Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 1/5/14 (Read 19 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run 40 miles/week or more. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard...

Here’s what I have for last week’s tally. Some great running going on!

Who

Miles

Commentary

IBleedUnionBlue

New annual record – well done!

C-R

Nice week!

SubDood

Several records broken this month – well done!

Alexander

Continued high mileage – well done!

Shipo

New annual record – well done!

Opie

Highest week this year!

Mike E

Mike – I cut and paste here from a Word table I have on my computer.

Holly

First time in the 50s for some time

Orange Mat

Close enough

Here’s my tentative plan for the week.

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

0-3 miles

0 miles

Weights and core

Tuesday

4-6 miles

6 miles

Easy pace

Wednesday

10-12 miles

12 miles

MLR

Thursday

4-6 miles

2 miles

Plus weights and core

Friday

0-3 miles

4.5 miles

Easy pace

Saturday

4-6 miles

7 miles

Easy pace

Sunday

12-16 miles

15 miles

Long run

Total

46.5 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Latent Runner

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

8 miles

0 miles

Wasn't going to happen today; I went out to the snowmobile trail and managed maybe one tenth of a mile before I turned around and gently walked back to my car.  Why?  ICE!  Scary stuff. 

Tuesday

8 miles

0 miles

What can I say, two days in a row with no running, but hey, I am racing tomorrow.  Smile 

Wednesday

8 miles

4 miles

I ran a 2+ mile warm up, a 1 mile race, and then 1 mile back to the starting line.  Today was my first 1 mile race since 1975; my 5:50 didn't even come close to PR territory.  Smile 

Thursday

0 miles

5 miles

01-Jan-2014; I'm editing Thursday's and Friday's plans, we're expecting roughly a foot of snow to fall tomorrow into Friday morning.

02-Jan-2014; wouldn't you know it, on a day when I wasn't thinking I'd be able to get out, I went for a five mile snowshoe run.  Go figure. 

Friday

0 miles

0 miles

Work, lots of snow, sub-zero cold, and no run.  Grrr!

Saturday

8 miles

10 miles

Ran my "normal" 10-mile route on the snowmobile trail, however, there was nothing "normal" about this run.  The snow was firm(ish) when I'd land, but as my body crossed in front of my planted foot, the snow would start to mush and my foot would shoot out behind me without providing much of a forward assist.  Sad 

Sunday

8 miles

6.6 miles

My legs were too exhausted to do yet another day in the mushy trail snow; managed only a mile before heading out onto the roads. 

Total

40 miles 

25.6 miles

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

MM #7877

I'm in. Gotta start the new year off right.

Ended 2013 with 30 consecutive 40x40 weeks. Oddly enough, my only other 40 mile week was the 1st week of 2013.  Will also end 2013 with over 2500 miles. That is an all-time high which exceeds 2008's 2377 miles. The start of the year was 506 miles through May 31st. So that means I ran 2000 miles in the final 7 months of the year.

M - 9.5 TM miles. Experimenting relationship between speed and HR bpm.

T - 10.6 miles. 8:08 pace.

W - 7.3 m. A.M. Recovery pace jog.

W - 7.3 m. P.M. run.

T - 3 m. TM A.M.

T - 10 m. 1 wu. Then 9 m at 8:05 pace or better.

F - 3 m. Needed to take a rest day. Tired & sluggish.

S - 12 m. 9:10 pace.

S - 7 m.

S - 6 m. 8:40 pace.

Total - 75.7 miles for the week.

Philippians 4:13.

Latent Runner

Will also end 2013 with over 2500 miles. That is an all-time high which exceeds 2008's 2377 miles. The start of the year was 506 miles through May 31st. So that means I ran 2000 miles in the final 7 months of the year.

I was in the same boat this year (just fewer miles).  I ran a whopping 329 miles between January and June, I've logged nearly 1,400 since July.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
          SubDood

Thanks, Holly! I'm in.

Week 9 of 10-week base-building phase (phase 1 of 5, leading up to Boston in April):

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

13.5 miles

13.3 mi aerobic (~8:20), treadmill

Tuesday

9.0 miles

8.9 mi easy fartlek on TM

Wednesday

15.0 miles

14.5 mi Polar Dash 14 Mile Race (forecast -5 actual -8 deg F at start time)

Thursday

5.5 miles

5.8 mi jog (~9:30 10:15 pace) on TM

Friday

11.5 miles

11.8 mi out-n-back (~7:42 pace) on TM

Saturday

18.5 miles

19.5 mi long run (~8:10 8:30 pace), almost 3 hours on TM!

Sunday

8.0 miles

7.8 mi aerobic/jog (~10:00 pace) on TM

Total

81.0 miles

81.6 miles

Week 9 -- 81.6 miles

More than 2,620 miles for 2013, more than 300 miles in December, current streak at 78 days (as of 12/30/13). 2013 was a great year -- I hate to see it end!

C-R

Thanks Holly. Once more into the breach.

MTA - 42.8 and a new PR in shoveling the drive in one day - 6

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM #7877

I was in the same boat this year (just fewer miles).  I ran a whopping 329 miles between January and June, I've logged nearly 1,400 since July.  Smile

We must've caught the same bug / inspiration.

Philippians 4:13.

Caught the bunny!  I have a variety of logs over the last 11 years and don't know if I've run 2,000 miles in a year before.  It would be nice to compile my logs but haven't gotten to it yet.  The ones from the old Cool Running days are gone, though.  I would be surprised if I ever did the 2,000, though, given my injury history.  This year has been pretty awesome in that department, with only a minor setback in the summer.

Now it's time to incorporate some tougher workouts with the solid base I have to prepare for the marathon 2/23.

Monday..............Yasso 800 workout.........................................done-7.9 miles

Tuesday.............6.2 miles easy.................................................done-6.2

Wednesday........10 miles easy....................done, with a few faster bits-10

Thursday............7 miles easy............................................mostly done-6.6

Friday.................6 miles easy.......................................................done-6.4

Saturday.............15 miles with the middle @MP..........................done-15

Sunday................Rest..................................................................done

Total....................52 miles...........................................................done-52

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mike E

MM #5615

Day

Plan Actual Comment
                    Monday   6    Easy  11.0 1:21:57 (including 6 x 1.5 @ 6:40 pace) + Back Extensions + Calf Raises + Crunches and Stretches
                    Tuesday 10.5 (6 Strength)    0 Just some Triceps Extension and Lateral Raises
                    Wednesday         Rest  10.0  1:19:00 + pushups, arm swings, stretches, and crunches
                    Thursday 12   (9 Tempo)     10.0   1:22:21 + squats, stretches, and crunches
                    Friday   6    Easy    0  No run--just some pushups, arm swings, and crunches.  Holly--I can't seem to stop these "challenge" exercises...
                    Saturday 10    Easy    5  Includes a 5k race in 19:12--pretty snowy roads + squats, crunches, and stretches
                    Sunday 10    Easy  10.0  1:22:15 + pushups, crunches, and stretches
                    Total 54.5  46.0  

Well...I obviously do not know how to work this thing anymore...but this is my schedule for the week.  I won't be following it, though, because I want to do a race on Saturday.  We'll see how it shakes out.

Oh...thanks Holly!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Finally home from vacation, so I can try to post for real here... thanks! 

day plan actual comments
                      Monday 10 aerobic 10 miles 10:11 avg pace
                      Tuesday rest (travel day) rest  
                      Wednesday 5k (9 total) 8.8 miles 5k in 24:42 (official), 24:29 (Garmin)
                      Thursday 5 recovery, core class 16 long run 16 miles 10:46 avg pace; impending snowstorm for Friday changed the plan
                      Friday 13 long (8 @MP) rest rest  
                      Saturday 3 recovery, core class 3 miles, core class 11:38 avg pace
                      Sunday 10 aerobic 10 miles 10:02 avg pace; icy!!
                      totals ~50 miles 47.8 miles kinda getting tired of winter though....

Thanks, Holly.  I got 2014 off to a proper start with 41.5 miles.

FO

Alexander R

Mon 10 mi (1:19) treadmill

Tue 11.7 mi (1:33)

Wed 11.7 mi (1:43)

Thu 9 mi (1:10) treadmill

Fri 8.2 mi (1:00) treadmill

Sat 9 mi (1:10) treadmill

Sun 12.5 mi (1:35) treadmill

Total: 72 miles ( 9 hrs 30 min)

the highlight of the week was 1hr on treadmill immediately

after 3hrs of shoveling the snow, clearing up the driveway

and the cars. the snowmageddon sort of lived up to expectations