Masters Running

Whensday? 3.16.16 (Read 36 times)

moebo

Rose! You did the right thing with that little girl today by getting her excited to take on a challenge, That's exactly the kind of attitude we are encouraged to foster in our students.

I would like to be a runner, but  I think I may be destined to be a jogger.

For me, a runner races. I almost never race because I get too nervous.

Runners are fast. I am slow. I would like to get a little faster, but whenever I try too hard I get injured.

Like right now! I've got a mysterious lower back/hip/butt pain that doesn't want to get better..

A while back I took a week off, then went back to jogging. After a few times, I was feeling better so I tried to run. Unfortunately that was too much, so now I am back to the elliptical.

This too shall pass. Then I will probably go back to being a jogger who tries a little to hard to be a runner, and it will all start all over again. Oh well.

Henrun

One of the running clubs I belong to is the Fresno Joggers (Fresno Ca.) It was established over 30 years ago when the words "running" and "jogging" were interchangeable. Many of the members are "aged" like me but some are quite fast. We're proud of the name and join them every couple of years for social and run get togethers. We went back for the 30th anniversary and hope to see them this fall for another "jog" or two.

Mike E

MM #5615

I run--therefore, I am a runner.  I do not jog--therefore, I am not a jogger.  If somebody asks me if I "jogged today", I will tell them, "No--I ran".  Well, actually, if somebody asked me if I jogged, today, I would have to say, "No...and I didn't run, either."  Because, today, was a rest day.  And, for me, it has nothing to do with speed--it's all about attitude.

Wow--that kind of sounded snooty--I didn't mean to sound snooty.  Or was it snotty?  Snooty or snotty?  Hmmm...I think that might be all about attitude, as well.

spinach

Jogging, Running? Why make a big deal about a silly word that some people may be using incorrectly.  It doesn't bother me if someone says I jogged  or if they said Iran.  The two words are synonymous to them.  They are trying to be nice i don't see any need to correct their perhaps improper language.  I am easy.

I ran the Hump Day 5k or now a bit longer than 5k because of the construction of a parking ramp, and a couple mile warmup, this evening at my local running store.  A nice enjoyable run (some may call it a jog) each week.

Mariposai

Jogging, Running? Why make a big deal about a silly word that some people may be using incorrectly.  It doesn't bother me if someone says I jogged  or if they said Iran.  The two words are synonymous to them.  They are trying to be nice i don't see any need to correct their perhaps improper language.  I am easy.

I ran the Hump Day 5k or now a bit longer than 5k because of the construction of a parking ramp, and a couple mile warmup, this evening at my local running store.  A nice enjoyable run (some may call it a jog) each week.

Welcome Spinach!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jogging vs. running.

Though they’ve come to be used pretty interchangeably, I’ve never been in a jogging race so, unless I’m walking, I’m consider myself to be running, even though marathons may take seven hours and more. In particular, while thefreedictionary . com indicates jogging may mean to “to run . . . at a steady slow trot” that is “a slow or leisurely pace” . . . “faster than a walk,” it also starts out with the traditional meaning of “to move by . . . jerking“ and with “a jolting rhythm.”
              That’s what I did for the first 25 years of my recreational fitness running when we were told that slower runners should be heel-striking. Fortunately, when I started running barefoot and heel-striking became too painful and I had to strike down mid-to-fore foot, I became a runner with the same form as, MikeE, Aamos, the wise guy, etc. to say nothing of Frank Shorter, Boston Billy, our beloved Joanie, Abebe Bikila and all other fast runners even though I take twice as long as MikeE to run a marathon nowadays.
              In fact, I bet if MikeE could be filmed in slow motion and me speeded up so our cadences and strides meshed, our foot striking would look the same. .
              Although I understand MikeE’s aversion to jogging and its current definition of slow, leisurely, etc., I don’t care what people call me, . . . as long as it isn’t “fast.”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

My will is simple, Jay. At my funeral, everyone will be handed tasers. The last person standing gets all my stuff.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

In fact, I bet if MikeE could be filmed in slow motion and me speeded up so our cadences and strides meshed, our foot striking would look the same. .

Spinach - nice to have you posting here - welcome!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."