Masters Running

Weds Boomer/Masters (Read 682 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Busy day here today....and I have read all the posts and enjoyed everyone of them. Second post today for me....today was suppose to be my mid week long run of about 12 miles. But due to working 13 hours today, and lack of quaility sleep, I backed off and ran a comfortable 9.2 miles at about 9:00 pace, then I walked the rest to make 10 miles for cool down. I normally would have pushed through and ran the full distance, but then would have had "trashed legs"....thanks to Ribs and Bob and others for helping me be smarter about my running!!!! I have a question to ask you wonderful people....this is really my first year at long distance running and training for Marathons. My long runs on Sat seem to be more difficult than they should. My scheduled rest day is Friday, but do you think taking Thurs off would be better, then I short run on Friday???? Just trying to figure out what is best since most races are on Sat mornings...thanks for letting me pick your brains a little bit. It's kinda funny that I think 9 miles is cutting it short, when a year ago I only ran 20 to 25 miles a week. Have a great night and Thursday everyone!!!! And get well SOON....to all that are sick and injured. Tim GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Got my run in this afternoon just before the weather got really crummy. Not really bad, just unpleasant. The weather that is, the run was another awesome almost effortless tempo run. I'll confess the first two and the fourth mile had either a lot or some downhill... but most of the rest was pretty flat, including a couple miles of headwind. Splits were: 7:59, 7:43, 7:50, 7:45, 7:37 (flat, headwind), 8:03 (road crossing, overpass), 7:52, 7:59 (more road crossings), last .77 mile was 7:56. 8.77 miles total, 7:51 avg pace, 1:08:52... I almost had a PBJ Special there! I don't know where these awesome runs are coming from, but I'm being careful not to burn out on them... tomorrow will be an EZ pace. Steve, you are such a delight. Tim, I sometimes find the run after a rest day is a little difficult, at least at first. I remember someone saying he'd rather take two days off rather than just the one. {{{Tammy}}} Hope this clears up soon.
      Mariposai

It was a sunny 57 degrees went I headed out for my MLR today. My objective was to start out slow and then go for a progressive run. I was pleasantly surprised with the following paces: Mile 1- 11:30 Mile 2- 10:40 (hill) Mile 3- 9:37 (HR 134) Mile 4- 10:23 (hill) Mile 5- 9:26 Mile 6- 9: 25 Mile 7- 9:04 (HR 153) Mile 8- 9:04 Mile 9 - 8:58 (HR 154) Miles 10 - 8: 50 (HR 156) Cool Yes, indeed I am growing stronger. Now I must get busy packing for our 4 day trip to the Oregon Coast. Great run Erika, wow...your easy pace is my faster ever mile. You are as STRONG as you are BEAUTY. What a wise decision to made Tim in ditching your 12 miler and running a comfortable 10 instead. EZE does it. You are doing so well in your marathon training. Which marathon are you training for?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

6+ slow miles at lunch, then 5 faster miles after work with the Running club--joined by Steve from Maryland, here to do some work at Ft. Meade, the veterans' facility--we're in the same corral at Boston, how coinkydinky. Lots of folks here training for Fargo. grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #3309

What a wise decision to made Tim in ditching your 12 miler and running a comfortable 10 instead. EZE does it. You are doing so well in your marathon training. Which marathon are you training for?
            Actually, I don't have a set Marathon I am going to run right now, but rather running a Marathon training cycle for the heck of it Cool. I don't really have any spring Marathons close to me, but will run my first this coming fall in Indy. I really just love just getting out there and running long miles, but I do have a lot of races set up for this spring and summer from 5K's to 1/2 Mary's which will lead to a fall Marathon, and Triathlons through out the summer. Thanks for your kind words.....you are doing awesome yourself!!!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!