Masters Running

Thu Apr 24 Runs and Workouts (Read 496 times)

Welcome mgerwien! People here are fabulous and were so welcoming when I started posting. Post lots and often. Your plans look good! I am a run by feel runner as well (I do time my workouts when speed is involved, but that's it)---all styles welcome. I know what you mean Sarge, and I am on vacation.....too much to read and all of it great. CNYrunner/Karin
      Well I had one good day after getting over my cold (2nd in a row) and this morning I woke up with a sore throat and a fever again. Came home early from my little "volunteer" job. Pretty unreliable volunteer I've been lately with sick kids and all, it's a good thing they are not paying me. Ugh!! I hope this doesn't turn into some awful crud that sticks with me for the next two weeks. It is what it is. That is my new saying for anything that happens that I can't control. Stunningly profound eh? Seems to work well though. Dave59, thanks for the LOL. CNYrunner - I've noticed that eau de chlorine smell too! I've run on the treadmill the day after swimming, and bleh! I could hardly stand the odor rising off my skin. I hate pools. My last 12 miler one week before Eugene is on Sunday, and I am not sure how slow/medium/fast to run it. Any suggestions? Slow and a couple at MP in the middle or end?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

I went out for a slow 4.6 miles at lunch - it's a bit warm today, 68 degrees, but blessedly overcast. Getting too warm for lunchtime runs this time of year. I had a meeting with the New Mexico Air Quality Bureau yesterday, and I wore a skirt for the occasion. One of the regulators and one of my clients asked me why I had such an unusual tan line at my ankles. Yes

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Enke, put a few HM pace miles into the middle of your run, alternating with easy miles, say 4 or so. That ought to be about right. You will be fine. Welcome mgerwien, I see you will have lots of fun company, we have some pretty good runners in CT and darned nice people they are too. Karin, will you drop me an email? I want to share something with you: spareribs823 at gmail dot com. Thanks. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

Good Afternoon Everyone, Great runs today Boomers! I am still reading through the Boston reports and they are all very inspiring. I have not run a marathon in a long time, but I am really thinking about moving up to at least a half next year and maybe even a full. Lou: Thanks for the pictures. As others have posted, it's nice to have faces for the names we see each day. Wildchild: Glad to see you back. I was beginning to worry about you. We are usually right together in the 1,000 mile club and I was getting out ahead of you. I'm sure you will pass me again over the weekend. Big grin mgerwien: Welcome. I too can relate to your profile. I was always a middle of the pack runner in high school and still am pretty much. I have only been here a few weeks myself, but I can tell you the people are great and will make you feel welcome right away. Today was speed day #2 for me. 3 mile tempo run with a mile to wu and a mile to cd. Tempo run miles were: 8:32, 8:19, 8:10. WU:9:46 CD:9:51. Total time 44:38 for 5 miles 8:56/mile pace. Have a great evening everyone Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mariposai

Glad to see wildchild posting...I was thinking and praying for you sistahh. I hope all is well with your soul. A warm welcome to mgerwien...I hope you find your "forum home" here. You will find great folks here who will encourage, nurture and guide you as you train for your marathon. I too sent off my registration for the NYC marathon this fall. I hope that luck will have us there. I lvoe the future marathoner picture in your avatar Tongue 2 miles walk during lunch today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good to hear from you, Wildchild! That's funny about the client noticing your tan line! I'm starting to get a funny one on my arm, due to my Garmin. My long run Tuesday really took it out of me, so I rested yesterday and ran only 1 mile this afternoon. Then I took my dog and daughter for a long walk, because she wanted to pick up trash since Earth Day was this week. I was surprised at how much she found! It's funny how often now people will say something like, "I saw you running around Back Cove in Portland on Tuesday!" It surprises me, because that's about 20 minutes away from my house. You never know who's watching!
                  I had a meeting with the New Mexico Air Quality Bureau yesterday, and I wore a skirt for the occasion. One of the regulators and one of my clients asked me why I had such an unusual tan line at my ankles. Yes
                  Hey, I have that same tan line! Tongue
                    I am a lazy slacker. After carpy runs Monday and Tuesday, being at work until 8 last night, and feeling like a hamster in a wheel at work all week, I went to get my hair cut this afternoon before running class. I sat in that lovely chair in that relaxing salon, having my hands massaged and sipping herbal tea, just long enough for my body to realize how incredibly tired it is. As I jetted off to running club, after changing my clothes in the ladies room at the salon, I nearly fell asleep at the wheel and made a quick detour for home. (By way of the grocery store - my first trip there in over a week.) So far my evening cross-training has consisted of putting away the groceries, emptying the dishwasher so that I could put the dirty dishes from Monday in it, collecting my mail from the last two days, and typing this post. I'm off to bed super-early, hoping to find enough sproink to run 4 tomorrow afternoon. I'm absolutely certain that my exhaustion has NOTHING to do with staying up too late reading Boston race reports. Roll eyes 'night all, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Holly....we (I) need pics of those toenails!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        Eliz- I hate when life gets in the way of recreation. Sounds like your body was sending you strong messages and you were wise to listen to it. That doesn't make you a slacker, just human. Luckily for you the roads will still be there tomorrow. mgerwien- welcome, welcome! This is a great group of supportive people of differing opinions, backgrounds, experience and each and everyone contributes something valuable. I look forward to reading your posts. RoyC- Nice run today! Rochrunner- Good to have you back posting from tropical Michigan. Today was one of those days, on my feet all day at work, home to mow the lawn, cook dinner, do dishes and I was really debating if I wanted to push myself and do 400m repeats tonight. Decided I would at least run over to the local community college and I would decide what to do next when I got to the track. Sometimes when the body goes someplace the mind will follow. Ran 6 400's in 1:31, 1:26, 1:30, 1:30, 1:33, 1:32 with 400m recovery jogs in the 3:00 range. It was a hard workout but very rewarding to get that one under my belt.

Marathon Maniac #957

Spent the warm evening at the nature preserve with the kids and dog, leisurely walking the trails, then sitting on a moss-covered log and watching the kids skip stones in the river while the dog nosed along the shoreline and the birds chirped their evening songs. Bliss....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

welcome mgerwien, this is a great place for advise, motivation and occasionally we even discuss running. Wink 5 easy for me tonight at 9:15 pace. this is a cut back week for me and I am kind of antsy of only running 13 on Sunday. I am sure it is wise so I will stay with my schedule. Roy, glad your run went well today and hopefully it will stay that way. Nice to hear from Wildchid she has been gone a lot this month.Vacations, work whats next? Big grin I see btb finally posted his rr so I am off to read that good runs to everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Renee the dog

Back from 5 starry (and slow) miles tonight with my babysitter. She gave blood, came home, napped, and insisted on running tonight. I modified our route so that we basically made concentric circles around our block so that we weren't too far from home if she had to bail or I had to revive her. Surprised She did fine. Ah to be 17 and an athlete. Oh wait, I was. Wink A looong time ago. Big grin I've been popping in, reading race reports, crying, etc. You guys sure have made me cry more than I probably have in the last 10 years with all the reports. I'm so moved by everyone's commitment, motivation, lessons learned, etc. It's great to be hanging around here!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!