Masters Running

Sunday, August 17 - Runs and what not (Read 447 times)

Susan, how long are you in Sweden? Is that a family connection that keeps taking you back there? Or business? Sounds wonderful, my dad's family is from southern Sweden.
    a total of 9 weeks; we have almost 3 weeks left, returning to seattle on sept 4, in time to run the 5k at green lake with fjorddaughter on sept 7. it's family connection (DH's, not mine); we have a house on the west coast of sweden, where my mother-in-law was born (she passed away here in 1990). and it's business, almost all of my translation clients are here. the best part is that the kids (grown, 20s and 30s) come and spend a few weeks so that we get to enjoy their company "like the old days". susan
    Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Jon, You got home faster than me!!! It was a lot of fun despite the sauna like experience .Very good timimg indeed that allowed us not only to meet up before the race (thanks to Rod misreadng the directions) but also run and almost finish together! so..26.22 miles today with several walking breaks on trail at the Light at the end of the tunnel marathon in 4:22ish... (Running through the muggy tunnel was definitely worth the experience!) Next marathon a week from today.. Good runs everybody and sorry for appearing so seldomly these days. Francesca
      Mariposai

Francesca you are amazing...a marathon this weekend and another one next weekend. Wow. I am glad to hear that you had such a good time. One of this days I hope to run a marathon with you. 3 eze miles for me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I hear Deena has a broken bone in her foot. Sad
          I just found a story to that effect, thanks--isn't that just yuccky? Those elites train at such an edge. I can't imagine (well, maybe I can, but I cannot realize what it is like to run with their speed) going full tilt and then having something like a broken bone stop you and prevent you from realizing your dreams, all you've sacrificed and trained for....it's just hard, isn't it? Cry Holly! We will so not take advantage of your most kind offer, but DH is most excited--we'll stay at a hotel but let's make it happen--it is close to you?? That would be so grand to anticipate, do let me know if you are for real! (One year, I gave him a few flying lessons for the holidays--he was enthralled! This would be so huge!) Red Sox need to oil thier bats. Or something. grins, A OK, I've been up since before 4 as my race started at 6 Sleepy Sleepy Sleepy--god bless us everyone!
          Masters 2000 miles
          dg.

Dg - duct tape loaded, I'll be there in a few hours. Big grin Hide any ice cream you have in the house...
            Not a problem. I ate it all. Thought I'd better take care of the wine too. ... and the chocolate. ... better go look & see if there's anything else. Smile Aamos, very nice 26.2 with negative splits!! How is Heartboy? I was thinking the same thing about Deena, and others. Didn't someone hurt their knee on the bus? congratulations also to Francesca & Tet. Larry, hoping it's just a one day thing for you. Erika, how did your run turn out?
            munchkn883

6 miles for me early this evening. Lots of hills...felt GREAT!!

Maniac 505

I just found a story to that effect, thanks--isn't that just yuccky? Those elites train at such an edge. I can't imagine (well, maybe I can, but I cannot realize what it is like to run with their speed) going full tilt and then having something like a broken bone stop you and prevent you from realizing your dreams, all you've sacrificed and trained for....it's just hard, isn't it? Cry
                I know well what it is like when something like that happens to us mortals, it hurts a lot, much deeper then the physical pain. I too can't really imagine what it is like for someone at her level. but I bet all the elites are training right on the edge of injuries. I read that Deena said, something like, sometimes you have good days, sometimes you have bad days. unfortunately, you can't pick which are which. Amy, congrats at leading ladies. you continue to amaze me, maybe someday you will slow down enough that we can run together for more than a mile or two (of course don't be in any hurry to slow down a little) And if Heart boy is interested in the air force museum, has he checked out the Boeing museum of flight? he could spend lots of time there, while you are running Rock and Roll Seattle, or one of our other marathons. Dave

Renee the dog

Just returned from a 7 miler with my babysitter -- her friends are returning to college so she has time on her hands. She also felt like I'd need it after visiting my Dad today, which of course, I did need. Dad is status quo for now. Our run started with a beautiful apricot and baby blue sky for sunset and ended with a spooky moon rising over the ocean and through the clouds. Wish I could paint. Night all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Nono, that sounds like a beautiful run, just what you needed after that visit with your dad. Holly, congrats on being able to run again. That's worth celebrating! Dark Horse, welcome back! We've missed your sense of humor. Maine, nice race, and so cool you got to meet Deez4boys. Did you take any pictures? And speaking of pictures, Mr. Spareribs, did you take any of you and CNYrunner's historic meeting? The rain finally stopped so I got out for 6 miles at a slow 12 minute pace. Cool and cloudy, 52 degrees at noon. The dogs came along for the first 4. Lots of breaks for wild raspberries. When the clouds lifted, I could see new snow on the divide! Hey, where's Tallrunner?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

...As I ran past, she handed off the leash in perfect relay fashion and we ran it home. Closest I'll come to a relay race Smile
                      Confused And, so... what was van 1... chopped liver? Hmph. Deb... run went pretty well. Foot was ok throughout. I tried a wave run today... I dunno... need Spareribs to comment on it I guess. Like Bruce, I deal with a lot of hills and elevation changes. I posted detail in my log at http://www.runningahead.com/logs/d000225b7e3c4a309e32e5624d04892f/workouts/8234ba45a33047b595d18b71ade0a700 if you care to see all the splits. Basically, when I should've been cruising into half marathon pace I dealt with everything from crowds of kids on bikes (looked like a Sunday School or Youth Group outing, just kept on coming) and mud that I slipped in pretty bad. Took several breaks where I turned off my Garmin and walked loops, or got a drink (stopped at my parents at mile 7 for water, bathroom and chat break). I wouldn't do that in a regular race, of course, but felt it ok to do here. Honestly, I had to stop and check my Garmin a couple times to see what paces I'd done, and figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I really need to write it out ahead of time and check it during the run because I really do lose track of what I'm supposed to be doing. Maybe this is why the wave run examples are 14 miles instead of 20? I have a hard time running and keeping track of the plan at the same time... Hey Steve, after finishing this run, having about 10 oz of water at my parents house and a full liter of water plus about 8 oz of some juice drink DH had... I was still down over 4 lbs when I got home. I was crusty salty all over!