Masters Running

And its Sunday again too! 9.27.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Busy day yesterday with the relatives: After my workout (5.3 RW miles), our niece and I went to the farmer's market where we got a gaggle of fresh veggies, and even some ginger still on the stalk. When we got back, everyone else was just a bout ready to head out to breakfast at our fav. dive. Then we went to a local apple orchard where a fall festival was in progress, and we joined the throngs there. We came home with some tasty apples, pears, peaches, and some other goodies. DW had found a recipe for a ginger pear cake, so we'll be testing that recipe with some of the day's finds. A little later, we had some cheese and crackers at the house, and then went for a long walk along the ocean in the beautiful, cool early-Fall weather. Not all that long after we got back, it was time to start dinner prep. Dinner was a big green and veggie salad and then lobster or steak, depending on preference. Our nice tried lobster for the first time, and liked it. We also had a wine that DW and I had sampled when in Camden, ME a couple of weeks ago. It is a chardonnay from a vineyard called Educated Guess, and it was as tasty last night as it had been in Camden. We went through 2.5 bottles last night... After dinner, we sat in front of a nice fire in the den and enjoyed some ice cream and gelato. As usual, I was the first to bed.

I went 4.4 RW miles in cool 40F temps this morning. I had planned on going at least twice that far, but the sciatic nerve (or something close to it) in my left leg was giving me grief, and wouldn't loosen up or let me walk without some pain. It made no sense to push on, so I came back and spend a lot of time stretching and foam rollering. Later this afternoon, SIL and her family will leave for home, and we and our niece will start our 3 month adventure together. An early part of that adventure will be heading to the beach tonight to watch the lunar eclipse!

Here is Mike's that trunk that I picked up by the side of the road on Friday. It's an inexpensive knock-off of a historic style trunk, but it's in good shape (showing some age, but that is part of it's 'character'), and will serve a good purpose for us.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

coastwalker you did a nice job fixing up Mike E's trunk there.  If you see some guys with sunglasses and dark suits on you might want to go out the back door.  

evanflein it is so tough to have to say good bye to a pet.  You have my sympathies on the loss of your dear friend.

mariposai welcome back to the states!

I cannot believe that yesterday my alma mater's football team won its fourth game this season!  The California Golden Bears have now beaten Texas and Washington.  Alas, I have been down this road before.  A great start to the season.  Then a melt down.  The Bears last went to the Rose Bowl in 1958, two years before my birth!  This is such a long drought that a few years ago it got the attention of the Wall Street Journal and they published a long article about it.    Will I ever get to see them in the Rose Bowl? 

I think I am going to give running a shot later today.  My abdomen has felt fine for a few days now.  DW wants to get the grocery shopping done first.  Once we get back it will be time for me to pull the trigger one way or the other.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...and the Utes handed the Ducks some Humble Pie to eat.  There is no joy in Mudville today, I tell you!

tselbs, your description of the restaurant reminds me of that fun trip to MI I had -- I loved loved loved the Dexter Riverside Cafe.  Our waitress had a vaguely Southern European accent.  She gave us rice pudding to go, just to be nice!

I'm still battling my flu, now downgraded to "cold."  As rosecoloredglasses once said, "depending on how you treat it, you'll be fully recovered in 2 weeks or 14 days."

But it I did test-drive an electric bike.  Anyone have advice on e-bikes?

New skirt in town

Erika, I'm so sorry to hear about Midnight. Saying goodbye to our animal friends is heart wrenching and I can see why you lacked motivation to run. Your snow isn't helping matters much, I suppose. Take care of yourself!

Jay, what a score! And you're not the only one who is early to bed. In the peak mileage weeks before my marathon, I'm snoozing really early in the evenings. In fact, it's going to be a challenge to stay up tonight to watch the Supermoon lunar eclipse, but I've gotta watch! It means I'll stay up past 10PM for the first time in a few weeks.

The weather this weekend has been spectacular for running. In fact, spectacular, period! 18 miles yesterday, and 10.5 miles today. If race day weather could be this beautiful, I'd be very happy!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

evanflein

Twocat and Robin, thanks. Yes, it's hard to say goodbye. But we talked about him a lot yesterday and looked at some old pictures. He truly was a member of the family and will be missed, but there's no doubt it was the right thing to do.

Jay, that's a really cool trunk! What a wonderful find! And yes, a good chardonnay is perfect with lobster, nice pairing!

Twocat, I hope your test run goes well.

It felt really weird to not run yesterday. And the weather is not very good today... it's warmer but raining off and on all day. So, maybe the snow will melt off the paths, but there's a lot of ice. Not sure what to do. I don't remember the last time I missed two days in a row... Let's just call it an extended taper, right? Wineglass Marathon coming up on the 4th, conference in Orlando later this week. Good thing I'll already be on the east coast, I'll be all adapted to the time change!

Alas, I am not all healed up yet.   I went out.  Got to the quarter mile mark.  Decided it would be stupid to go out too soon after taking off three weeks.  Walked back home.  Maybe next Saturday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Erika}}}  Midnight was an awesome cat.

It was wonderful in to see some family I don't get to see enough of, and to see many people at my stepmom's funeral that I haven't seen in years, but it was also a very, very emotionally draining weekend in many ways.  After much confusion, I invited the entire family (which has been divided for years due to issues of stepmom) over to my house yesterday evening, and my father, who has barely spoken to me in years, agreed to come.  I was elated - this was my chance to make tentative efforts to begin mending fences with Dad.  Then my brother, for reasons I cannot fathom, told him it was only for the kids and grandkids, so Dad bowed out.  The brother told me that he felt dad would add stress to the get-together.  What?  That is nuts - the whole weekend was about supporting Dad - why would I exclude him?   I was absolutely speechless.  Now my dad thinks I invited everyone over but didn't want him.  I didn't even get the whole story until today, and now it is too late to fix.

On top of that, I had another crown come off today, taking most of the tooth with it.  We are suffering a severe money crunch right now, and certainly don't need an unexpected dental bill, but the worst part of it is that I don't know if they can save the tooth or have to pull it.  I am borrowing from my stepdad to pay for 3 dental implants for back teeth, and don't want to ask for more for this one near the front.  But I work with clients and referral sources for the firm - I can't have visible missing teeth.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel so defeated.

I was supposed to run 20 miles today, but my foot is still being an issue, and I simply had no energy, in spite of the fact it was a lovely day.

15 miles total.

Tomorrow is another day.

If only it was not Monday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - Feel free to rant any time.  Regarding your dad - reach out to him.  It's only too late when they're gone.  Reach out to him, tell him there was miscommunication, and that you had wanted him there.  Then you'll have opened the door and he can decide whether or not he wants to walk through.  I'll be thinking about you and praying for your family with regard to everything that's going on.

Erika - {{{Hugs}}} re Midnight.  That's a tough decisions to make.

Ribs - Hope The Saint is feeling better soon.

Jay - Nice trunk!

Yesterday I decided to worked with The Hub at one of his big jobs, so I did my 10 miles today.  He didn't know I was going to help him until I showed up.  Took about 3 hrs off his day.  Lots of raking and picking up and lugging full cans of debris, etc.  My arms, shoulders, and back are a tad sore today.  My 10 today at the McKay went really well with some good climbing.  I think that was my longest run in 3 months.

This morning before church started one of the young woman who was at my dad's memorial walked in with her husband.  I gave her a hug and thanked her again for everyone putting on the memorial, then she told me this:  Before she ever met her now husband, my dad had written her a letter about how to have a successful marriage.  She said she still has the letter.  . . . . . I keep learning new stuff about my dad all the time . . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, sorry about your kitty.  It sure is hard to lose a long time pet.

Holly, I hope you take Leslie's advice and call your dad - tell him you wanted him there, and it was a mixup in communication.   Oh, and bummer about the tooth!  Dental work is soooo expensive!

Jay, I like that trunk of Mike's!   Do people put a "free" sign when they leave something like that out at the curb?  That's what they do around here, so there's no confusion.   I hope you and your niece enjoy your time together!

I did a 20 mile trail run with my ultra gang today, on part of the route of my 50 mile race in a few weeks.  It sure is hilly!!!    Fun day with some great people.  I love my ultra tribe!

ETA:  It's pitiful how small the bar for today's 20 miler looks when I still have the dang 100k on my graph! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I also agree with Leslie, Holly...call your dad...it can't hurt.  And I remember a couple years, ago, when I had a big blow up with Mikey and somebody on here kept pestering me to call him...it was the best phone call I ever made.

I just got back from watching 2 of my granddaughters play in a 3 v 3 basketball tourney.  They both played great.  I can't believe how good they have gotten.

I ran 8 miles, today, in 1:03:55

I sure do miss my trunk...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

an amazing likeness

ETA:  It's pitiful how small the bar for today's 20 miler looks when I still have the dang 100k on my graph! 

Everything is going wrong, it’s not right anymore
                        I can’t seem to log the miles, like I did before Big Red Bar
                        100K gone from my totals, last Big Red Bar fading into the past
                        Miles are hanging in balance, sinking low and so am I;

How I'm gonna loose these Big Red Bar blues
                        Big Red Bar, Big Red Bar, Big Red Bar blues

Long miles to log in red glory is worth everything
                        It’s worth more than diamonds or gold
                        But this heart grows cold thinking of Big Red Bar sinking fast;

How I'm gonna loose these Big Red Bar blues

Big Red Bar, Big Red Bar, Big Red Bar blues

(with my apologies to Lucinda Williams...)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

evanflein

I agree with Leslie... it's only too late when they're gone. Since many of us have faced losses recently, that really speaks volumes. Holly, call your dad. Sorry about the tooth, add that to the list of "the last thing I needed to have happen now..."

Ha on the Red Bar Blues.... I don't seem to have that problem, but I hear those who run 100k's and 100 milers do. I think the answer is to either get over it, or do another one!

Made it out for a run today, and once I got on the bike paths it was really not too bad. Light misty rain, a bit of a breeze I found on the return but not bad. I just really didn't want to do that slushy part of our road again. So nice to see DH show up when I was at about 12.2 miles! He thought I was gone a lot longer than I said I would be (true, I was thinking I'd be lucky to do 6 miles in these conditions), so he came looking for me. He picked me up almost two miles later and 14.1 felt long enough for me.

SteveP

..Is it SteveP's B'Day??

happen to have a Present for Him......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQpp5LEEaj0

Thank you. What  rare talent.

(((((Erika & DH))))) I'm sorry for Midnight's passing.

(((((Holly)))))

DW and I went to Manistee for the weekend. We had beaches, trails, outdoor cafes (sans ice cream), quaint shops and beaches.

I've missed swimming after dark.

SteveP