Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 2.4.16 (Read 36 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It started as a Tippi Hedren run.

I never met a movie from those days
    I didn’t like either, unless it was
    from the Black Lagoon. 

After five wet and windy cycling miles on the way back yesterday,

five dry ones this morning.

thanks zigalina. The feature photo is already one of my favorites, . . . but I liked his bare feet in it on the rocky, mountain-top trail better than just showing the kilt. However, they are way off base in thinking there’s a Ragsdale “in every running community across this country.”  “Quirky’ and “wacky” in the same breath, he was one of a kind, at least in my 40 years of running around mountain tops and marathons. 
    . . . . In other words, he was the fun-loving guy -

. . . . competitive, but not too serious -

. . . . who exists in every running community across the country.

. . . . And since every runner knows a “Todd Ragsdale,”

. . . . news of his sudden death has hit runners - even outside Ashland - hard.
    ps - I saw about 50 scoters doing waterfowl version of the starling murmuration in Lake Washington so much this morning I had to stop and watch a while as, at first, it looked like a huge conglomeration of kelp or something being whipped around but there’s none in a lake and there wasn’t any wind either.
    pps nice goddess photo.

ps aamos - the sorry commentaries about Presidential Candidate Cruz

from his bitter college roommate are all the reason I need to vote for him.
    pps - you and divechief posting about your new shoes for the Seattle Marathon in 2004 got me realizing that there was a lighter side to posting about running too. Maybe Divechief’ll be out on Bianca at this year’s annual Chilly Hilly cycle season opener at the end of the month too.  
    ppps - don’t go near the Black Lagoon down there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

for anyone interested, RW did an article about Todd also, that has even more information than the Trail Runner one. 

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/tragic-end-in-search-for-beloved-runner?cid=soc_Runner%27s%20World%20-%20RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner%E2%80%99s%20World__News

thanks tammy - much better recognition for a runner who,

by any stretch of the imagination, was “beyond comparison,” e.g.

. . . showing up for a relay race with shoes he had made out of duct tape and scouring pads,

. . . trying to get his Hood-to-Coast Running mates to join him in Speedo and sombrero.

. . . Star Wars headband out of an old pair of Star Wars pajamas, etc.

Sorry we all can't join you this weekend.

I'd love to try the scouring pads someday.

Maybe someone else who doesn’t have to worry about being competitive any more’ll give it a try. <<<(ds/ds)>>> Otherwise, maybe running the Rags with you someday'll work out.  That would be nice.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm still running. XC skiing some but not nearly as much as in the Alaska days. Last month was about 75% running, 25% skiing.

Erika, I did behavior research on Starlings in the late 90s. They are common (and a pest) in the Lower 48, but never saw any in Alaska. They were introduced by Shakespeare fans into NYC's Central Park in the late 1800s and now there are 100s of millions. They are interesting birds. They mimic the calls of other birds and are quite intelligent. They do cause problems to some crops and at dairy farms.

I'm going skiing in Boulder today.

I haven't posted since Sunday so will try to catch up.  We babysat Monday, I had my eye surgery for cataracts and glaucoma in my right eye on Tues, and Wed I had a follow up with the doctor.  She thinks everything went well.  I walked a couple of miles today, one this morning on the TM and one outside this afternoon.

Holly, belated happy birthday to your son.  Jay, it looks and sounds like a great party.  Aamos, bummer about the bathroom experience.  stumpy, sorry to hear about your tumble.  I hope you heal quickly.   Sorry to hear about Steve's granddaughter having a reaction to her medicine.  I hope she is back to normal quickly.

Nice long runs for Holly, fatozzig, mari, enke, stumpy, tsunami, wild, and Mike.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters,

It was a lot warmer today, so I took the pups for 1.5 miles on our road, then went out to get groceries, and stopped at a local trail on the way home.  I was hoping to do 10 miles, but the snow was pretty deep, so I only went 7 miles.  It took just over 2 hours, so most of it wasn't exactly running - more like slogging through deep snow - but I'm counting it as a run anyway because I ran when I could!  So there.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Hi Roger! I was just thinking about you the other day. Just over a year ago we were running on New Year's Day I think it was, and commenting on how nice it was for running. This year's January was even better, but I think the skiers would like more snow!

Hey, Leslie and Carolyn, check this out! Alaska Endurance Trail Run  June 4, a beautiful time to be here! I'm seriously thinking about it even though I'll have just done a marathon the week before.

Hey Tom, welcome back. How does the eye feel? Vision good?

A little warmer here today than yesterday. I went 5.6 miles with almost 2 of those being on the trail I like to run in the summer. The snow is packed so hard it's really easy to run on.

Stumpy, sorry to hear you pulled an Enke!  Hopefully that weird pain will go away soon.

Holly, I was thinking, maybe your boss should hire another person to help with the workload?

Sorry to hear about Steve's GD.  Hoping she gets better real soon.  That's scary.

I haven't run or rode this week.   Seems I am a weekend warrior and a weekday procrastinator.

Funny story.... I planned this awesome dinner for my kids and Mr. Blue Eyes.  Tues night I spent hours cooking and preparing for Wed night's dinner.  I put all this stuff into a crockpot for an Irish Stew, which included 2.5 bottles of porter.  It's a really great recipe.  I put the ceramic pot part of the crockpot in the fridge, then told my DS15 to take it out of the fridge and put it into the crockpot appliance thingy and turn it on when he got home from school.  I came home on Wed night to the smell of slightly burnt Irish stew, and discovered he had transferred the food from the ceramic pot directly into the aluminum heating vessel.      And there was no lid.  And he has seen me use the crockpot before!  I was almost in tears, as I had so wanted to make a special dinner for us all.  We ended up going out for dinner.

But, I will gladly take those kind of bumps in life over a million other things that could happen.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS - I hope your eye is healing well.

Enke - that would be pretty frustrating, but it will make a funny story in years ahead....like the time my SM made blueberry pie and accidentally used salt instead of sugar....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Enke - that would be pretty frustrating, but it will make a funny story in years ahead....like the time my SM made blueberry pie and accidentally used salt instead of sugar....

Or the time my ex-husband and I spent an evening pitting a big cooler full of cherries and lost our energy with just one bowl left to do. I put all of it in the fridge for the next day. Guess which bowl I took out to make a cherry pie?  Pits in every bite!