Masters Running

Christmas Eve Day - Master Runs and running around (Read 417 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt if you wish. But here's my perspective of your training: You are a fast runner. And a tough one too. But in my view you train too fast and too hard and don't seem to take easy recovery days. Now, I'll be the first to admit that to a certain extent to run fast you have to run fast. Your body and mind must get used to running at race pace (or near to it). This is why tempos, marathon pace runs, and progression runs are so important. But ... and I think this is key in your case ... especially as we get older, we MUST take it easy on some running days and rest altogether on other days. To not do so is a recipe for burnout, or worse, injury. Sound like anyone we know? Wink And recovery days have to be really slow - a jog really. I'd like you to run no more than 5 days a week. And I'd like to see you never run a hard workout two days in a row. On hard workout days, run lots of tempo miles and sprinkle in some repeats - but don't let your high pain tolerance get confused with the normal hard workout feelings that build stamina. Your low pain tolerance friend, Bill
    On the bright side, my AT pain is almost gone...perfect Christmas present. But Bill, you are right in so many ways.... I really really over do things. Hey, if 7:00 pace is good, isn't 6:00 pace better? That's the mentality I have which is wrong I know. I will do things different next time and NOT be injuried. Actually at the end of my last Marathon training cycle, I learned about recovery "jogs" too late. But I am SOOOO happy my foot feels sooo good....toes a different situation. Bill, you are doing so well....WTG Buddie. TimmiBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!