Masters Running

Knee support recommendations (Read 16 times)

My doctor recommended that I start wearing a "patellar knee sleeve," which is one of those neoprene sleeves that goes over the knee with a cutout over the kneecap, which it is intended to stabilize. I chose one somewhat at random at the local pharmacy and even though it feels OK wearing it, I'd like to find something that's more intended for runners' use (stays in place, breathes so not too hot, etc.).

Any recommendations on this item? I've also seen those Chopat straps that supposedly have support for the kneecap but am not sure if that's just marketing or snake oil. Any experience with those?

Of course the problem is that there are umpteen types of knee problems and it's just not clear exactly what device is best for which condition. But any advice is appreciated!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Singer who runs a smidge

I've used the Chopat straps, and they're not entirely snake oil, but they don't really solve the issue.  I'm battling a severe case of PFS.  I didn't like the sleeve with the knee cutout, it did nothing for me.  What's helping the most are quad exercises, clamshells, hamstring stretches, squeezing a ball between my knees.  Daily.  It's boring as heck but leads to less pain, and actually feels like I'm solving the problem rather than temporarily fixing it.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Forgot to mention that I ice my knees daily, 15 minutes.  Since I can't take a lot of anti-inflammatories, the ice helps keep ahead of things.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/futuro-sport-moisture-control-knee-support/ID=prod6152402-product

I have one of these, size small (they run big I think). You want it yours. It has neoprene in it and I am allergic to that.

Send me an address and I'll mail it.

Craig

theprofromdover gmail

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

King of PhotoShop

Can't believe we got a celebrity drop by from the Pro.  Spareribs