Masters Running

Thumpthing for Thursday, 8.2.12 (Read 443 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all,

Interesting discussion about summer vs. winter workouts. There is a lot to like about both seasons. But I guess what I like best is looking forward in the summer to the refreshing cool crisp, dry air of fall and winter, and looking forward in the winter to warming air of spring and summer that will gradually let me strip back down to just shorts and a T.

I'm taking a rest day today because my legs are a little fatigued, and because DW and I have to hit the road early for a field trip to RI to pick up some furniture for a photo studio we're creating in one of our offices. I also have to lead a board meeting this evening, so it'll be a long day.

I hope your day is just long enough!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mornin' jay......

............fatozzig//.......we need pictures of your RacingCats....

YAY an econo-sighting.......

========

x-bike standing

double weight sessions

...........good running guys.......

Pickles

still at her Seminar in Indianapolis,

so the BadThingsEatFest continues

did you know that QuestoDip

works as a Sandwich Spread??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Summer versus Winter?  No contest!  (Now that August is here, 2 months of H&H done.  3 months of H&H to go.  40% there!)

This morning I did my running Lactate Threshold test.  15 minutes easy paced warm up, followed by 8 minutes of "get the HR up".  Then a 20 minute "give it all you got" Threshold Test.  (The average HR for this 20 minute section is the LT.)  Then a 15 minute cool down jog.

Whew!  These are tough to do this time of year.  But a good workout for sure.  The LT is 164 BPM.

Interestingly,  164 is exactly the HR I've always used as my Tempo pace.  And I've always considered 139 to be the upper limit of my Recovery pace.  And the highest HR I've ever seen is 182 (at the end of my 5K PR race).  So I'm not at all surprised by the results.  As you can see in the Run LT table below, everything lines up absolutely perfectly with what I've always used.

My Run LT of 164 is 11 beats higher than my Bike LT 153 (the 2nd table below).  It's normal to be higher.  Running is more of a load bearing workout than biking so the HR is higher for the same perceived effort levels.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

did you know that QuestoDip

works as a Sandwich Spread??

Big grin Next thing we know, you'll be putting it on vanilla ice cream! Pickles better come back quick.

Awesome workout this morning Bill - interesting data too.

Save travels to Rhode Island Jay.

Talk about "pretty in stink", I think I at least got the "in stink" part today. 2.5 mile run to the Y, 35 minutes on the eliptical, 20 minutes on the bike, 45 minutes of weights and a 2.5 mile run home. It was already 73° with lots of humidity when I left the house at 5:15. I agree with Tramps. You can only take off so many clothes - at least if you don't want to get arrested.

Hey Tim - lots of luck this weekend. You sound so happy and I'm glad life is good these days.

Where have Mary and OM been? Maybe they're on vacation????

Dave59

An hour of slow running again today.  Everyday is a rest day on the low heart rate training plan.

Big grin Next thing we know, you'll be putting it on vanilla ice cream! Pickles better come back quick.

...I have

noticed our fattest cat is looking Particularly Tasty.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

But I guess what I like best is looking forward in the summer to the refreshing cool crisp, dry air of fall and winter.

+1

I love the “Pretty in Stink” team name. Big grin

Dave—an hour of running—at whatever pace—is NOT a rest day.  You’re gonna see good results from all this consistency.

I’m officially out of my summer funk.  Starting a new month and knowing September is not that far away has been encouraging.  A very humid 7.1 this morning but this too shall pass.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Being a Latina, I enjoy the hot summer days. The hotter, the better, but not for running. I don't perform well at all in the heat. For training, I don't worry about the weather, I just go out and try to make the best out of it, but I do mind the wind.

Econo sighting is always brings a happy day around here. Have fun in the relay. I love relays. There is something about relays that brings my inner child out! 

Jay, that is one cool avatar! 

Pirate, what is QuestoDip? Poor Pickles, she will find a hippo when she returns.

Yesterday was 5 miles plus some upper body XT (seeing Holly's picture gives me hope that eventually all this holly-upping I am doing will pay off)

Now off to find the Editor, that twocat needs some serious brain washing and I hope the Editor can help!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

I think Tazzie should get the stink award - she had a skunk encounter last night, when I let the dogs out before bed. Wow, she smelled bad!  I washed her the best I could, but it's tough because she's a strong dog who does NOT like baths.  DH agreed that he'll help me wash her again tonight, as she still stinks.

5.9 trail miles before work today.  I'm really liking this morning running, although I'll be happy when it's cool enough to run at lunchtime.

What's QuestoDip?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

breger1 when you live in Florida there is no such thing as winter.  Kind of the point of the whole place I thought.

Jlynne wow some workout!

Holly S. a woman after my own heart!  Long live summer!  Cool

TammyinGP the problem with running up trees to walk your cat is that the cats get scared and then will not come down to head off for the next tree.  Man, don't you know anything about cat walking? Wink

fatozzig bring several mice in a cage.  Every now and then let one out.  The cat will follow.  Spend a good 20 minutes playing the mouse to death Dead and then follow you again hoping for another toy.  It will take awhile to get in a mile so I would recommend only taking cats on easy day runs.  Smile

Econo good to see you posting!  Sounds like a great set of team shirts!  How about a picture?

tomwhite I do not even know what QuestoDip is let alone that you can put it in a sandwich!  BTW I am not asking (but my post is!) why spay paint crutches?  Confused

Today it was off for 7.5 miles.  Yes, I ran yesterday.  But I want to run four days this week.  The town's weekly summer race is on Saturday.  So that means if I want to run about every other day and do the race there are going to be a back to back run days every now and then.  The weather here in CT today is great!  About 80° and for some reason the humidity level seems to be dropping.  To think, some people here are rooting for winter to come back!  Joking  As far as I am concerned it can stay like this all year!  In other news . . . well nothing actually.  Just working.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

I've been out-of-action for awhile, barely lurking - getting updates from henrun.  i'm in awe of you who run while taking care of kids activities, famillies, and work.

kudos - to all those with happy short & LONG runs and races and (((hugs)))) to all those in need.  I've been hearding but not responding.

cold is far easier for me then heat - I've gotten sick and/or lightheaded from 2 recent long runs.  hopefully tonight i'll go for a short, hot run, while henrun is heating up around a grill!

marj

fattozig, happy anniversary.  holly, nice picture of you and your son.  He's sure a big kid but, from the pictures you've posted of your husband, it's clear where your son gets his size.  Tramps, I'm sorry to hear about Tribee's hamstring tear.  I hope she can be patient as it heals.  opie, I hope the phone interview leads to a good job offer.

Nice long runs for Mike and Twocat.  Good job on the speedwork for opie.

This morning, it was in the md 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:43 pace.  It didn't feel real terrible and I felt that I could have done a little more.  In checking, the last time I did 8 miles was 5 May.  I'm holding out a glimmer of hope that I can attempt the 10 miler at the Crim in a few weeks.  Complicating things is that we leave tomorrow for our annual family reunion in Ludington (hoping for a run with brother Dave (selb3)), return Monday, and then leave for about 5 days to go to a wedding in Minn.  I don't think I'll get much running in the next couple weeks.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Anyone else have their Olympic TV viewing scheduled around all other obligations?

I need to be home early tomorrow so I can watch the men's 10K, but the I-90 bridge is closed for an air show until sometime in the afternoon, and hey, my boss is out of town.....might not make it into work at all!  (Thanks Seafair, for the excuse!)

Then up early Sun to watch the women's mary, then up next Sunday at 4am! to watch the men's.

This morning, a lovely 57F, usual humidity, partly cloudy.  Made for a nice run of 5 miles, a bit sluggish still.  No foot pain.  I'll probably run 30 or more miles again this week, which makes me happy.  Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Bill, I loved the LT data.  We're not that different.  Mine typically runs about 160 but during training for Vegas last year, it was a little higher like your 164.  If I were faster, it would cool to use the HR data from a 5k because that would be about 20 minutes but I'll probably never see that kind of time.  Coach has me running a (free) 2-mile race soon so we'll see what that produces even though it's not 20 minutes.

tselbs, thanks for the kind wishes about the phone interview.  It was supposed to be this afternoon but got moved to Monday because the Deputy Director of the program was stuck in a meeting.  It would be interesting to get insight from Ribs or anyone familiar with Newburgh.  I just read a scary article from the New York Magazine about gangs there.

My 6-mile run was surprisingly easy last night, considering it was 103.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

I too like running in the summer, but I do wish I was able to get out to run early before work more often.  This week I work at 7, so I need to be up at 4:50 to make that work.  Maybe if I was faster....  At least the sun is out either before or after work, for now anyway.  I did have a dream about driving in a snowstorm and being late because I couldn't see a thing on the road. It seemed so real!

Bill, I have no idea how you do a L.T. test, but it is interesting to see the results.  I know that it is hard for me to get my heart rate up on my bicycle.

Wildchild - I have heard that tomato juice is a good to take the skunk stink out, or you could let her swim in our lake, then she'd smell worse than skunk.  Maybe Econo would take her on the relay?

TomS - Have fun on your vacation and say hi to your brother, Dave.  He may remember some of us from Omaha in September, 2005.  That was the first meetup from the old Boomers & Beyond forum on Cool Running.  Does anyone still have their shirt?  I don't think I've ever worn mine since.

Ribs - I'm sorry about the loss of your BIL, he did sound like a superb man and athlete.

Anyway, I have been lurking a bit here this week.  We had a camping trip over the weekend to unpack from and now leave again tomorrow for 1 year old granddaughter's birthday party.  I have a lot to do before we leave, but hope to get out for a run tonight, maybe even under the full moon.  I actually ran around the lake on Monday and Tuesday even though it was super hot out.  Last night was 16 1/2 miles on the bike, not super fast, but I ended up super sweaty. I think I'd like to do the TRAM bike ride sometime, maybe next year.  This year it was up in northern Minnesota.  I think RAGBRAI is a bit harder and more of a party crowd, but we'll have to ask......(I can't remember his name).

Good running everyone,

Starr in MN

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich