Masters Running

What's the best type of speedwork for marathon training? (Read 732 times)

Ribs - as always you are wise (and have a remarkable memory) - but I think people would take you more seriously if you used some of those face things above. Shocked Roll eyes Seriously - your point is well taken - there is a big difference between what mileage would make us faster and what we can handle (or have time for). The reason I keep dabbling with higher mileage is because it does work - although perhaps eventually I'll become tired of getting burned... All in all, a good thread... I'm glad I wandered over here. I made a brief appearance on Kick Runners but this feels more like home. Roll eyes Shocked Ray

King of PhotoShop

I would have to get some technical person to help me figure out how to use emoticons. I have never ventured to do so. Quite often people have remarked that they aren't sure when to take me seriously or not. That seems okay with me. People can take what they want or need from any post on the internet. Of all the people who post on these running forums, I read almost everyone, ignore a few, but really sit up and pay attention to about six people. Ray, thanks. What is up next for you? Spareribs
      Tramps

I would have to get some technical person to help me figure out how to use emoticons.
        Finally, something I can contribute to this thread: 1. Put your cursor on the appropriate emoticon. 2. Click.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hey gang, Although I've kept quiet (so far) I have been enjoying this thread for a few days now. Great stuff! As a couple of you know, I ran my first marathon in many years last month. Not that I am in the mood to do another one next month, but I can't stop thinking about it. I'm tentatively planning my next near the end of the year. I will almost surely follow the same approach that Ray ("rbmoose") did by doing 2 big workouts a week and running very easily on all the other days. I used a scaled down version for most of the year that lead to a bunch of PR's from 5k-30k. At the end of the year I tried to tack on a couple long runs to what I'd already done and jumped into the aforementioned marathon. Although my time was decent, it wasn't nearly as good as the HM and 30k I'd run leading up to it and I suffered a whole lot over the last 10k. As so many of said already, I believe that these LONG runs witih blocks at M pace, and fast finish runs are a big key. That was something I didn't do much of but hope to be incorporating more of during the 2nd half of this year. Interesting stuff about the V02 max too. According to Tinman, at least, this applies even more to older runners than those who are still in peak years. Although we do lose some V02 max, there isn't a lot we can do at this stage to significantly improve it. There is much more bang for the buck in doing a high pct of training at right around threshold level. It can be improved at almost any age.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            Finally, something I can contribute to this thread: 1. Put your cursor on the appropriate emoticon. 2. Click.
            Too funny!!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              oops. as ribs points out, sometimes these threads stray from the original question. i'm sure everyone will agree thebest speedwork is the type that doesn't get you injured and puts a smile on your face.
                Bill – re: 4 to 6 repeats of 1000 meters or so with 90 seconds to 2 minutes between them. On a treadmill, do you think 5 minutes would be about 1000m? At what pace? Re: tempo paces less than 8:00? Not likely right now. My speed fitness has diminished hugely since summer. The 5-mile race I ran in November was 7:53 pace, and that was about all I had to give at the time. In training runs 8:00 is barely reachable right now. Hup – I just made up my own marathon plan based on 6-8 that I looked at, but I was more concerned with LR schedules, so I didn’t really pay attention to speedwork (my eyes sort of glazed over when I saw all those numbers and I don’t have a track nearby). Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.
                The intervals, 800M, 1200M, 1600M...5K pace.... Tempo's...15K to Half Marathon Pace... I would highly recommend you take a look at the Jack Daniels VDOT tables for training paces... I have a spreadsheet that calculates it for you.. Also, Jack Daniels "Daniels Running Formula", and Pete Pfitzinger Road Running for Seriious Runners" and "Advanced Marathoning" provided the most significant impact on my running....A must read... These books were recommended to me by CR Boomers when I first arrived on the site.... Also, regarding mileage....no doubt in my mind that if a body can handle high mileage (65 plus) their Marathon Pace will improve...The elites demonstrate that.... I tried a 70 mile plan the summer of 2006, my previous base was about a high of 62 miles a week....after 2 months of training I began to break down...and had to reduce my mileage...this body was not ready to take the higher mileage... Could I do it?...I am not sure....if I were to try it again...I would improve my base mileage such that 60 miles a week was a regular event in my training. You CANNOT increase mileage too quick....it should be a gradual thing.....and of course that definition depends on the individual....their base mileage....years of traiing ...etc... Just my thoughts...