Masters Running

Marathoner to Competitive Pentathlon Athlete in 6 weeks? (Read 159 times)

As many of you know the Ottawa marathon in 2 weeks will be my last “racing” marathon. If I achieve my sub 2:50 or not I will be satisfied with my marathon accomplishments. I do plan on continuing to race shorter distances and to run some marathons/ultra’s and run one more Boston but not at the same level. I have decided to switch gears at the end of May and train to compete in the Canadian Masters or United States Track and Field Championships held in mid July. Can one turn a lean skinny running body into a strong explosive muscular body in less than 6 weeks and be competitive in the following events all held on the same day? • Long jump • 200 meters • Javelin throw • Discus throw • 1500 meters Not sure how competitive I will be against other trained athletes who train year round for this but I see it as a great opportunity to return to my first sporting love: Track and Field. It will also give me the information I need to work thru the remainder of the summer and the following winter to reach the next level and hopefully go to the World Games. I am really looking forward to the next challenge. I will of course keep running 5K’s and 10K’s and keep posting to this forum but my focus will change a bit, at least for a while. Crazy Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

#artbydmcbride

Two questions; will one of the races involve hurdles? And will you be training in the classical manner? Blush "In the classical games, it was traditional for all of these events to be performed naked." Big grin

Runners run

Tall - I will confirm that you are absolutely nuts. Just reading about doing this stuff makes my muscles hurt. May I suggest that you also do that 'thon thing where you get to shoot stuff? Good luck with it....(and your finale marathon). But I'd bet SpareRibs left arm that you'll come back to competitive marathoning at some point. Ray

"older but not dead yet"

I don't know about being able to build the necessary muscular explosiveness you need in 6 weeks but I would recommend the following: a mixture of plyometric bounding and rebounding exercises off of blocks, hopping and skipping work on individual legs etc. and explosive Olympic lifts, ex. power cleans, both with a slight knee bend and in full squat position, deadlifts, high pulls off of blocks, snatch cleans and power snatches, unilateral power presses with dumbbells, dumbbell cleans and presses and rotational cable work to work your obliques and abdominal core. Can I assume that you have most of the technique down from your T&F experience? This is where good coaching is imperative. But the wt. work is key because this is really 4 explosive events capped by an endurance event. Good luck in your endeavor. Your natural speed, desire, motivation and past experience should do you well. Alex
          Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.