Masters Running

Disney World runners - Good Luck! and some Comments ... (Read 480 times)

I see from Ilene's Intrepid Racer's thread that there are a bunch of you running Disney this weekend - either the Half, the Full, or the Goofy Challenge (both!) for those of you who are Goofy. Wink Having run the Disney full last January, I'd like to pass along my Best Wishes and a few comments that hopefully help in some small way. If anyone else has any other comments/suggestions, please add them too! 1. This is Florida. Watch the weather forecast closely and take it into account. Even in January, any weather is possible from the 30's to the 80's. Be cautious if it's on the warmer end of that spectrum. You may not be used to the warmth if you are from elsewhere. 2. The Disney marathon starts early to account for possible warm weather and they want you there even earlier (4:00 AM). The resort buses are efficient and plentiful, the staging area is large and has many port-a-potties so that won't be a problem. But it is paved and you may be tired. Bring a air mattress or something else to lay/sit on. A garbage bag filled with newspapers worked well for me. 3. Disney is a destination race. There are many slower runners who are only there for the vacation and not to run fast (NTTAWWT). Use the assigned corral that matches your anticipated finish time. You don'w want to get behind the slower crowd. 4. Enjoy yourself! Running Disney is a blast. Running through the various theme parks is wonderful, especially running down Main Street and through Cinderella's Castle. The crowd support in the parks will be very good but sparse elsewhere. You will see every Disney character imaginable at some point. High Five your favorites. 5. The roads between the theme parks are mostly flat and somewhat boring (though I didn't mind them) with little, if any crowd support. There is a particularly long stretch from about mile 12 till the Animal Kingdom (mile 18ish? Check the course map) where there is nothing to see but roads, trees, etc. Settle in, concentrate on your running form, and cruise. It'll pass. 6. There is the infamous Disney waste disposal plant somewhere along this last stretch I mentioned. It's not as bad as you might think. Smile and remember that none of the visitors get to see this except you. 7. There is a hill at about mile 21 that is really an interchange between the road you were on and the road you're going to. It's not so bad really, but be aware of it. There is another small incline entering MGM that got me a bit last year (but remember I'm a flatlander). 8. The finishers medals are really cool. Mickey for the Full, Donald for the Half, and an additional Goofy for you Goofy people. If you have children with you, you may have to share yours! Big grin Best of Luck! We'll be anxiously awaiting your RR's. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SteveP

5. The roads between the theme parks are mostly flat and somewhat boring (though I didn't mind them) with little, if any crowd support. There is a particularly long stretch from about mile 12 till the Animal Kingdom (mile 18ish? Check the course map) where there is nothing to see but roads, trees, etc. Settle in, concentrate on your running form, and cruise. It'll pass. Best of Luck! We'll be anxiously awaiting your RR's. Bill
      I love the smell of lion dung in the morning.....It smells like ...victory.

SteveP

I was hoping for a bat exhibit; not lion dung Wink ksrunr

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

50 halfs by age 50

Frankly, I'm scared to death Shocked This is my first full. I've done the Disney half 2 years in a row, but either the distance or the taper madness is really starting to get to me! Do you think the tigers at Animal Kingdom can smell fear? Wink

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

bap

I love the smell of lion dung in the morning.....It smells like ...victory.
            Its probably plastic (not a Disney fan). Re the corrals, I was in the front corral on the right-hand side of the highway. You don't need to be there that early. I jumped out of the corral about 10 minutes before the start to take a pee and jumped straight back in at the front. It took me 6 seconds to cross the starting line. A friend in the same corral got there about ten till. He was sheltering from the cold in his car. He's from Michigan Surprised ). I was the mug standing around in shorts and t-shirt for an hour in 35 degrees. It is a long long walk from the staging area to the start, maybe 15 minutes. Remember also that this is probably the slowest flat marathon in the world in terms of average finishing time (5:13:36 in 2007), so don't get stuck at the back. In 2006 I ran 3:48:52 and I was 944/10,156!!

Certified Running Coach
            Crocked since 2013

Chimera, you are going to do great! Don't forget to post on the 40's thread and let us all know how you did and we LOVE details. Good Luck to you and everyone..........Jewels p.s. What part of Floirda are you in?
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

50 halfs by age 50

Chimera, you are going to do great! Don't forget to post on the 40's thread and let us all know how you did and we LOVE details. Good Luck to you and everyone..........Jewels p.s. What part of Floirda are you in?
                Thanks! I'm in Sarasota, how 'bout you?

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Chimera, I am in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area! It is probably gonna feel cool at the start of the race, BUT..... you know it is going to be mid to high 70's by noonish so don't overdress. Hey, you live in Florida, I don't need to remind you of that. Again, good luck! Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                    Good Luck to everyone. I live close to Disney & have been watching the weather all week and thinking of all of you. I'm anxious to read the reports. Vicki
                    pfriese

Thanks for all of the info and tips, Bill. I'm not too worried about the weather, but will take it easier if it gets very warm. I'm mainly running this for fun, I plan on stopping and getting pictures with characters and such; no time pressures whatsoever. Paul
                        Paul, that is a great way to approach thsi one. You can choose between Snow White or Cruela DeVille ... depending on your personal preferences. Evil grin Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

pegruns

chimera I'm in sarasota too!! I'm doing the 1/2 at disney this weekend.. good luck1

50 halfs by age 50

chimera I'm in sarasota too!! I'm doing the 1/2 at disney this weekend.. good luck1
                            Hey Neighbor! Good luck to you! DH is running the half, so I'll be cheering. Just look for the fluorescent yellow/green W.I.S.H team shirts...I'll prolly be around TTC, Grand Floridian and the finish. Are you doing the Sarasota half or full this year?

thanks for the tips Breger!! i'm running the 1/2 on saturday - are you saying i really don't need to be there at 4am.........i'm staying close to the start at the Dolphin good luck everyone racing this weekend!! we're leaving Mass. and heading down to Disney in the morning - can't wait!! bringing the laptop so i can stay in touch!!

denise

Breger, We are staying at one of the hotels over by the baseball field. I can't tell from the map how far that is. Our shuttles start leaving by 3:00. Is it close enough to walk and leave later? I just looked; I'm staying at the Pops resort area. ksrunr

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10