Masters Running

Thu Nov 20 Runs, Nonruns, Workouts and Nonworkouts (Read 668 times)

TammyinGP

{{{ Tim }}}

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tim -
      Tet, serious question. Why do you "not"run everyday I would die to be able to run one mile right now don't you like running? I guess I don't get it when someone is capable to run, but just doesn't
      tim - I'm so sorry to be not running when I could and you and so many others who want to run can't. The short answer is now that I live in the city, I run mostly just on weekends to keep in shape as a poor sustitute for the skiing and hiking I used do in a former life (skiing 100 days a year, hiking to the summits of coastal mountains after work, etc.). I train as little as possible because my running in various weekend events are measures of being in shape enough to run 5k/10K fun runs, marathon, etc. over the years and training would make me faster than I really am and be kind of like cheating let alone dishonor prior years when I didn't train that much either. Beside, my times for the two times when I've trained my heart out weren't that much different from when I don't train. It also helps to be a minimalist runner (yes, even shirtless) preferring nicer weather that we don't have much of in the winter months in the Pacific Northwest. Tim, your nonrunning this month started just when I was very depressed when our annual freebie NYC marathon sister marathon that's been held every year through the fall leaves on the first Sunday of November since 2001 was cancelled this year after, so I've heard anyway, they were cease-and-desisted from using any connection to the NYC mary without a formal (and very pecuniary) affiliation. It wasn't anything like what happened to you though but you were dealing with it much better than I was. You know, you're the first person I can remember who has been able to humor himself through an injury so well. Though, like us all, you sometimes say things I wish I could take back, you're a special guy and it will soon be over for you so I appreciate the chance to let you know how much the timing of your injury and the fun you've helped us poke at ourselves has buoyed me up, albeit for different reasons. It makes me almost regret the expensive registration for the Seattle Marathon at the end of the month or I'd just keep on tapering until you go running again too as my annual running season doesn't usually start until March anyway. If fact, though I'm kind of planning on a run to a 10K event this weekend as last-ditch training for the Seattle Marathon, if the raining and lousy weather keep up, you can count on my company for another week. I wish I could change places with you but I don't think you'd want to be this slow. Hang in there buddy. so sorry.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

{{{TIM}}} Tet is a very special guy...If you met him you would know he loves running(especially with wimmen) He has a unique ability...taper taper taper...then run a marathon. He still don't know how he does it...
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Tim, Even if I never participate much in the discussions here , I do admire very much the way you are dealing with this injury time . I know I myself have a hard time taking a day off running so I would go crazy very quickly if completely unable to run. I also got to know Tet quite well in the last couple of years , did some long races with him , shared miles on our beautiful PNW trails and I have to say he is always an inspiration and a constant reminder to go out there and put those shoes on ....or not...for the pure joy of running. Jon, Can't wait to see you on 11/30 for the Seattle Marathon. I've been training with a friend who is struggling with constant pain and injuries....we'll take it slow and I'll stick with him at whatever pace he can manage , so I think I'll be out there for while....and I'll be wearing my new MM yellow...!!! Francesca
            PDR, I just wanted to post and say how sorry I am to hear about your father. It's good that he was able to attend the family renunion. I hope that his last days are peaceful. Lamerunner, I am sorry to hear about your sciatica. I had some bouts with that during my first pregnancy and it was exceedingly painful. Getting old is really not for wusses, is it? Sending you get well vibes! Meg

Once a runner . . .