Masters Running

Wednesday, 9.too.15 (Read 36 times)

FROST!!! NO, NO, NO!!!  ARGH!   No frost now!  No frost ever!  Why does summer only last 3 months?  

coastwalker I saw an article in Runner's World on-line saying that the number of races has grown (on a percentage basis) faster than the number of runners for some time now.  I guess we are the point where those that offer runners less than the competition are falling by the wayside.

Another day another hour on the elliptical.  If my abdomen passes a situp test tomorrow I am going to start running again.

In cooking news:  this is now the end of the very, very short hatch chili season.  I picked up a few pounds, roasted them and have since been going through hatch chili recipes.  If you see these guys in your area pick up a half dozen.  They are not so special that I would go out of my way to find them.  But, good enough that if you run across them they are worth getting.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A post operation present for TW.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

FROST!!! NO, NO, NO!!!  ARGH!   No frost now!  No frost ever!  Why does summer only last 3 months?  

+++++

and the days are getting shorter  

Marathon Maniac #957

Yeah!  Kwitcher whining about the heat, ya big WUSSIES!  Ask Ribs - do you ever hear HIM whine about the heat?  Come on, this is late summer, and I will hold onto every single warm day I can get!  So, go sit on your deck, take a dip in the pool, enjoy the flowers in the evening sun, have a cold beer and grill some brats - it'll be over soon enough!

Nancy - my adorable son in enjoying college immensely.  He has several friends in the dorms, and is through them meeting so many other students, enjoying the social aspects of college life, while still having the pleasure of coming home to the privacy of his own room at home.  My boy in a way is similar to me - he loves to socialize, but then later enjoys coming home to quiet time. He has the best of both worlds right now.

Shadowrunner - great to see you again!

Starr - please feel free to start another thread dedicated to telling us about your Alaska adventure (with pictures, I hope) - it sounds so exciting!

5.6 miles for me this morning in 72 degrees

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!  Hope you've all been behaving yourselves while I was on vacation!

Yay for TW's skippyness!

Posie, I'm happy you can get out for a run again!  The air was smoky the first day we were hiking in Wyoming, but then it cleared up.

There are a few aspen leaves turning yellow already ... fall will be coming soon!

I got out for a 10.8 mile trail run this afternoon, the first run in almost 2 weeks!  We figure we covered about 45 miles in a week of backpacking, and most of that was at or over 9,000 ft elevation, including crossing the divide twice, so probably pretty good cross training.  But still, not the same as running, and I felt a bit slow and creaky today.  I couldn't run on the days before or after we hiked because that's grizzly bear country and it wouldn't be safe.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 12 miles, tonight, with the middle 8 at tempo pace--total time was 1:25:05.

My whole dang body is falling apart.  When I woke up, this morning, I was fine.  As I went  through my morning stuff,though, I felt the upper part of my back getting tighter and tighter.  By the time I walked out the door, I couldn't even take a deep breath without it hurting really bad.  I tried light stretches throughout the day, but it never really loosened up.  I felt it on my run, but it never really affected it at all, so I have that going for me.  It feels a little bit better, now...but a deep breath is still pretty painful.

Okay--that's it--I'll leave you all alone.  See ya!

evanflein

Welcome back, Wildchild, and yes I'd say that hiking is excellent cross training.

Holly, cool that your DS is loving college. A good start helps make for a good experience all around.

I ran 10.2 miles tonight, first 7 on the Equinox trail then back to campus on the bikepath and road. Felt pretty good, and temp was in the low 60's! woot! I hope this nice sunny mild weather lasts for a few weeks, which is could... but probably won't. Just as long as it stays somewhat dry for Equinox and I'll be happy!

SteveP

Shadow Runner, When I rode at night, it was often difficult to tell if the obstacle was a pothole or something in the road. I avoided a skunk by falling on my side and rolling away.Riding in a rural area in the moonlight with the fire flies is greta.

Tet, four out of seven of my imaginary friends claim that I am also a the figment of a delusional mind. Like running, I don't swim as often as I'd like. It's been a while, out of 300 people, I was 3rd to last out of the water in the last tri I was in.  The swim was a mile. I broke my right big toe in the transition. The cycling was 31 miles and then a 10K.  Don't recall any other mountain bikes and I'd occasionally leave the road to jump a couple of things. I don't remember the AG placement, however, I was 75th OA.

I've done the polar bear plunges. Sober. The last time in the changing tent, saw that my dangling participles were a vibrant purple and took it as a sign to devote focus on Easter as a seasonal cross over activity.

Why does a DG post make my day?

My boss grumped at me today. He told me to get the hell out of there. I asked if that meant I need to watch my hours. He said no - I need to have a life outside of work. We have a period coming up where we will have to watch our hours. I want to clean up as much of the mess I've inherited as possible before then. While unloading a window truck, I noticed a $2,500. window was built incorrectly. The dotting of the "i"s and crossing of the "t"s took over an hour. The manufacture told me to field destroy it. Ugh. I'm trying to talk myself into donating it to Habitat for Humanity. The local chapter loves that I'm back as our company already donated a truck load of unclaimed orders and discontinued displays to their Restore.

As hot as it is, I was looking forward to another dip when I got home. Our GD was over and every time she couldn't see me, she started crying. So Grampy held her and sang songs while teaching her to make noises and faces. Important cross training.

SteveP