Masters Running

40s On the Run - Week of 09/28/08 - Friends Make Life a Lot More Fun (Read 520 times)

Hmmm......maybe I'll have a few beers tonight and by the end of the night I just might sign up for that HM after all! Nice hearing from you Kelly, hope things get straightened up soon for ya! You realy killed it out there with that 100-miler. Jim, A run is a run is a run. Way to get out there. Good luck tomorrow Lynda! Have fun! Leslie, your a trip. Glad you made it to the gym on time. Good thing you said P-L-E-A-S-E to the nice lady! Way to go Joe on the 15-miler! I am cleaning house and decorating for Fall. I think Cindy's picture helped just a tad. Have a super evening everyone.......Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
      Jewels - JUST DO IT! GO FOR IT!! YOU'LL DO GREAT!!! I heard something on Phedippidations this morning - (to paraphrase) The difference between a runner and a jogger is the entry form. As a runner, you should challenge yourself with the competition . . . or something like that, but I liked the thought being conveyed. So sign up for that HM! You know we'll all be there on the sidelines cheering you on at each mile. For about the last week or so, I've been experiencing headaches in the mid to late afternoons and am trying to determine if it's work related (ha! of course it is!), lack of food throughout the day after workouts - even though I think I eat enough - or what. Anybody else experience anything like this? I don't drink a lot of coffee, just about 16 oz of half caf/half reg in the a.m. with my bagel and cc. Sometimes I'll munch on a second bagel about mid morning if I'm hungry or some fruit. Lunch usually consists of either leftovers from the night before, or a sandwich, fruit, carrots . . . okay, a few chips, too. Mid afternoon, I try to get some more fruit in me - or something. And I'm drinking water throughout the day. It's hard for me to keep munching through the day, because I'm not hungry. However, after experiencing day after day of crashing around 3:00, I figured I needed to get more nutrition in me at that point. I also know it doesn't help that I'm up at 4:30/5:00, but nothing can be done about that. Haven't had an eye exam in a number of years, so that probably needs to be on the agenda here soon, but thought I'd ask if any of you have experienced anything like this.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Leslie: write it down & look & the total composition of what you're eating....w/your training level... you maybe need a little more am protein, complex carbs, something isn't balanced quite right...or maybe you really really need that pm hot fudge sundae! Evil grin (or more sleep! us old farts do ya know!) Hey Kelly!!! {{{calling off the Nat'l Grd}}} good to hear from you! Jim: I agree, a run is a run! s'posed to be takin' care 'o you!!! Tell Lynda GOOD LUCK! & Have fun! Wink ~ I'm doing the Komen RFTC here on Sunday... WTG on your 15 miler Joe! gonna see if I can drag my happy butt through 10 in the am....Hey! but at least my house is somewhat clean now Roll eyes & there's banana bread cooling on the counter....taper? what taper?? Pic is Uncle's neighbor in MN....near the orchards so have cider now.....mmmmm, hard cider!! Evil grin PS: Doug has just upgraded his Denver HM to the Full on the 19th....
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

driver - C'mon aboard! We'll all catch up to you! Smile Cindy - nice pic, just looking at it made me feel cooler! I'll bet Mairead loves running with you in your nice fall weather. Jim - at least you're still able to get out there - you probably won't lose much fitness if you don't have to lay off completely. Jewels - YEAH!! You can do it! Especially with things cooling down for you. Kelly - bummer about the IT band, hope it settles down for you quickly. Leslie - the only times in my life (twice now) that I've had headaches have been times of either stress or just me being unhappy. But I've been told that caffeine or alcohol can do it as well, maybe you can do an experiment on yourself? Joe - woohoo, keepin' it up, lookin' strong! Yesterday's 10 mi run turned into 11, just to do it. Took in about 14 oz of gatorade endurance during that time and a little plain water. No problems whatsoever, not even a hint of dizziness. But now my doctor pals have all said I should get a cardio workup consisting of an EKG and echocardiogram. OK,yeah yeah yeah, but what a time suck - so now I have an appointment with my primary doc, and then I have to get a referral for a cardio doc...I'm sure you all know the routine. OTOH, I thought, oooooh, I wonder if they could do a stress test at the same time, so I could get a good max hr. Maybe other useful information? Could end up being sorta fun... Arla

Ex runner

Arla--I replied to you on the Health forum. It's good to have the tests done (unless insurance won't pay...) and know where you stand. When it comes to health, we're REALLY an experiment of one. Good luck. Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

7 miles this morning. Longest I've done in a long, long time. Got a tiny blister from my new shoes. Undecided Didn't go as well as Thursdays run but I was finishing up my Thursday run by 8 a.m. whereas today I was just getting going with the run by 8 a.m. So it was quite a bit warmer, probably around 80, with about 70% humidity. So I was slow goin'... I'm still happy I made it. I drove to the park for this run, I think that's what got me thru it, different scenary and all. Saw a gator in the lake and as I rounded a corner a deer bolted across the path and into the woods. Startled me for a second there..... Arla, yep, it is a time suck but just go for it. Peace of mind ya know..... Jewels

Queen of 3rd Place

Jewels! Humidity and heat and gators, oh my! Tim - thanks for the kind words...and thank goodness for good insurance! Smile Days are getting short, and I'm facing a new challenge, which is running in the dark...all the uneven sidewalks and such really force you to slow down. I have an LED headlamp that I'm going to try, anyone else run in the dark? Oh and YAY!! It's cool and drizzly! Plan to grade some papers & such, then do an easy 3, looking forward to that! Arla

Ex runner

Howdy 40's, 50's on up peeps Smile. AADriver, I remember you from CoolRunning. You're one of the original 40's gang. Good to see you! Running stops the aging clock so we're forever 40's, right? Wohoo, Jewels...way to go on that hot, steamy, gator chasin', deer startlin' 7 miler Smile. You're doing great. Now have some beer tonight and sign up for that half! Arla, please listen to your doctor buddies. Hate to tell ya' but the stress test isn't all that stressful. Had one a few years ago and barely broke a sweat. They may want you to do the "nuclear" stress test instead. So I wouldn't count on it to replace any of your training miles. Joe, sounds like you're still getting in those miles. 15, woohoo...good going Smile How's Buddy? Jim, glad the achilles is not worsening. Good for you for being careful with it. Running is fun, walking is necessary! Cindy, I'm lovin' the fall pics, and your marathon's right around the corner! Leslie, don't know if what you listed is typical, but seems like a pretty high % of carbs, some of them really quick acting (like bagels). Very likely that you could be spiking your blood sugar shortly after eathing them, and then crashing a bit later...google reactive hypoglycemia if you think that's a possibility. If you know anyone with a blood sugar monitor you could borrow, you could verify whether that's the problem. And Cindy is right on the sleep...I don't know how you do it....one or two nights of not much, and I turn into a zombie with an attitude! Kelly, glad you're back! Sending healing vibes your way. Maybe Cindy can pay you a visit Smile. Just got back from running an impromptu 5K Shocked. Was planning to do a shorter, faster run today anyway since I haven't been doing much of that, and have the Komen 5K on the calendar in a couple of weeks. Figured it would be more fun to run with a thousand or so other people, so yesterday I signed up for the Vineyard Run 5K. Start/Finish is only about a mile from our house. Several years ago, I had started a tradition at my previous employer of having the wellness group I led run or walk this race. So off to the races I went this morning, with hubby coming to be my coach Smile. Ran into some of my old work crew, and nice to see them carrying on the tradition. They asked me to be in their team photo, even though I voted myself off that island over a year ago. Talked to the owner/ceo who was my running buddy when we were training for a half last year, as well as my old boss/coo and his wife, who I still pet sit for now and then. Visiting...nice....race....not so nice. Forgot about those *&(^%$@ hills! Started out too fast for my own good, and walked most of those suckers. Finished in 29:50 and splits were about as far from negative as you can get 8:32, 9:35, 10:34. They had free wine tasting afterwards, but the little thimble full of "Sweet Texas Red" I tasted was not enough to wash away those splits. Oh well, it was fun, and accomplished the goal of a little faster shorter run for today. Also learned that I could walk 1/2 mile of a 5K and still finish under 30:00 which is kind of Cry and Cool at the same time. Hubby is doing better after visiting the doc and getting on a course of steriods. Funny, he told the doc that his wife's internet running buddies had suggested that it was piriformis related. The doc said you should not listen to people on the internet Roll eyes. Then, after examining him, she came back with the diagnosis of piriformis inflammation impinging on sciatic nerve Tongue. She at least admitted that this time the internet buddies were right! Cindy, I went after him a bit with my elbow (he wouldn't go for a knee in the butt), and he is also doing some stretches. Haven't got him sold on the tennis ball, but he has agreed to try one of my 20 minute yoga tapes. Well, that's a book...so I'll sign off. Hope you guys are having a great weekend!
                  Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Hoooo! Just got back from the TNT group run...10 pretty slow~high heart rate~sucky miles Dead ...nose kept running, minor cough, low on energy, hip still a little gimpy, & just generally felt like I was trying too hard to breathe Tongue had to walk some...but hey! I made my 10! and then Mairead ambushed me when I got back into the house Roll eyes she still wants her run! I have created a monster! Big grin getting close to a year since we got her Smile Arla: I agree, since you have the ins. ~ best to just find out. & one of my books was talking about the inaccuracy of various MHR formulae...suggested a better way is to do a good warm up & then basically run full out for a mile or so to get max heart rate read...?? Could be fun! .... & I don't know for sure, but I'm planning on some dark runs in the upcoming mos....got a headlamp & will start w/weak light running - just to "acclimate" Doug IS running pre-dawn these days - w/o the headlamp...staying in the neighborhood, but has moved onto the street, which has fewer irregularities than the sidewalk....I'm going to pick up a reflective vest for him! & here's "cooler for ya"...first Winter Weather Advisory for the western slopes this afternoon & eve....strong cold front w/snow moving through the Rockies - expecting possibility of up to 10" snow in the Vail area.....cool wind blowing the leaves around down here just now...20-25mph gusts Carol: Yep, two weeks!!! Shocked I am SOOO not ready! Undecided past coupla months have been anything but smooth w/my training..& now I'm trying to shake this cold & gimpy hip loose....guess I'm on "plan B"....pack my ipod & butterscotch candies & camera & just enjoy the scenery & race vibe/crowd Wink well, I'll decide that in 2 wks!.......Funny about the Dr! You should've said, "depends on whom your asking what question!" Yes, when you throw a question out there, you're likely to get a lot of novice speculation & some pretty weird advice... BUT! there are also lots of "fields of expertise" represented in here...I would totally trust your accounting advice, Jim's farming advice, Joe's IT advice, Kelly's coaching, etc....& throughout some other threads in here in RA, we have Dr's, Lawers, Engineers, Teckkies, Race Directors, Coaches, Marathon Maniacs, SAHM's, etc., etc., etc take what you can use & leave the rest.....the piriformis issues are something that I pretty commonly deal with in my clients...while you've got your elbow in there (I'm assuming that he's face down)... 1st, take ahold of his ankle on the same leg as you're working on & bring his leg up to a 90* angle, now lay it back across the other leg - kinda like a figure 4 - then dig your knuckles (keeping your wrist straight) or elbow into that 'spot' quite firmly, while holding that, now bring that bent leg towards you slowly - kinda like a slot machine arm - repeat - this will "pin & stretch" that piriformis a bit... another thing, watch him walk - how laterally rotated are his feet? (do his toes point pretty straight ahead or more towards the side?) If his toes are pointing more sideways, he's most likely got some tight lateral muscles going on too - common combo - yoga, stretching & massage will help lots w/that as well as asking him to pay attention for a coupla wks to how he's planting his feet when he walks & runs....If we ever manage a get-together, I'm gonna have to bring my supplies, huh?! Kelly: I have an awesome idea! Trade some body work for coaching! You're another one I'd be using hot rocks on! Wink Jewels: alligator sightings could = fartlek training Big grin or max heart rate testing!! Congrats on the 7...SEEEE! you're gonna be soooo ready for a HM!!! & Sooner than you think! where is the blister & could it be your lacing, your socks or maybe you need some body glide on your toes? don't condem the shoes till you've checked out what could be causing it - mine is always the socks and/or how I tied my shoes!....then again, it could be the shoes~ No Leslie: with some of your "digestive" issues, I'm almost surprised that you haven't added a Registered Dietician to you list of "friends!" Just a thought....could be the answer to all of your remaining "issues" Wink Hey Tim! Exactly! Gawd I'm gabby today!! But I gotta go for now.... Ciao! Cindy
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      The gator sightings are frequent. Where there's a body of water, there's a gator. Still don't like 'em, I just steer clear. The deer is what I was excited about. Hmmmm......I did use my daughters socks this morning and they did have a different seam along the toes. Hope that is it. If not, nothing a little band-aid won't cure. Carol, nice 5k you had there. Doggone hill......glad the hub is doing better. Crappy 10 or not Cindy, you got it done. Is your race coming up the one that Doug changed from a half to a full, or is that a different race? Jewels

flatland mountaineer

Just back from Lynda's race so will keep this short, mta sorta. I'm not much of a spectator so it was agreed I could race ONLY if I stayed with her and I could use my Garmin to pace her and she could use her "pace" to keep me in check. This was a Breast Cancer awareness race with lots of walkers but only 20 runners, which around here fewer runners means only the serious ones show up. Determined to erase the bad memories from her last 5k we had a plan to run steady 10:30's and push it at the end if she was up to it. At the gun the pack went out hard, I looked down and we were running 8:30 and getting left in the dust, so I slowed us up to 10+ and tried to hold 10:30ish until the end. We were at 10:47 at the 2 miles so I started to inch out ahead and ran low 10's to see how she would do and we started passing a few of the rabbits. Holding in pretty good she informed me she wasn't ready to "kick". With a half mile to go I couldn't resist the urge to sprint 40 yards or so, Bad Jim Evil grin, then ran back to her. With .1 to go she took off and ran a 9:30 all the way to the finish. Lynda finished @ 32:52 a new pr by 29 seconds Big grin, I was right behind her no pr but lived to run another day and didn't fire the achilles. On a related note a pretty good 50's AG runner Lady went out hard and blew her achilles in the first half, not good and a good lesson for me. I am guessing Lynda probably went out 8ish on her bad race and it just killed the whole race plus now she has had some really good mileage weeks and a couple of 8 milers. Arla might as well go for it, maybe get some good max HR data if they can turbo the old treadmill enough to give you a workout and then the piece of mind thing. I use a headlamp quite a bit, mine is a Black Diamond, Lynda has a Petzll both are good. Sure helps to keep from twisting an ankle in a pothole, and yes do a hi vis reflective vest also. Leslie I think I am part Hobbitt because I eat a second breakfast about the time mkts open at 8:30 when I get up really early, and also eat a bite @ 4pm, really helps my work performance and I feel better and are not so hungry when we eat late suppers that I overeat. Might help, I dunno? Kudos to Doug for signing up for the full, he has done very well, but has done the roadwork, he has earned it! Hope you kick that bug out Cindy and the old hip straightens up, from what I have read most 1st time marathoners don't get thru training without some glitches so stay confident. OH and did run by an MT office at the race in Imperial (next town south) today Jewels Nice Run!! Alligator fartlek, Smile with credit to Carol for coining the term, I like that. Carol walked part and still sub 30 WTG!! Sounds like you did what Lynda did her previous race, you gals get your pacing figured out and look out! Joe hope you have a good weekend and good runs if thats whats on the schedule. Tim have a good trip. MTA by Lynda - the real reason that Jim did not have that much trouble staying back with me might have been the "shapely", 20-something, nice, young lady that stayed just ahead of us until the very end.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey Guys - Everyone seems to be doing fairly well. Smile Jim - Congrats to Lynda! She is becoming quite the runner. Pretty soon she might be leavin' you in the dust. Wink Cindy - Hang in there, girlfriend. While I'm sitting her typing this, I have ice bags on my shins. (((sigh))) Never had to deal with this until I started running more. Evil grin Arla - Go for the test. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I run in the dark during the week and use a headlamp and reflector vest. Are you running on sidewalks?!?!? If so, girlfriend, you gotta get off of them. They are terrible for you. (I'm done with my lecture.) Carol - Good for you going for the run at the last minute! Jewels - You signed up for that HM, right? RIGHT?? Did my last long run today and had a Rottweiler scare the crappola out of me. I've seen him at this house a couple of times, but I always thought he had one of those radio collars around his neck that kept him in the yard. Uh, no. He actually came out of his yard this time, and stood giving me that "look" after emitting a low throated bark and growl. I don't think my "Stay!" impressed him much, so I slowly started backing up, retracing my steps. My goal this morning was to keep it slow and easy and try to find a pace I felt I could keep up for a long period. It went really, really well. For the first time in awhile, I felt like I got into a zone. Besides the dog, the only other negative was coming upon a possum that hadn't been dead for a short time. PEE-UU!! Ugh! Slept in 'til after 9:00 this a.m., so got a late start. But the sleep sure felt good! Re the headaches and sleepiness, I don't think I'm eating enough, even though I'm not getting hungry. So I think I'm going to start trying to eat smaller amounts a little more often and see if that helps. Re the indigestion - I've always had stomach problems. I just think my stomach doesn't like have food on it all day and then running. I rarely have trouble in the a.m. Persnickity, huh? Have a great weekend!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

MTA by Lynda - the real reason that Jim did not have that much trouble staying back with me might have been the "shapely", 20-something, nice, young lady that stayed just ahead of us until the very end.
                            A faster 20-something & you mighta had "problems" Big grin
                            While I'm sitting her typing this, I have ice bags on my shins. (((sigh))) Never had to deal with this until I started running more.
                            What's going on Leslie? Are you doing something different, like perhaps have you changed your gate? & what does your MAT guy say? Need some helpful exercises? Off to the Komen RFTC here in a few.....gonna go chase 60,000 of my "closest" friends Big grin

Queen of 3rd Place

Jewels - I would be less than thrilled to see 'gators on my route, my mom used to tell us a story about a gator charging out of the water, bellowing - I wonder if it had a nest, or maybe mom was exaggerating...anyway, those tales you hear as a kid can get you! Carol - WOW, nice time for walking the hills! Shocked Cindy - sounds like taper madness to me! Wink Farmer Lynda - next time, find your own cutie-pie to inspire you. Evil grin Great job, BTW, it's hard to figure out the right pace for a 5K, I'm betting you're gonna see a lot more PRs in the near future. Leslie - shins??? What's up? That sounds awful! *hugs* My running partner blew me off today, wants to do our 8 miler tomorrow am, well ok, fine, but I'm gonna do 6 - 8 on my own today, hopefully that won't ruin tomorrow's run, but I really want to enjoy this cooler weather. Got some bread in the breadmachine (Sennebec Hill Bread from Beth Hensberger's Bread Machine book - my favorite recipe so far from her book) to munch on when I return. Yes Arla

Ex runner