Masters Running

Monday, May 12th Daily Thread (Read 539 times)

OMG -- I just looked on the AHA site -- I think 176 is 100% max heart rate for my age...
    http://beertown.org/homebrewing/about.html Funny. I didn't see anything about heart rate on the AHA site.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

TomW- I wear them,but only in the dark of morning...
      ...yeah, I saw pictures of 'em, NO WAY they're being worn without covering....... I just hope My Mother doesn't find out......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

No running for me Doc said two days off. Went to the foot Doc (DW 1st cousin so there's no bill) about the lump that appeared on top of foot after half mar. It really didn't bother me but DW insisted. He thought it was a ganglion and removed the fluid with a needle. We'll see what happens, 50% it will come back & if it does we'll go from there. I think maybe I tied my shoe too tight for the race. Tim it's sad to hear about your situation w/Mom but glad you turned so well. Tom White I was wondering how you taped the hip, I've had a hip (right point) problem for almost 3 years it's a constant effort to keep it under control so the bursitis doesn't return.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Henrun

Marj and I were away for a week and lots happened according to all these posts. We were on a bike tour and, in order to pack light, we didn't take our laptop, so, we were totally out of touch. We had a wonderful tour-Charleston, S.C. to Savannah, Ga. and covered about 110 miles in 5 days. We met some nice folks who came from all over in a group of 19. The weather was hot and sunny-but quite ideal for cycling. One of the many highlights for me was finding Johnny Mercer's grave in Savannah and singing Moon River, etc. (for you younger folks, Johnny was one of the great songwriters of the 20th century and co-founder of Capital Records). We did manage to get one run in-5 miles- on the the pedestrian path of the beautiful new suspension bridge in Charleston. This morning, after a week of no running, I did a 4 miler 2 min./mile faster than my usual morning runs. I guess X-training helps-but I hate giving up a week of running when I'm not injured. By the way, speaking of injuries, Marj's knee is much better. I know that a week off has helped her.
          btb1490

Good evening folks! Toes are overrated anyway. WRFB- I don't know what more odd, that we post pictures of our feet, or that we take pictures of them in the first place. evanflein- yard work is the best x/t! I take it all the snow is finally gone. dromedary- how did the party go this weekend? I hope it was fun for everyone. Enjoy your DH's shaved chest while it is still smooth. Once it gets all stubbly, ouch! I hope the test went well. fjordrunner- screamed when I saw a scary snake sunning itself. Phew, say THAT three times fast! Border collies are amazing dogs! vista- two excellent course suggestions for high school. runningindc- fingers, and toes (even though I don't have any), are crossed for your injury-to-be-gone! GOod luck. enke- very nice of you to recognize your mothers limitations. Glad to hear your knee is doing better. It must've been the brownies. PJH- very nice story about your daughter and foster daughter. Smile Thank you for sharing. YOu are a great guy! Aamos- Thanks for checking in! It wouldn't feel right if you didn't. Smile nono- I hope Florida does the trick for you and your family. It's obvious how well your mom is loved. Sarge- amazing how something as silly as tying your shoes too tight can cause such grief. I hope the procedure helps. Henrun and Marj- another adventure for you guys! Very cool! Congrats on the speedy run Henry, and I hope Marj's knee issues are finally behind her. It has been a pleasure. I bid you a very heartfelt good night. Smile

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sue...they make medication for people like you, lol....GREAT JOB!!! Thanks for all the "hugs" today, but that wasn't the intent of my story. But still feels nice...actually have tears in my eyes knowing my running family cares sooo much. In a hurry, but I ran a 10 mile PR tonight....will give details in the morning when I have more time....in the middle of spring cleaning my bathroom, fun fun stuff....but stoked about my run. Have a great night night all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

....sarge//.......just below the ''crease'' in the hip onto the thigh.... ..layer each piece of tape half-way down the one before it (much better support) ,,,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,and SOAK it off when you remove it..........trust me on that one...... ,,,,,,,,here's some basics http://www.wwsi.co.uk/injury.html#Simple_Taping_Steps (ignore the ''shave off the hair'' ones)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, loooong daily thread today, with lots of heartfelt posts. Too much to respond to individually so I'll just respond to what I remember... Soundie, welcome back! How are ya? Ribs, you're a dawg. Step AWAY from the HAWT WIMMIN. I mean it. Henrun and marj, welcome back! We missed you. Nono, hugs to your mom and your sweet sister! I'm so sorry to hear that some of you had moms who weren't there for you. It sounds like mental illness is a real possibility. A friend of mine had a mom who was a drug addict, and he and his brother went to live with their aunt and uncle when he was 5. His mom eventually died of an OD. At least he had his aunt and uncle, who were good people. My mom drives me crazy because she has to have the last word on everything, but she has a good heart and she was good to us when we were growing up. I'm bringing up my own daughter in much the same way. We used to make handmade valentines, bake cookies, do lots of crafts, go for hikes, make mud pies, make blanket forts, etc. My daughter told me she hopes she has a daughter of her own someday, and she wants to raise her the same way. Made me feel special. Blush And I tell her I love her, every day, and I tell her she's my favorite kid. (Of course, she's my ONLY kid.) She tells me I'm her favorite mom. Except sometimes when she's mad at me, she tells me I'm a mean mom. I just laugh and tell her she has NO IDEA what a real mean mom would be like. Oh, yeah... this is a running forum. I ran 4.5 miles today, and it started hailing at the end. It has since turned to snow. 6-12 inches predicted overnight. Bah. Who's stoopid idea was it to live at 9300 ft in the Rocky Mountains, anyway?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thank you vista. Rib bones - glad you're back to a semblance of running again. Isn't it fun finding out that mid/forefooting is comfortable for slow runnin' too. However, I know you've tried before 11/2005>> but runnin' with the goddesses usually comes before the flirting. your friend - jon franci59 - before she became famous; econo - 2005; ilene/mariposai;arf - 2006; mariposai/mariposai/mariposai; tammy; arf - 2007; franci59 - 2008 >>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tet... I think you missed one from 2007. Angry
                        Tet... I think you missed one from 2007. Angry
                        and one from 2006.... Cry susan (off to work...)