Masters Running

Thursday 8-23...... (Read 445 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning....

Quick post before I head to work. Got up at 4:30am and ran a fast 6 miles which ended up being a surprise tempo run. No garmin, but was definitely a 7:00 something pace run, and was planning on just running easy. Can't believe how much I love running very early in the morning, which I can thank my Donna for that....such a joy running with her.

I decided I don't need to know why she did what she did....may hurt me even more. So if she contacts me fine - if not fine too. I treated her very good, and surely she will think about that and miss me. But it's going to be her loss.....

Have a good day ....and thanks for your kindness - I need that

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

coastwalker

Mornin'!

Timbo, it is good to see that you are starting to look forward, and not dwelling on the past. As hard as it can be at times, we all have to do that to survive and thrive.

Mary, I usually go to bed at 9:30-10:00. I probably don't get as much sleep as I should, but I get what I get, and it works for me. You're lucky to have never had poison ivy. It can make life rather unpleasant for about 10 days or so. I think I got it this time while pulling some vines off our winterberrys over the weekend. I didn't think those vines were PI, but in retrospect, they seem to be the logical culprit. Speaking of the PI, it kept waking me up last night, so I didn't sleep all that well. So I stayed in this morning to try to get some extra zzzz's, rather than go for a workout. Tomorrow's another day.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

2 easy for me.  Busy day with work and home repair.  Guess I could have got up at 4:30 like the real go getters on this forum, but I have this darn phlegmatic temperament that prevents stuff like that.

Dual problems with the house.  Master bathroom shower drain/bottom leaks and the hot water pipe to my sink in the master bathroom leaks.  Plumber will be here today to fix the pipe.  Shower will just be ripped out and replaced.  Since the whole dining room ceiling (below the bathroom) is gone I think Cindy is going to complete remodel the bathroom.  Since everything is open, it will be easy for a contractor to rewire and change the plumbing and drains.  I just hope she doesn't get carried away and forget to include a toilet in the new design.

Since I figured out it is a hot water pipe that is leaking, I turned the water back on in the house but then turned off the hot water.  Makes life a little more bearable during the day while I work. 

Since the whole dining room ceiling (below the bathroom) is gone I think Cindy is going to complete remodel the bathroom. 

Sounds like the perfect setup for an HGTV episode. Take before and after pictures, please!

(((Tim))) I read your posts yesterday. It's too bad the way Donna ended things. But I had a problem with her trying to get her ex to take full custody of her son because of his behavior issues. We've all had problems with our kids, some of them pretty bad. I think parents who really love their kids try to work through the tough times. I was a single parent for a lot of years after my divorce and it was not easy trying to raise two boys when their father was busy starting another family with his new wife. It was brutal at times but my sons and I are so close now, I can't imagine not having them in my life.

Tom W - interested to see what kind of advertising pops up in your e-mails after your SM searches Big grin

Kids glad to be back in school Holly? I forgot - did DS get his license yet?

Cross training day today. 5 miles on the eliptical, 4 miles on the bike, 45 minutes of weights and core work.

Has anyone else gotten hooked on HBO's "The Newsroom"?  If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it. Great stuff.

King of PhotoShop

6 miles easy at the park with my RP, so now I'm down to 21 miles to go, 3 this afternoon and then 9's tomorrow and Saturday. This is working out quite well.  No fatigue at all any more.

I decided to do a blog post about the benefits of two-a-days, and since I'm no expert but Tinman is, I wrote to him for a quote.  He wrote back with a complete article for me, so Monday's DMN running blog will be on that subject right from Tinman.  Some good ideas in his article and I'll post the link here. 

What Greek mathematician wrote "The Elements?"  Spareribs

Still tapering for the Crim, but starting to feel sluggish about it, so I went to the rec center this morning and spent some time in the pool, trying out my new swim fins for the first time. That's a really good workout and I plan to keep it up over the winter and see how much of a conditioning improvement I feel after a few months at it.

Some friends drove out to park at a local school to do their run and were surprised to see a bus tipped over on its side in the lot and another one sticking out of the nearby woods. They couldn't figure out what was going on until they discovered that they're shooting a film locally. Not sure of the title, but it might be "Tornado" or "Force 5" or something like that. I think the movie takes place somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, but is being shot here in Michigan.

They're also shooting at nearby Oakland University and converted an outlying parking lot into a used car lot. And it was amazing to see how many trucks, trailers, people, cranes, and other equipment are necessary just to shoot a few scenes for a B-movie.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Good Morning. Thanks for starting us out this morning Tim. I, too, was sorry / shocked to read of the abrupt way Donna ended your relationship. Like JLynne said though - her ability or desire to want to give up all custody to her son, because he's "difficult", to me, sort of indicates her propensity to just be able to let relationships she cares about 'go away', ykwim? seems like she can somewhat easily detach herself from those that are important to her. And then to pretty much do the same to you - just let you go in such a cold hearted way - well, i guess it's best you saw this side of her now rather than after a possible future marriage date, yk?

Dave, sounds like a perfect time for a bath remodel. maybe you can have his and her toilets too Wink . . . i wouldn't mind if a few pipes started bursting in my kitchen and we had to gut it all out.

since we cooled off into the upper 80's yesterday (that really did feel pleasant after so many days in the 100's!), I thought it would be a good time to go to the HS track and do some intervals. well, upper 80's on a black rubber track with the sun still shining is brutal. My lofty and unrealistic goals of 6x400m w/ 2min jogs were just that: unrealistic.  After a warm-up, I started the intervals but at the end of my 3rd one, I was done. I just didn't have it in me to crank out 3 more. Haven't done speedwork, track work, intervals for months - maybe even since last summer!  I was surprised I ran a 1.51, 1.50 and 1.50, because I barely felt like I was under 2:00 for each one.  When I told David what my interval times were, he semi-laughed, shook his head and said "wow mom. that's sad, real sad." . . . LOL 

I think I'll hit the trails again tonight. it's cooler in the shade.

Tammy

Tim, this is none of my business, but I think she owes you an explanation, even if it is something you don't want to hear.  I'd send her a snail mail as Leslie suggested.

Well, my 26th wedding anniversary is today.  I can't believe it's been that long.  We are going to a mediterranean restaurant for dinner.  Everything on the menu is "served with our house garlic sauce".  DH says it is extremely garlicky.  Good thing we have been married for so long.

4.2 miles this morning, my usual route, except out of boredom, I did it in reverse.  Problem is, part of the route is an out and back so it didn't feel that different.  I'll have to start running over the hiway to mix things up, otherwise I am basically trapped between the interstate and huge hills.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Happy 26 years of marriage, Enkephalin!

Happy CRIM tapering my Roach Joking.

Timbo, what Tamster said.

Lovely morning here. Cool air brought by a gentle breeze. This week I tried the 10/20 approach to training. I ran 10 miles with some zombiesleks to tired my legs out for today's 20 miler. Mission accomplished Big grin. To my surprise, today I ran one of the fastest 20 miler in recent history. The body is a mysterious machine.

All of the sudden I am craving ribs and some garlicky mediterranean food!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Jay, sorry to hear about the poison ivy.  Years ago, I had it a couple of times and it's no fun.  My grandmother's neighbor told us of an old remedy.  Work up a lather with yellow laundry soap (do they still make it?), apply the lather to the PI and let it dry, leave it on until you bathe and then apply it again.  As I recall, it helped quite a bit.  bike, I'm sorry to hear of the abrupt and painful way your relationship ended.  I wish you the best in recovering and moving on.  Twocat, congrats on 1st in AG in Saturday's race.  fatozzig, I can sure relate to bathroom issues during a run.  For several years, I just assumed I would have to stop sometime during every run.  I tried several things suggested by other runners and none seemed to help.  By accident, however, I hit on something that seems to work for me.  Every night before I go to bed, I eat several dried dates and several dried apricots.  In the morning, I stretch and when I "go" I usually get well cleaned out.  (More TMI on a TMI issue).  I rarely need to stop since I started this.  I don't know if it would work for someone else but it's sure easy and harmless.  enke, happy anniversary.  Dave, I hope the remodel project goes well.

Nice long runs for Twocat, bike, and mari (two of them and one fast).  Good job on the speedwork for opie and Tammy (tough intervals).

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and almost calm.  I got in 4 miles at an 11:17 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tom W - interested to see what kind of advertising pops up in your e-mails after your SM searches Big grin

...No, actually you Don't........sheeeesh, I'm still having Nightmares.

======

double weight sessions today

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Spareribs, I look forward to Tinman's article.  Tammy, I think those are good paces.  Maybe if you did run them a little slower like 2 minutes you could have done more?  Enke, Happy Anniversary!

I'll run after work.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Thanks for the info, TW.  Maybe that and getting up a little bit earlier (but earlier than 4:30??) to give things time would do the trick.  Hmmm . . . I don't see myself getting up earlier than 4:30 . . . .

Tim - What Tammy said.

Ribs, Mediterranean Food, Garlic - Who's cooking?  I'll be right over.

Happy Anniversary, Enke!

Thanks for the chuckle, Dave.  His and Hers toilets.  Shoot.  I'd settle for a bathroom that's actually big enough for two people period.  When the previous owners did the remodel, they must've forgotten about adding a "master" (term used VERY loosely and definitely tongue-in-cheek) bath.  If you're sitting on the commode, you can lean over and close the door, spit in the sink while brushing your teeth, and take a shower all at once.

I didn't get to sleep until well after midnight last night, so no up and at 'em at 4:30.  Will do my 5 miles with speed work after work.

[Rant On]

It's been an freaking hectic morning for me (not the ranting part), including dealing with a cranky guy who is purchasing a vehicle from an estate we're handling.  The guy looked like he was in a lot of pain with his back, and I think he was at the end of his rope with our client, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  However, I felt like telling him that since we live and work in California, it is not my job to know what Oregon will require to transfer a vehicle out an estate in California.  Instead, I called the Oregon DMV as he basically demanded and got what information I could for him.  Long story sort of short, he left after talking to our client on the phone, my boss, and with directions to the local DMV, and after shooting me daggers from his eyes and declaring to his wife in our lobby where we could all hear that neither "the attorney or her assistant know what they're doing."  Maybe a pain pill and muscle relaxer would help set him in a better frame of mind. Wink

[Rant Off]

Later, friends ~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Ouch!  Sorry Leslie. 

Had to smile when I saw it was Enke's anniversary, because now every year on my b'day I'll think, "and it's enke's annivesary too!"

Just finished 3 more at the park.  18 to go in 2 days.  Spareribs

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

TimBo - so sorry to hear about your breakup.  Stay strong.

Holly - you were flying in that photo - literally.  Was that guy behind you clapping for you?

Happy birthday Ribs.

TomW - you crack me up.  Like a whip.

Been away for a long time.  Just waiting for the running okay from my knee doc - and I got it today.  Two words - "No restrictions."  Yes!  I registered for Boston as one of the deferrals.  Now I'm debating whether I can ramp up in time for the Palm Beach marathon on December 2nd.  Hmm.

Good day all.