Masters Running

Thanksgiving Monday, 11/25 daily (Read 35 times)

Mariposai

Our valley has been blessed with some terrific sunrise and sunsets lately. Here is a picture a friend posted last night.

No running, just some back and shoulder XT this morning. I am sure having so much fun with son Daniel. I love that kid.

I am so thankful for the ability to exercise and be fit.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks for starting us off, Butterfly! That is a beautiful photo. Our DS won't be here until Wednesday night; I'll be up waiting!

Down to 20F or a bit lower this morning, but I was dressed for it and it was quite comfortable out there on a 6-miler with a group of friends. Once more the odds were against me, though, as I was outnumbered gender-wise 4 to 1. At least that meant I didn't have to say much along the way. Roll eyes After years of running mostly solo, I really do enjoy the people I've met running since I retired.

Have a good week, everyone. I expect to hear about a lot of Turkey Trots later in the week!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Gorgeous photo mariposai!!

Mike E - wow, all that waiting....hope you didn't blow a gasket.

Stumpy - interesting about the SS number on your ring, I hope it turns up.

In my weird social life, I am meeting door number 6 tomorrow.  My expectations are always pretty low, but then sometimes I get a nice surprise.  Interestingly, another one started emailing me who I might go meet, his handle is"doornumberfour".  Ha.  Should I tell him he is actually "doornumberseven" and counting?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Posie, that's a beautiful, beautiful image.

Had a fun weekend - went mountain biking on Saturday.  The terrain was so rough that when I dumped the 10 km over 2.5h into my log, it helpfully perked up and categorized the outing as a walk.

Sunday, <brag> I went to the awards dinner for the club that puts on weekly cycling time trials through the summer.  On my first outing in July, I smashed the masters women's record and ended up carrying off the series.  So I get to dust a very lovely ginormous trophy for a year </brag>

I got a harsh dose of current reality this morning, however, when I went to the pool for the first time in ages.  The locker-room mirrors are ruthless.  Fortunately, New Coach is not, and I kind of actually had fun.  I'll have to be kind to myself.  It took me months to fall this far out of shape and I'll have to give myself permission to take months to get back in.

C-R

Nice pic posie.

Hope the ring turns up stumpy

Group runs can be really good roch. Makes those cold runs better.

Keep knocking on those doors enke.

I agree sally. Mirrors are no friends. Well except those carnival fun house one's. I look really skinny in those.

5 miles of recovery today from Monkey. Quads a bit sore from the downhill pounding. Should be back to my usual 10k per day tomorrow. Albeit a bit slower for a couple of days. Unlikely I will get a turkey trot race this year. I will get turkey though. Ahh tryptophan.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks, quick fly-by from work....

I was at a school conference with DH over the weekend, chaperoning the 12 students from our school.  Mostly the conference was a series of debates on topical issues, 3 or 4 to choose from every hour or so. It was very inspiring to see these young people at work - some very smart kids!

I was able to read, but for some reason I am not able to post from my Kindle Fire at RA.  When I touch "reply" the box comes up, but no keyboard, so I can only post blank posts.  I don't have this problem at FB, so no idea.

Mariposai - lovely!

MS - congratulations!

CR - that is a COLD monkey!   So glad it was pleasant when I ran it last year...

Tet - I, too, have a dumb phone.....with 5 phones on our plan, I already pay too much as is with no data plan.

5.7 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Work has been a firestorm today and 2 sets of contractors have been coming in and out to work on a bathroom upstairs, so no run today as planned.  (But in all honesty, if it was 60 and sunny instead of 25, windy and snowy, I probably would have figured out a way to run a few miles.)

I am just stopping by to see if a dancing baby .gif will post in this forum....(sorry for mucking up the daily.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6_vOrek9Ne4/UpOiWP4yFEI/AAAAAAAACQs/hUomb8ep8o8/s1600/big_girl_dance.gif

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Work has been a firestorm today and 2 sets of contractors have been coming in and out to work on a bathroom upstairs, so no run today as planned.  (But in all honesty, if it was 60 and sunny instead of 25, windy and snowy, I probably would have figured out a way to run a few miles.)

I am just stopping by to see if a dancing baby .gif will post in this forum....(sorry for mucking up the daily.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6_vOrek9Ne4/UpOiWP4yFEI/AAAAAAAACQs/hUomb8ep8o8/s1600/big_girl_dance.gif

no, it doesn't work.  So cut it out.  Dancing bananas only.Evil

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

It was worth a shot.  The baby dances on my screen.

Right after I wrote that there would be no run, I went out for a little 3-miler.  No explanation for that.

stumpy - I lost my wedding ring a few years back in a similar situation.  I was at the Frankenmuth Snowfest and I was slipping my gloves off to take pictures.  I got home and noticed the ring was gone.  Someone with a metal detector will find it someday I guess.

TammyinGP

I can see dancing baby. Very cute!

just returned for a quite little overnight trip out of town for Dh and I. Stayed at a Historic Inn about 30 miles north of us. The oldest operating Inn in the PNW. It has quite the colorful history since it was established in 1883. We stayed in the Clark Gable Suite (that he and Carole Lombard stayed in a few times). It has several other notable stars of the day that stayed there also President Hayes, Jack London (most frequent guest and also has his own room that is for viewing only), Mary Pickford, Robert Redford, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Patrick Stewart.

Off work this week but not a whole lot planned. just the way I wanted it.

Tammy

Dave59 sounds like my house today!  Painters, HVAC repair and driveway repair at my place!

TammyinGP does the Patrick Stewart. come with a transporter?

tetsujin209 I bet adding wine tasting through the course would attract a lot of runners no matter the distance!  Heck, you might even create quite a few new ultra marathoners!

My new phone arrived today!  Yahoo!  I got it set up and went out for a run with some zombies chasing me.  I would have got away but for a phone call!  It seems I still have few bugs to work out in my ability to operate things.  Glad for the call though.  Made a few miles go faster even if it did cost my avatar a few days as a zombie cat.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Ohhh what fun Joking

5 miles on my TM. I know that I need to be brave and get out in 27F so when it is 6F my brain will still think I should go out. I need to stop being a chicken about this cold temp.Blush and jut get out.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I need to be brave and get out in 27F so when it is 6F my brain will still think I should go out. I need to stop being a chicken about this cold temp.Blush and jut get out.

Why would you do that?

Not that I take it personally or anything like that but You goddesses prove every day you're tougher than we are.

After putting off a trip to the dentist for too long, I was delighted when he said he probably wouldn't need any pain killer to drill out and repair what felt like a giant slab of tooth that had fallen off an upper first molar for no particular reason.  It was okay until he warned, “this might be a little out of your comfort zone.”  Oh well, at least it wasn’t cause for as much concern as a lingering Achilles soreness even causing some limping after yesterday’s Green Lake Gobble 10K. When same soreness developed for some reason in 1997, it took six months to go away. One of the realities of getting older is wondering if it ever will. Oh well.
                            Pass me some wine two cat.
                            Tell your DW we’re impressed.
                            ps dave - though the dancing baby shows up on my dial-up, fortunately, it’s frozen in time with none of the gyrations.  I’ll go over to the library though to look if it’s Annabelle or one of the other GS/GD’s herein.
                            pps - sorry to have called my cell phone dumb as my grandson (and me) think it is pretty smart with speaking clock, radio, flashlight, calculator, countdown timer, alarm clock, stopwatch, currency and metric converters, contact list, call log, appointment and regular calendar, etc., . . . even sends and receives photos and texts but I get along with it just fine without knowing how.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Icing my right quad so thought I would take a little time to catch up here.  Beautiful picture!

Mustang Sally, congrats on the trophy.  Enke, good luck on door #7.

Ran half marathon #20 (still more marathons than that) yesterday in brutally cold conditions.  Now I'm wary of running in the cold although it's not as bad so I appreciate the discussion about that.  Maybe I'll go to the gym and run on the treadmill tomorrow.  I'm done teaching for the semester except for the final so I have even more time than usual.  Thank goodness for Thanksgiving!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mariposai

Sunday, <brag> I went to the awards dinner for the club that puts on weekly cycling time trials through the summer.  On my first outing in July, I smashed the masters women's record and ended up carrying off the series.  So I get to dust a very lovely ginormous trophy for a year </brag>

CONGRATULATION!S!!!!!