Masters Running

4.19.13 - Friday Daily (Read 68 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It is so wonderful to have some old friends back visiting (staying?) here - what a treat!

Tselbs - that is such a great story about the school principal and her kids! We need those positive stories now.

I'm surprised (but not completely) that there is still snow falling this late in April. But winter will eventually give up the fight and go into hiding for a while.

I was glad to see a post from TomW earlier this week, even if he was just expressing his anger/sadness over Monday's bombings. I do hope he'll stay with us.

DW left for NOLA yesterday, and I stayed home. My back is improving, but it isn't ready for prime time yet. I haven't worked out since Sunday, and likely still have at least a few more days before I can attempt even an easy few miles. My half marathon on the 28th has gone from a quest for a good finishing time to a question about whether I'll be able to race it at all. Tomorrow, a local running store is turning their regular Saturday run into a BM memorial and fundraiser. They're expecting a good turnout, so I'll probably head over to help with traffic control for a short while. I'd like to do more than that, but that'll likely be my limit.

Good luck to this weekend's racers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Recently joined the group, but am somewhat perplexed about the different threads. Seems more a set of chat rooms unlike the main forums or even the Beginners and Beyond group where I usually hang out. Not sure where or how to fit in like the new kid on the block who doesn't know anyone.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

C-R

Hey Jay and all to follow.

Hope you do get to run your half.

Great story Tom. Locke the finish line tape.

got some easy miles in chilly nashville Getting ready for my half tomorrow. I think I will wear my Boston shirt.

Habe a great one everybody.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

Wc - welcome. There are daily chats, workout threads, mileage challenges and much more. Any place is good to post but try a daily so you can tell others about your day and talk to others about theirs. Just jump in. The water is warm. Oh and Ribs is responsible for any fee collection Wink

Recently joined the group, but am somewhat perplexed about the different threads. Seems more a set of chat rooms unlike the main forums or even the Beginners and Beyond group where I usually hang out. Not sure where or how to fit in like the new kid on the block who doesn't know anyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

No run this morning. 30 mph winds just didn't sound like fun...the weather...<sigh>.

My DD had a track meet last night. Last one to quailify for the Drake Relays, not that she is in any danger of qualifying but we have had 3 meets already cancelled this year. Last nights meet was in 38 deg temps, drizzling rain and 24 mph winds. She ran the the 1500. The pain and anguish on the runners face coming down the final 100 yards straight into the wind and rain...priceless. Tough Girls.

I did feel sorry for her and proud.

mrrun

no run this morning - we're in the lockdown area. hope this ends soon.  hope all other boston area runners/lurkers etc are fine

marj

Slo

I was wondering marj.

Stay safe...keep us posted.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Not in the lockdown area, but worked in Watertown for 20+ years, so all the addresses talked about are familiar.

Is it possible to be more stunned and dumbfounded than I felt on MOnday?  If so, then I'm there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

I was wondering too, Marj.        stay safe, you 2!!!

Jay, good luck with your back...   I know you know this but don't let the race push you into pushing too soon.   Not that any of us would do that.

Nice of you to volunteer tomorrow...

I too noticed tw's post...    tw it's good to see you.    hope your water workout worked out well..

Welcome WC!     this is a great group.

Good luck tomorrow C-R..

Toms that was a wonderful story.

oh, I really have to work now.       PT exercises this morning.   

Jeanne how's your back??

hope you all have great everythings

Mariposai

Welcome to wcrunner2. We are glad  you found us.We are a very friendly group and we always welcome new kids to play with in the sandbox. The only requisite to join the group is that you have to be "old" Joking.

While we are a running forum we do talk a little bit about our running here, and the rest of the time we talk about real life thing. So, please tell us about yourself and your training plans.

As for me, I am running a marathon in exactly one month  from today. I ran one two weeks ago, my legs are still tired, so I decided to take the day off.

Tramps, I don't watch zombies movies either and do not know much about them either. I have been told several times that I really need to enhance my knowledge about the zombies folklore. Why my new avatar? Well, two days ago I ran with the phone app. zombies run and I got caught by two nasty group of zombies. So as tradition dictates, my avatar converts into a zombies avatar for two days Smile 

tselbs, what a sweet story yesterday.

Have a fun-tastic Friday!

Ohhh and tomorrow I will have a slumber party with Enkephalin and her kids...hurrahh. I am so excited.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

I had a good workout today.  4 miles on the gym treadmill and an upper body workout with the weights laying around.

We didn't get all the rain that was first predicted.  The river will crest 4 feet above flood stage, but 6 feet lower than they said just a day or so ago.  (Flood stage is 24 feet and we'll hit 28.  The record set in 1986 was 33 feet.)  I'm glad that is over.  Today is high wind advisory with occasional snow. Roll eyes

The local 5k is canceled tomorrow.  I was looking forward to seeing my daughter run in it.  She has been doing the couch to 5k thing.  Guess that will have to wait (unless she wants to get up a 6:00am and drive to a different 5k.)

wcrunner2 - I hang out in the daily thread.  Start here and branch out to the other topics as you learn the ropes.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Welcome to wcrunner2. We are glad  you found us.We are a very friendly group and we always welcome new kids to play with in the sandbox. The only requisite to join the group is that you have to be "old" Joking.

While we are a running forum we do talk a little bit about our running here, and the rest of the time we talk about real life thing. So, please tell us about yourself and your training plans.

As for me, I am running a marathon in exactly one month  from today. I ran one two weeks ago, my legs are still tired, so I decided to take the day off.

I suppose I meet the criterion of being old, but I try not to act like it. I'm only 66.

I spend most of my forum time in Beginners and Beyond because I migrated here from RW and have lots of friends there. I'm trying to disprove the adage that you can't teach an old dog new tricks by training for my first ultra. As part of the training plan I will be running my first marathon in 18 years just over 6 weeks from now.That last marathon ended as a DNF so I haven't completed a marathon in over 30 year, since 1981.

I'm semi-retired and work in a bookstore part-time. That should be a hint that I love to read. I need to check out the book thread.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yes Jay - it is so great to see old friends back amongst us.

Welcome wcrunner!!

I hope our Boston friends stay safe.

It's been torrential rains around here all week with flooding everywhere.   Now today high winds and falling temps .....so I have not been out to run at all.   Tomorrow there is an grop of area runners inviting people to get out between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. to support the Boston victims...I'll be out amongst them.

Happy  Friday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

Got my first real run in since Boston, 1.1 miles and felt fine, but decided not to push it and walked another two miles. That stretch yesterday did wonders.

Welcome WC. It's a dollar fine if you are 66 years old, and that's because that's how old I am, no other reason.

BTW, the BAA has been sending out all kinds of emails since the race, to all the participants.  So I'll just recap some of what I learned here:

1)  If you left your drop bag on the bus and need it, the BAA will ship it to you.  How classy is that?

2)  If you were one of the runners who was prevented from finishing the race, as I was, the BAA will send you a finisher's medal.

3)  The BAA has been meeting internally to make decisions on many of the questions that will come up, and they expect to have it all figured out in a couple of days, and said that they will then have an open forum where any runner can get answers to any questions they have.  What a great organization they are!

Spareribs

Henrun

Welcome wcrunner2. I'm 79 and one of those people in lockdown in the Boston area so, I haven't been able to run today. Actually, I was planning to swim today- yes, you can t each an old dog. I'm retired and do a lot of reading - as my latest post in the book thread notes. Good luck in your ultra and marathon.