Masters Running

Fresh Start Monday - 4/6 (Read 37 times)

TammyinGP

Same with the five space indents for paragraphs. Now I find that highly annoying.

you're telling me that has changed too????

great, it's hard enough trying to break my 'two spaces' habit (still fail most of the time) . . .

Tammy

I remember typing up my thesis back in 1969 on an old portable manual typewriter. Those were the days when "font selection" was just a matter of using a typewriter with pica or elite.

I'm also having trouble getting the needle on the scale to move at all even though I've cut back on my intake a lot in the last 2-3 weeks. What gives? I actually don't have the common weight-gain symptoms of my pants being tight in the waist, so where are those extra 5 lbs? I'd always like to fall back on that "maybe I added muscle mass" rationalization, but I never really believed it.

Had a really good workout in spinning class this morning with a substitute instructor. It's good to get someone with a different routine once in a while. Then, the weather was good enough by early afternoon that I decided to go for a real bike ride, but I really felt the morning's session in my legs and didn't ride all that far. I sure hope that I can start running before too long so I can get back to my usual rate of calorie burning.

Have a good week, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Hey Amy--I think Pedey's hand is feeling better.  Just saying. 

Opening day is NOT conducive to efficient work concentration.

Kevin!  I heard Pedey went deep (2x)  and Mookie had a big one!   Laser show!  I know I know....REALLY hard, Kevin .  But it's the bottom of the 8th and looking good, knocking my pencils as I type this.

ERIKA, get out!  You would kill a half right now, with the way you're running.  I'd say right around 1:40.  Yup, on a fast course, no ice, or varmints to get in yer way......

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

+1  That year in Miss Bender's typing class is still etched in my memory. On old-fashioned typewriters. That you had to actually push the carriage return. And pound on the keys. No spell check or white-out.  If you made a mistake you got out your eraser, or started over. And heaven forbid you made a mistake with carbon paper underneath! Kids today got it so easy

Where's Jay with the weekend recap????

Same for me!! It is so difficult for me to only do one space - but I am trying!!

Can we call tomorrow Fresh Start Tuesday -- I really need a do over!! The eating fest from yesterday continued in to today, but it's time to get a grip on it!!

Oh - but I made the MOST delicious Gluten Free Chocolate quinoa cake!! It was heavenly - so fudgelike!!  I might put the last couple of pieces in the freezer so I can savor it another day!! 

Robin - your little guy may not have to learn his lessons from hardship, but I know the lessons he learns from the way you live your life every day are immeasurable!!

denise

evanflein

5.6 mostly easy miles today. Legs a little sore after the weekend's runs but that's ok. It wasn't as warm as I was hoping it would be, and there was a headwind on the way back. Sure can't wait till the trails are dry. I ran next to one of the trails I run in the summer and could see that someone had already rutted it up with bike tracks. Drat!

Deez, having a hard time imagining a quinoa cake....

Jlynne, sorry about the Badgers, but boy that was sure quite the game!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I did mine in 1971/72 on a Smith Carona electric portable I got for high school graduation in 1961.

I've heard about the stupid one-space-between-sentences rule but don't think I've ever seen it in use. I certainly never will o it, maybe I'll do three or spite, . . . and I still like five space paragraph indents no matter what my automatic computer indent want me to do.  there, take that!.

Amy - I never dreamed that anyone who didn’t live here in Seattle or wasn’t a UW grad would know anything about the Olympic exploits of the famed UW Crew in Berlin in 1936 but, if anyone would, I’m not surprised it’s you, . . . and of course henrun, who was probably there. Smile
              In this regard, quite frankly, I have not believed one bit that anyone who’s a runner could spend a week in Seattle last month when I was still in Japan without running but I guess I'll have to believe that someone who does was but didn’t at least to the extend of getting inside the old and dilpa. . ., I mean venerated Washington Athletic Club to know the story of the crew too.  I think the last member of the crew passed away a couple of years ago at age 94. Maybe they knew each other.
              In addition to Jesse Owens, the 1936 Olympic marathon is famed to me because the winner for Japan was wearing a low-cut version of the split-toe construction worker shoes that, with their soft cloth uppers and even softer soles almost the same as bare feet I like to wear sometimes too. .They go up above the ankle but I always scissors my own to ankle length too.  Unfortunately, his victorious 26.2 miles is also associated with considerable notoriety because he was a Korean athlete forced to run for the Japanese occupation in those days.  He got his due 52 years later when he was the torch bearer into the Olympic Stadium in Seoul in 1988 and has had the Japanese rendition of his name stricken from Olympic history, including the monument or whatever at Culver City, California.  Anybody seen it? . . . or heard of it and why is it there?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sohn_Kee-chung

Incidentally, the same split toes won several Boston Marathons around 1950, but not worn by Sohn. Smile

His story came to mind because, by coincidence, I’m on a quickie two-cat type transPacific three day trip but back to Japan for a Monday meeting,.  I got a little scared when they booked me on Korean Airlines through Inchon, of all places.  whoops, guess I gotta go now so I’ll post it over the travel sticky instead of bogging down the daily which I don’t think I’ve ever done and certainly do not want to start doing.  Sorry, no photos though, . . . unless you can read my mind , but I can't even do that..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tet, you're almost starting to sound a wee bit curmudgeon-like there at the beginning of your post. A quick trip to Japan for a meeting? Ever heard of Skype? Hmmm, nice way to rack up some miles, but wow....

SteveP

I never took a typing class. 

Hi Dennis. Hop in any time. Though it took awhile to get used to everyone's handle, the people here have been a warm and fuzzy bunch.

Ribs - Snork.

Hey everyone. All this running is what makes you OCD Holly.

I'm with ya on "Fresh Start Tuesday" .

Zip on the books today. I got out of work pretty late, and decided to grocery shop today instead of later in the week hoping to free up time. I send DW pictures from along my routes. I call them "Today's view from the office".

I told DW that it's time for the Easter Bunny to retire. Then I got a few notes to the in box and a grandparent telling me how a little girl waited by the window for hours before the Easter Bunny finally showed. It's not about the stuff left in yards. That's the fun and easy part. The hope is that later in life, the young ones remember that somebody thought they were important. So we'll see how next year goes.

SteveP