Masters Running

Wed Feb 20 Hump Day Runs and Ramblings (Read 747 times)

evanflein

arigatou takusan sugoi daisuki swoonalina bijin, .....
    See? There he goes again! Wink Our tracks are available for use, but not used much. The local running club uses them on a couple of weeknights thru the summer for training (haven't gone to one yet, but it's on my list to try this summer!) and some "All Comers" track meets (haven't done those either). They are fenced to keep morons off them with vehicles, but easy access on foot. Thanks, BTB... and as for that eclipse... I doubt we'll see it cuz of high clouds and our sunset happens at about the same time! I'll look for it, though. Soundie... I'm going to do one more session (tonight supposedly...) of mile repeats at 10k pace... I was hoping to be able to string at least two miles together, but so far unable to do so. A little concerned about holding my own with the relay... but at least my second leg is all downhill (whee!) so that one should be ok. It's the last one I'm concerned about. I know the pressure is all internal, but like most people, I'm my own worst critic. Sun is streaming in the windows... 40 minutes till quittin' time. Argh. Nothing like sitting on my butt in meetings all day to make me feel slow, fat and sluggish. Undecided I'm hoping the "need for speed" clicks in after a nice little warm up...

Marathon Maniac #3309

Speaking of tracks to run on that are locked....I have to admit I jump the fence and do my track workout....it's where I ran track 30 years ago....man, I don't feel that old. lol. I still hold the record for shot put and discus after all these years. I was a little guy, but really strong and quick....and about 50 pounds more than I am now. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hi everyone - i can't figure out the quotes so this is the best i can do - sorry: "deez4boyz- you do all that AFTER work? I'm surprised you have the energy left." sometimes i get a second wind and can hit the gym after work and if i make plans with someone for a short run that always works - other times i can't even make it home without stopping in a parking lot off the highway for a 10 minute nap!! and yes - i can't believe i made a commitment in front of Dave McGilvary and a room full of triathletes that i would definitely do one, but that will definitely push me to start training - now i just need to find a pool with decent hours and a decent fee!! today - was going to get up early and head out for a run, but the 25 degree temps and high winds made me crawl back under the covers.........oh well - i did go for an hour massage that was heaven - that's part of training right?? then we drove to Killington VT so the younger 2 boys can ski/snowboard for 2 days - i hit the pathetic excuse of an exercise room they have here and did 3.1 miles on the treadmill and 15 minutes on a bike - the room consists of 1 old treadmill, 2 bikes and 1 stairmaster that have all seen better days......maybe i can find a store that sells YakTraks and go out for a run -- it is pretty up here - they've had over 200 inches of snow so far this winter!! HAPPY WEDNESDAY!! 4 more days til the Hyannis 1/2 marathon!! oh - and CNYrunner - are you taking the bus from MA to Kittery Maine for the Eastern States 20 miler? i'm going to sign up for it with a friend of mine - would love to see you there!!

denise

bap

I did run in the end. It sucked! 4.35 miles at 10:20 pace.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

HappyFeat

Just in from a lovely 4-mile run watching the lunar eclipse in progress the whole way - felt wonderful.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

wildchild

Carolyn

wildchile- the warming trend continues by you I see. At this rate the snow should be gone by June, right?
              Yeah, that's about right! But if I choose to live at 9300 ft, who am I to complain? Big grin And the 40 degrees was at work, not at home. DH called from Moab, Utah, where he's working, and said he'd been watching the eclipse. I thought it was supposed to be at 10 pm, but I guess that's eastern time. Duh! So DD and I went out to look but it's totally cloudy here. Cry Supposed to snow later tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Erika, my comment was directed specificially to 400s, not longer intervals. Are you doing your mile repeats with a 60-90 sec. rest in between, I hope? This relay is for funfunfunfunfun. Please no worries about holding your own. And, certainly, not running so fast you risk getting injured or putting a kink in goal race training. Here's what typically happens for me during a relay: first leg: tempo run. This is when you still care what your van mates think of you. Second leg: tempo to MP run. Van impressions are waning. Third leg: The " I don't give a flying flip" pace or alternatively, "I'm tired, stinky and you guys stink too, so just let me out of this van" type run. I just want it OVER with. Does that help? Big grin
                evanflein

Yeah, Soundie, that helps. And I know the focus is on fun. But still, I really want to see how well I can do on this thing. And tonight I managed to crank out two 10k miles in a row, then another after a half mile "rest" at MP, then another .5 at 10k pace. So, 3.5 10k miles in all. That makes me feel a little better confidence-wise. I may try it again on Saturday, but tomorrow will be just EZ stuff, and Friday will be rest day as usual. As for my relay legs, I'm really looking forward to the second one. Just wish it was in the daylight! It's rated "hard" but it's all downhill with a couple of turns so should be fast! Still wondering about how we'll do with running in the desert with no showers... oh boy.
                    Hi everyone - i can't figure out the quotes so this is the best i can do - sorry:
                    deez...about the quotes. I haven't got them fully figured out, but can do some of it. Here's what I do: Find the post that you want to quote. Click on quote. Highlight the stuff you don't want to quote. Then delete. Be sure to leave the < quote="" some="" kind="" of="" user="" id="" stuff="" /> here's the stuff you want to quote I don't know how to do multiple quotes...someone can chime in. Click quote on my post and see how the stuff that I quoted you on.... After reading this....it makes absolutely no sense...sorry.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM