Masters Running

Sunday, June 22nd, Daily (Read 397 times)

First long run of the year done...18 miles in 2:29:27 for an 8:19 pace...then walked 2 miles home...time to refuel and relax...
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
    evanflein

I do 3 of those 30+ mile weekends the month before my marathon. I recall I'm tired all the time after those... Nice running, Perch! I'm looking forward to see how you do on your mountainous effort. Holly, good job on the wave run! I try those, but have a hard time keeping pace accurately. End up with "broader waves" than that. How's that hill climbing coming along? Getting any easier? 18 miles for Gordon...! Nice pace, too. What's next for you race-wise? My 10k last night went as well as can be expected. I didn't PR as expected, but didn't do badly either... It was so hot (ok, this is relative, ok?) at 77 in the shade when I parked the car at 9:40. The sun was very warm and was up for the entire race (and after!), but I did find shade. Lots of people out with sprinklers and water soaker guns which was fun. It's the biggest and most community-supported race around here, I think well over 3,000 entrants (lots of visitors run it). My time was unofficially 48:08... nothing posted yet on the web site and our papers are late this morning so they could get results (don't have mine yet, web site not responding...). More details later in the (will be short) RR... I'll be gardening today! Didn't want to yesterday to save my legs but today I will get some weeding done. And none of my beans came up...I think it was too cold when I planted and they just rotted in the ground. No
        vista, that's great about the reduced blood pressure concurrent with increased mileage. I've heard of other who have had the same experience. A few years ago, I was diagnosed with glaucoma and had suffered a slight, permanent, reduction in peripheral vision. I have been taking eye drops, the damage has not increased, and the pressure in my eyes has been lower. My opthamologist always asks about my running (he runs a little to keep him in shape for tennis and softball and his wife runs). He claims that there is a correlation between low eye pressure and lowered risk of glaucoma along with regular running. Dave, nice 9 mile run on saturday even though it was hard. I often tell people that I don't really enjoy the running, per se, but I enjoy the effects it has on me. It has also brought me a lot of pleasure through the people I've met at races and on this site. ribs, congrats on your first 40 mile week in over a year. You have sure been patient and wise in your comeback. DickyG, keep being cautious as you recover from your groin pull. Nice races for evan and BC. I'm looking forward to the promised reports. Nice long runs for wildchild, perch, CNY, Tammy, biketm, Peter, Holly (with a mighty fast next to last mile), Tramps, perch (big time weekend), BC, ribs, hallar, and lynden. This morning was another beautiful one here in eastern MI. It was in the mid 50s, calm, and clear. I got in 5 miles in about 47:30 for a 9:31 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          Just a quick drive-by from the slacker to say: "Great Workout" to Holly. "Very Nice 10K on a hot Day" Erika. "What did the big hill at mile 17 look like to you?" to Peter. "You're really showing your training knowledge lately" to Perch. "Congrats on your 40 mile week" Spareibs. Good going. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Great story Vista, actually it is not a story, but real life! Sorry to hear that running doesn't have the same effect on WRFB. I have told this story before, so if you've heard it, just skip ahead. I joined a recreational basketball league about 5 years ago. Since I was pretty out of shape, I tore (not complete, but probably lots of smaller tears) my quadraceps tendon which is just above the kneecap. It was likely from the constant jumping (well landing really) and sudden direction changes. I believe it is called jumpers knee. I couldn't put any weight on it at all when it was bent, like a squat or partial squat. I couldn't walk down stairs without shifting my weight to a supporting arm, or get into or out of a chair normally. It was "supposed" to heal after 6 weeks. About 9 months went by and it was maybe 40% better and I started physio. The PT gave me a bunch of strengthening exercises, which were good, but then when I would go in for a visit, she would test me to see how far down I could squat, which was only about 4 inches before the searing pain would start! So that wasn't making it any better. While waiting for physio, I decided to start walking on the TM. Then I decided to try to run one day, very nervously, not knowing if I could even do that without hurting it. I could. It was only bending down that hurt it. I told the physio I had started running, and she, a runner herself, told me I should not do that. I was so relieved after my forced sedentary year to be able to do some cardio that I kept up with the TM running. After just a few months, with the increased muscle mass in my legs now supporting the load on the tendon, the injury was 95% healed. I still had problems with hillls. I could only run down very gentle hills, anything steeper and I would walk. After two years, I am ecstatic to say I can run down just about anything! I still feel the tendon from time to time, like near the end of intense speedwork or if I pound down too many hills, but I never thought running would cure a knee injury this way. I never did do those PT exercises either. So tell that to your friends and co-workers that think running ruins your knees! 6.4 miles, nice temps today, about 59 and overcast, lovely lovely lovely. I was supposed to run 5 miles, but it was just too nice. I almost always enjoy my runs, or at least a few miles within them. I don't think I could keep at it if I didn't. Nice workout Holly!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Perch – you’re ready! Dg – 6.07 miles? Nice run! But on a painful right foot? Get thee hence down to that podiatrist! Mariposai – you deserve a rest after that run. BCMorant – nice racing! Tomwhite – nice when that feeling comes along. Spareribs – thanks, and nice run for you today. I expect, although you never complain about it, that you have extremely hot conditions to run in this time of year. Gordon – nice 18-miler today! Erika – Three 30-mile weekends in a month? Ouch! The hills, well, some days they seem easier, some days not. Mostly I think there getting easier, if not faster. Nice 10K! TomS – I often feel that way about running myself. Enkaphalin – I LOVE that story! Tell it as many times as you like. I get SO tired of people telling me that I’m going to ruin my knees running. I’ve been gardening a bit myself this afternoon, mulching and staking my tomatoes, and now I’m heading up to paint cabinets. I hope to finish them today, and hang the doors back up in a couple days when the paint is good and dry. Next week we tackle the recessed lighting project in the kitchen. Little by little, we keep chugging away.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

What an inspiring story Enke. Most people think running is bad for the body. We know better ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

0.3 miles at the Y track for me! My ankle didn't hurt, hooray. Just a short test run to see how it felt. Then I did 30 minutes on the elliptical - HR from 125 to 130. I sweat a lot, but it's just not the same as running. Cry One step at a time!
                  lamerunner

Hello everyone. 17 miles done this morning in about 2:21. I had company for 12 of them or so, then the other two women dropped off. It was kind of humid and warm but not terrible. There was a breeze. Odd run for me in the sense it kind of got better as it went. I started off feeling sort of low energy, nothing terrible just tired. ALthough I never felt great, I kept up my energy level and pace better than sometimes and actually picked up the pace at the end. My mileage last week was very moderate, but I also swam three times, and the prior week was hot and high mileage. I saw three deer at about mile 14, not usual for Manchester, NH at nearly 9 am. they survived a rather ill-advised road crossing and I used the excuse to stop for a few seconds...a nice diversion.
                      Wow.....some good long runs by a number of people. I ran 15.6 miles that was done with an eye to the sky for a thunder storm that was in the area but never came to where I was running. I was happy with the miles and the run. That does baffle me that WRFB, who runs circles around me in both time and distance, does not get the good benefits with the blood pressure. In any regard, I am thankful that it seemingly has worked for me. It was purely by accident that I was able to see the correlation. That is a GREAT story Enke........I know I am preaching to the converted in this forum, but we do know that running does have some remarkable benefits in various medical ways. Your story is truly great. Thanks for sharing it. Joey
                      Vista

King of PhotoShop

People are beating my brains out here with the long runs! What is this? Gordon, PeterNC (who I failed to mention this morning), Joey and Lame. Nice job all of you, and some of you did it in the heat too and not a word of moanng either. Now we're making progress! Enke, that is a great story about your recovery, and one day we ought to have a thread about form and knee and hamstring problems and hear others talk about their experiences. I sure am glad your situation has improved as it has. Tselbs, you want us to believe you don't enjoy the running but do enjoy the benefits? You are one of the most joyful runners on this site. Erika, nice job under very strange conditions. Heat for you, and an evening run. I would be wasted. I also wanted to say how happy I was to read huskydon's and Bruce's RR's, and looking forward to Dromedary's as well. What a great time they had. Those are the kinds of reports that are fun to read, not so much the race, but the cameraderie and new friendships. Well done all of you. Spareribs
                          Nice running here today A rare evening run for me. The kiddo and I went to the Northampton mile race benefiting the Northampton high school cross country teams and had a blast. Dr. J was there with 2 of her 4 kids and many of the local speedsters were there as well. The official results aren't up yet, but I ran a 6:20 in the women's race---won in a 4:56 by Shauneen Geraghan. I think I was third in my age group. The men's race was won by Eric Nedeau in 4:25 (guy who won the 10k I raced last week). The kiddo ran in the 14 and under race and ran a 7:02. It was great to see so many people out on a Sunday evening. The race raised about $3,000 for the team and served as a "get running for the summer" send-off for the high schoolers. We had thunderstorms and really humid weather all day, so I wasn't even sure if this would get rolling (all baseball games cancelled meaning a week of late nights ahead...grumble, grumble). I am pleased given that I ran 20 miles yesterday. The mile helped get the legs moving and I did my best to keep it steady. I hit halfway at 3:15 and ran a little bit of a negative split to hit 6:20. Dr J. ran a 6:49 and her daughter kicked me in to run a 6:19. Dr J also made some of the most amazing baked goods for the finish party. Good cheer and good eats. I am very proud of the kiddo who is quietly working on running and wants to run a 5k with me at the end of the summer. Now I am watching Robin Hood (BBC America) and looking at the week's plan ahead---back up into the 60s for mileage and into the 70s for July. One more race on July 4th and then it's time to get marathon focused. G'nite all CNYrunner/Karin
                          wildchild

Carolyn

OK, sorry I'm so late but I finally got some pictures of our wildflowers. Actually I took the pics this morning right after an early 7 mile run, but I've been busy till now. My dogs were enjoying the flowers, too! This is one of my running buddies, Tazzie. This is the other one, Ladybug.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

made up for yesterday's no running with the planned ten miler today. Just thinkin' of slojim's 24 hour epic goin' on today made me more tired in ten miles than for marathons. Possible hike next Sunday with the camaraderie of family and friends but, otherwise, tapering for 7/6 Rattlesnake Marathon. Lots of sharp crushed gravel so'll be checking with Dave the Cobbler who fixed my 20-year old mountaineering boots about 20 years ago. Hope he can fix the stiff-soled Merrell Bahria trail thongs straps that broke in the Redmond Watershed 12 hour with francesca. Speaking of thongs, and how bad everyone tries to say running is for us, it's a good thing I didn't know that thongs are the next most damaging footwear to high heels before I put them on on a whim for some summer trail runs in 2006 and got addicted to them up to 50 miles and 100K when surfaces are too rough for my bare feet. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23894297-662,00.html "They found that thong wearers took shorter steps and their heels hit the ground with less vertical force than when the same walkers wore athletic shoes." "This alteration of the gait could produce problems and pain from the foot up to the hips and lower back, they concluded." Huh, hitting the ground with less force (because of need for softer landings) is bad???? "(thongs) were generally frowned upon by podiatrists because the offer very little foot support. " they probably make foot/ankle muscles strong as in running barefoot too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Yeah, Tetsujin, I saw that article and thought of you... 11 miles today after thunderstorms rolled through. Got a lot of gardening done, too. Wildchild, I love your dogs! They look like a lot of fun...