Masters Running

LSD (Read 465 times)

Here's Dane's response: "Without a doubt, 99% of runners will be able to run their best marathon ever by properly training and tapering and resting. The race is just too long and takes too much of a toll on one's body for that not to be the case. However, many have found that they can run at or close to their current best by racing much more frequently without the "proper" rest necessarily needed to heal and recover. This begs the question as to whether their current best is close to what they "could” do if they rested more. I have been faced with that question often. As Amy mentioned, my times continued to get faster during my 52 marathons. Personally, I know it was a number of factors that were involved. For example, MY PR going into Fiddy2 was a 3:07. I knew that was a very weak PR that would eventually fall. And it did. In fact, in the 42 marathon of the year I ran a 2:59. Currently I sit at 2:51 with a 2:45 attempt this weekend on the horizon. Obviously, the 3:07 was not a true PR. but while running 52 marathons, working a full time job and running in some very slow races (Leadville, for example) I still averaged a 3:21 for the year. So either I am a freak or there is something to racing often. Or both."
    Masters 2000 miles
      Aamos--Mary Akor is an interesting example perhaps. I was just reading about her over on letsrun.com. She ran 20 marathons in 2007 and then focused on the Olympic Trials (not doing the frequent marathon thing). She ran a 2:39 in the Trials and had a tough day. Three weeks later and she wins the Vancouver marathon in 2:37----back to her frequent marathoning ways. Interesting to see what she does next.... Karin