Masters Running

40's + On The Run....Looking Towards the Future... (Read 498 times)

tomorrow will be the day to get it all hashed out. Kelly
    Did somebody say hash? Cool
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Evryday: Big grin trying out Jewels' "quickies' today....3.1 Mairead miles before clients get here....later, off to Ski & Snowboard Expo...I need some new boots (feet have gotten bigger since running! Roll eyes ) & maybe some type of ski pass....still snowing up top (according to weatherman) we'll go see for ourselves later... oh, I 'popped' my ankle - kinda like "cracking knuckles" w/icing last night & it feels fine this am Confused
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Yep, Kelly, nice pic Smile. Glad the kiddo's are settling down AND outta the house so you can recharge. Cindy, sorry to jinx you w/ the "noone is seriously injured" comment. I should know better Blush Joe, no Buddy? LOL! I understand...doggie runs are a whole 'nother thing sometimes. OK, I'm going to try uploading some pics...two from today's Speedway Run 5K and one from the Komen Dallas 5K a little while ago. If they turn out to make all the words string out and all, at least it's at the end of the weekly thread. I'll edit in a little verbiage if this works Confused. OK, that didn't work...trying a different image type thingie (technical term) Hey, that did the trick. First one is of mom getting her AG award today at the Speedway Run 5K (that is pure joy on her face if I ever saw it!! Big grin). Second is of me close to the finish. Third is of me and Mom with the "Target Dog" at the Komen Dallas 5K. I have committed a serious fashion feaux paux (or however that is spelled), and wore the same shorts to 2 races in a row. Please don't report me to the fashion police! Shocked The funny thing about that second pic is that I'm pretty sure that is a former co-worker of mine. I had NO idea until I got home and saw his name in the race results right next to mine (2 seconds apart). Nice guy...wish I had realized! I'll have to send that pic to him via e-mail. It was a BEAUTIFUL morning...not much wind, and I'd guess upper 50's to low 60's. It was a relatively small race with 323 participants, and this year they had chip timing, which was nice. One of the garages in the infield is the staging area, and the course takes you on a lap around the outside of the Texas Motor Speedway. When we started out, I looked down and my pace and was in the 7's, and knew that was a mistake. So I let mom get a lead, but could see her the whole way. It was a little up and down, but the inclines were very gradual, so it was easy to keep a pretty even pace. My splits were 8:41, 8:54, 8:56, (8:41)...nice and steady. Mom finished 1st/2 in her AG with a time of 28:03, and I was 4th/16 in mine in 28:42. The course measured 3.25 on my garmin and also measured long last year, which is why the total time doesn't match the splits, but it is what it is, and a good time was had by all. Oh, and they had hot breakfast burritos of varying kinds after the race, along w/ coffee, bagels, fruit, etc. Very nice event, and improved over last year. It's also fun that cars are zooming around the Speedway as we ran...something to keep our hubbies entertained. Hope to do this one again next year. Mom Speedway Run Award (L) Carol Speedway Run Finish (L) Mom and Me at Komen Dallas 2008
        Progress Trumps Pefection
          Are we talkin' homemade hash?? Yum! Yes, I'd like some, please! Carol - I don't know how old your mom is, but she looks great. Nice report and pics. Thanks for sharing. Re wearing the same shorts from race to race - almost all my pics of me are in black shorts or black running tights and a pink shirt. Wink Today's run was tough, tough, tough. It was so humid here, and I think that contributed to my demise. I was only about 5 min into my run when I had to stop and take a bunch of deep breaths. I had that feeling like you can't take a deep enough breath? It didn't happen again after that, but I felt zapped the entire run. I was about 3 miles from finishing when I started getting really nauseated. I thought I had been taking in enough fuel, but obviously not. I finally had to turn around and head out. I was fine if I was running downhill or a flat, but any size of an incline, the nausea would get bad again. I am assuming the humidity took more out of me than I'm used to. I was literally dripping sweat after only 30 min and spent almost all of the balance of the run with no shirt on. It was just too uncomfortable. My hydration pack it so wet, you'd think it rained on me the entire time. I think I got the entire 14 miles, but may have been short about .5 miles. It's hard 'cause I have to sit with the map of the forest and figure out which grouping of trails adds up to X-number of miles. Let's see: #8 is 1.73, #5 is .39 . . . . Blush I took in: 32 oz of fluids (GU2O/malto mix), 1 1/3 Clif bars, 4 shot blocks, and 2 S-caps. Plus I had a bagel w/cc about an hour before I ran (bagel - 50g carbs). When I got done, I went to my friend's house to shower, drink about 20 oz of milk w/Ovaltine, she fed me an apple and 2 pieces of toast, and about 1.5 hrs after the run, I had a veggie burrito. It's now about 5 hours since I finished and 3 hours since I ate the burrito, and I'm still hungry.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Are we talkin' homemade hash?? Yum! Yes, I'd like some, please!
            Of course! Is there any other kind?
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Ultrachick

Nice race Carol! and Congrats to Mom too! I didn't run today. I was out the door by 6am thismorning to drive to NH for a strength and conditioning clinic and spent the day learning new exercises using medicine balls and kettle bells, analyzing movement and how to train the core. Then I met Jack and the guys for dinner along their way to Boston. Looks like everyone is well and hopefully enjoying the weekend!
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                Yes, Carol....Congrats to you and your Mom!! Great photos.

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - Nice racing for both of you! You've almost caught her, too! Leslie - what a yucky day Sad But way to HTFU and finish your scheduled miles! Joe - I'm anal like that, too. Trotted out to watch our first (in many years) local marathon - what great fun to see people meet their goals, lots of excitement all around! There were about 3000 in the half and full altogether, a Very Big Deal around here! Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Not much running related going on here to report, catch up with the group after harvest.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III