Masters Running

Sunday stuff, 1.20.13 (Read 48 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm sitting in the dark in the kitchen. The only light is from my laptop screen and keyboard, and the little bit of orange I see in the sky off to the east. I've been up for a couple of hours, hanging out with the cat, seeing what's on TV early on a Sunday (nothing), doing some easy stretching and a few starter planks, showering, etc. It's a pretty tranquil time of the day, and I enjoy the peace and quiet. DW's still asleep, and I'm a little envious of her, on one hand, for being able to sleep 8-9 hours a night (compared to my 6 or so). On the other hand, I love being up to watch the day seep into our corner of the world.

Normally, I'd be back from my workout by now. But today we have a racewalking training session, so I'll wait till I get to the track to for my workout. My right quad is tight, and I don't know if it is referred discomfort from my sciatica or something simpler like a slightly-strained muscle. I guess I'll find out when I get on the track. One of our racewalkers owns a French restaurant, so after our workout, some of us are heading there for crepes for brunch. DW will meet us there, and then she and will get on with the day's chores.

I'm very fortunate to have the life that I have, and to know the people I know. I often wonder why it is that my life has turned out so well, when others have struggles that I don't. I should just shrug it off and do what I can, where I can, to balance the equation. But I still wonder why we didn't evolve to a place where everyone has the same quality of life. Survival of the fittest? I dunno. Ah, heck, enough of this ruminating - I'm going to go have a banana.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

On the other hand, I love being up to watch the day seep into our corner of the world.

I'm very fortunate to have the life that I have, and to know the people I know. I often wonder why it is that my life has turned out so well, when others have struggles that I don't. I should just shrug it off and do what I can, where I can, to balance the equation

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Loved the "watch the day seep into your corner of the world" line in your post this morning. And your thoughts about being fortunate in life? I agree. I am blessed. That wasn't always the case for me growing up with a father who was an alcoholic and never worked. He could be a mean drunk, and my mother basically raised six children by herself. My life has changed so much for the better. That's why I'm such a firm believer in "paying it forward". I try to volunteer and donate time and talent when I'm able. Especially at the homeless shelter once a week. I always think "there but for the grace of God" could have been my family back in the fifties.

Holly - hope the party for your DH was a success. And I hope you're feeling better today. As Mariposai mentioned, don't ever underestimate the power of a glass of wine Smile

Great picture of Noah and his mother Steve! I always love this site because we can basically watch these kids grow up over the years. It's almost like having another grandchild or two.

Hope everything is going well for you these days Mike.

Tom - how is Pickles doing?

Henry - take it easy. Even if you're not coming here to run the Cellcom again, we want you running!

It's 2° here with 15 to 20 mph sustained winds. Today was my first attempt at running since my stupid stunt last week and I didn't feel like layering up so I ran on the treadmill at the Y. 4 miles at a 10:00 minute pace just to see how things would go, then 30 minutes of core work and stretching. I can still feel the bruise and things are sore but I think everything will be fine. I missed a few days of the plank challenge but I'm still trying to do them every day.

C-R

Good you're feeling better Jlynne and nothing wrong with the tm when its 2. But you could have checked off the more miles than degrees box for the year.

Hope that quad is nothing of consequence Jay. I get your thoughts on one's blessings. I have many as well and want to make sure I don't ever take them for granted. Hopefully those of us who have been blessed can help others learn how to get there as well.

6 recovery miles this morning. Soccer after my long run workout did a number on my ankles. But it was good to slow down and make the smart move. It will pay dividends later in the year.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Not sure who I shoot cheer in the NFC but being a Colts guy I'm pulling for the Ravens. We're not big fans of Belichik or as I refer to him Darth Vader in a Hoodie (he's too stout to be the Galactic Emperor). Wink

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning Jay and Jeanne and Norm, and all the rest of the posters and lurkers today.  Profound thoughts to start us off, Jay.  I, too, am blessed, and grateful for my good life.

Jeanne, I think it's wonderful that you volunteer at the shelter each week.  Paying it forward and committing random acts of kindness are so important.  When is your new grandson due - any day now, isn't it?

SteveP, what a great picture of Noah and his mom!  He sure is getting big!  I agree with Jeanne - it's fun to watch everyone's kids and grandkids grow up. Some of us have known each other a long time!    Jeanne, I remember when your DIL was expecting "baby Leo!"

Tamster, congrats to David on 1st place!   He sure is growing into a fine and talented young man.

I did well at my 5 mile race yesterday, especially considering I was only back home at altitude for 2 days!  I ran it in 41:45, a PR and 2nd AG out of 24!   After the race I drove up to Laramie to visit my sister and pick up Tazzie and Ladybug.  I missed their furry faces!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Check out the speed on Wild!  Nice job.

Jay, I saw your post about 6 this morning and thought "I'll write later."  And you are right. All of us are lucky in some way.  Thanks.

David is cool.  Congrats Tammy.

22 MOH in about 3:47 this morning, which combined with the 8 I did yesterday gives me a nice 30 mile weekend. I am so happy, as I felt great the whole way. At our club we have volunteers who put out water and Gatorade along the course, but the ones who did it today are newbies and they pulled it early, so after 15 I had nothing to drink, but still managed my final two miles at the best pace. I pronounce myself ready!   Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I guess if you can't be deep yourself, hanging around with people who are,  helps make you look that way.  It's my only hope.  But I ceratinly can be, and am, very grateful for my life that affords me the ability to hnag out here, amoung other little pleasures in life.  The little things that I think of as annoyances dont amount to much along side some truely monummental problems that others have to deal with.

Speaking of which--Mike, that was a beautiful eulogy for your sister.

I know that I need to do more, more consistantly,  for others, but when the Christmas bonus came in higher than expected, I did drop off a stack of gift envolopes with $20 bills at the local food pantry to hand out with the holiday baskets.  But I need to be more like JLynne and do it a lot more often than once a year.

On a much more mundane level, I took advantage of the shorts weather this morning and did three laps around our lake for a grand total of 9.4 miles.  First time ever for a triple and longest long run in many a month.  sustained winds of 20+ and gusts into the 30's made life interesting.  A few unintentional changes of direction and a couple of almost stops.  Someone here has refered to that as "Kansas hills" and my legs are feeling it a bit at the moment.

nice race for a welcome back, Carolyn.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Some of you have asked for a video of me singing.  Here is a YouTube Video of me and my Church Choir.  Not exactly a solo but I enjoyed this one a lot.  For those of you who might not know, I am the Old Guy on the left with the mic.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Very good Bill. Hard to look at you in shirt and tie. Next time wear running clothes.  Spareribs

Ran 4 miles this morning...after 3 days off...Now under 200 pounds...Woot!!!

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

steve, nice picture of Noah and his mom.  Tammy, congrats to your son for 1st place in the district free throw contest.  Jay, great thoughts in your thread.  I, too, feel blessed with the way my life has gone.  wild, great race with PR and 2nd in AG. lynden, good job on breaking that 200 pound mark.

Nice long runs for C-R, breger, sarge, and ribs.

My running shoe store stint has been great, as it was the other two times I've done it.  As I've stated before, this sale is amazing.  Over the course of the sale, they expect to sell 10-15K pairs of shoes.  The store added about 165 to their normal staff of about 100 for the sale.  At the expected busiest time the first day, they had 100 people working.  There were representatives of several of the big shoe companies on site.  In my shifts, I doubt that I've been more than a couple minutes without a new customer after finishing with another.  It's been fun talking with so many people, most of them runners.

As I wrote the other day, I worked 7+ hours Thursday and 6+ hours Friday.  For an old retired guy, that's a lot more than I'm used to doing and I was tired.  Saturday, I woke up with a little headache and felt a little yucky.  Even though I originally hoped for a short run, I cancelled that plan and was glad I wasn't scheduled to work that day.  The store put on a pizza supper and get together Sat. evening for all the full and part time employees.  Even though I wasn't sure it was a good idea, I started out with a Guiness and my headache disappeared. That sort of goes along with Holly's wine and jlynne's comment about the power of a glass of wine.

Last night, I wondered if I should try a short run this morning or pass, based on how wiped out I was after the first two days of work.  I woke up to a temperature in the mid teens, wind advisories, and a wind chill below zero.  That convinced me to not run.  Today's 3 hour shift went well and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's 5 hour shift and then getting back home.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

The store put on a pizza supper and get together Sat. evening for all the full and part time employees.  Even though I wasn't sure it was a good idea, I started out with a Guiness and my headache disappeared. That sort of goes along with Holly's wine and jlynne's comment about the power of a glass of wine.

L

This made me laugh Big grinModeration is the king, right?

Coastwalker's posting today matched my introspective minutes and meditation time I had this morning. I am blessed, I thought and how can I bless others in return was the question I left with for the week to work on.

Then came Stumpy with his  story with the food bank and that made me all teary eyed. I am a board member of our county's Community Action Council, which supervises the county's food banks. I know that we can gather a lot of food for donations, but cash is hard to come by to put in the baskets. I am sure you blessed many people's day.

Way to go Spareribs with that 30 miler weekend. You are in great shape already and Boston is still months away. How many 20 milers will you be running this training cycle?

Breger, I will have to check out the video. Will you\ be running Disney in a few days?

Jlynne, your new avatar is adorable. 

Gordon, way to go with that weight loss! 

Great racing Wildchild!! Second in age group after a trip overseas!!! Way to go!

Tamster, I beam every time I think of your son and what a star he is becoming! Great picture of Pre the other day btw.

Another blah day for me. No running nor do I have the desire to run. It seems like the fever and the crud today is even worse than four days ago. My doctor friends warned me that the strain of this flu is fierce.

The highlight of my day was to listen to the soccer game that took place in Quiindy, my hometown, via internet. My brother is the President of the regional soccer league, so we are strong cheerleaders for this team.Big grin.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

....afternoon guys//............32min poolrun

TheLeg hasn't felt this good in 3-years,

may buy more Straps.

....................good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Breger,  Will you\ be running Disney in a few days?

No,  Mainly because it was a week ago.  Big grin

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

22 MOH in about 3:47 this morning, which combined with the 8 I did yesterday gives me a nice 30 mile weekend. I am so happy, as I felt great the whole way.

Sweet!  I admit to being envious of this run.  I can hardly wait for that feeling.

Jlynne – so glad to hear that things feel like they’re going to be fine.

Carolyn – nice racing!

Byll – I loved this – thank you for sharing it.       

Mariposai - rest, rest and rest, my dear. 

No run for me again today (!).  DH’s party went well last night, and I thought I was very moderate in my drinking, but still felt like a train wreck all day today.  This is the first cold I can remember that I have no desire to run at all, just feel like crap.  It has only been 6 says since onset, though, so I have great hopes that each day will be better from here on out.

On the plus side, my back and various ouchies from the fall are almost better - very fortunate and happy about that.

2 minutes of planks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

No,  Mainly because it was a week ago.  Big grin

see what happens when you become a caveman cyber user.

Roll eyes

You loose track of everything.

BTW< very nice video!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard