.  I've only run there once before, at a trail race 2 years ago.  Beautiful park, and since the weather is still unsettled, I decided that going high was a bad idea, and this park is mostly tree covered, and relatively safe in a storm.   I had to sit out one thunderstorm with hail at mile 8, but the storm passed quickly and the sun came back out for the rest of the run.

Tomorrow I'm heading out to Fairplay, CO to volunteer at a 50 mile trail race this weekend.  Camping with friends tomorrow night, and working an aid station on Saturday.  Good times.

Speaking of volunteering, I was wondering if Leslie has checked in about working the river crossing at Western States?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Mike, what's your race on Monday? Is this still Sr. Games? My MIL is doing really well in her swimming events. She got a bronze medal today in the 50 m breaststroke.

We had the mile race tonight, and yes, Carolyn, this one hurts more than a 5k for sure. Conditions were about perfect though, so that's good (especially in a fire-heavy year like this). I got a bit bogged down with too many runners around me, almost the whole first lap. Argh, that's maddening. After that though, I'd left the ones on my heels behind, and the ones in front of me widened the gap. That's ok, I was just seconds behind the gals in front of me (I know, seconds are huge in the mile). Goal was sub-7 and I got that, but not by much. Official results aren't posted yet. I'm just always so glad when this one is over!

2 mile warm up (then over an hour wait....) and 2.8 mile "cool down" for 5.8 for the day.

Marathon Maniac #957

For now, I don't think I fully answered her question and I'm sure she will want more understanding so I bought her the book "Daniel's Running Formula, 3rd Edition. He has all the answers.

Carolyn - yes, my brother Mike is planning on showing up for WV.  I need to look into lodging, and see if I can find a cottage like we had in VT.

Erika - I hate mile races.  Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

We're in Buffalo today on our way to Toronto via Niagara Falls- a long road trip. No running last few days but walking as much as we can. We have a 5K scheduled for Sunday along Toronto's waterfront. Meanwhile we'll see a lot of family and classmates.

Sounds close to perfect.

Very good connection run with your daughter, Balzin.

Erika, Snork!!!!!

I love the comradery here.

SteveP