Masters Running

Thursday, 6.25.15 (Read 32 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Oh, man--it has been a crazy week!  Let's see...I think the last time I posted was...Monday...yep...I posted my time and Ribs asked what I was doing for stamina...

...well...when I put together my training plan that was going to starting up right after my half marathon...which was starting up right after my marathon...I thought speed was what I needed to work on and I was relying on my recent distance training for stamina.  I have done a couple of 5k's at race pace, and I'm scheduled to do a 2 miler at 5k race pace early next week.  Then, of course there's the 10k I'm doing on the 4th.  So--hopefully--that will be good enough.

So--Tuesday--right at the end of the day--one of the guys in the shop where I work, decided to chop the end of his finger off and I had to  take him to the E.R.  So that got me home late and just in time to get to a meeting at church...so no run.

Last night ended up being pretty cool...after starting out like crap.   About a mile away from home, I started smelling anti-freeze.  I looked around to find the old junker car that was making that smell.  Well, I pulled into my driveway, and smoke started billowing from under my hood and anti-freeze was spraying out from under the car.  I took a water hose, washed down the driveway, and got ready for my run.  I wasn't going to deal with it.

My workout called for 2x800 @ 2:24 w/2:00 rest between -- 2x400 @ 1:12 w/1:00 rest between -- and 2x200 w/1:00 rest between @ :36.  So, I did 3 easy miles to the track in 23:43 -- 800 in 2:41.45 -- 800 in 2:42.47 (I was not very happy at this point and thinking, "Dang!  I haven't done enough to increase my stamina!") -- 400 in 1:17.81 -- 400 in 1:17.07 -- 200 in :34.15 -- and 200 in :34.53.  I was on my hands and knees after that last 200 thinking I was going to die.  When I stood up and turned around, I lady friend had just come on the track to do her track workout.  She was hoping to do 6x800 under 3:15 but she wasn't feeling well and was really dreading it...so...

...I did her mile warm up in 7:55--then paced her on her 1st 800 in 2:56.15.  It was so easy!  I cannot believe the extra effort it takes to run 14 seconds faster for an 800.  It still blows my mind.  Anyway...I saw my granddaugters over by the soccer fields so I went to talk to them and told my friend I'd be back to pace her for her last 800.  After talking to the granddaughters for a few minutes, I decide I didn't want to cool down too much before I went and did another fairly fast 800, so I went back and paced her for her last 3.  They went: 3:04.66 -- 3:07.28 -- and 3:05.63.  Then I did a 1 mile cool down with her in 7:51 and ran 3 miles home in 23:01.  Total was 11.7 in 1:23:51.

I have to tell you...I had so much fun running with my friend.  I was in my "element".  I kept a steady pace for her...letting her know when she was on her time and barking a bit when she was falling back.  I loved it!  She, of course, was very thankful which just made my whole dang week. 

Okay--after patching another guy up after he sliced open his hand--I came home, tonight and did 10.2 miles in 1:19:51.

The other big thing for today is--my granddaughter had her second cochlear implant.  The first one she had a few years ago didn't work and she finally decided to try it again.  Of course, if this one fails--she will be completely deaf.  I have been praying for her all day.  Everything went great in surgery but it will be a few months before we find out if it works...so, the praying continues.

Oh--and it's my 27th anniversary, today...here's a picture from 1987...

She sure does put up with a lot from me and she lets me do this crazy running stuff.

Okay--I really gotta go!  See ya!

A thought just occurred to me...it's a good thing I didn't go on that Michigan trip...I might not have had a 28th anniversary.

evanflein

Incredible running, Mike. I just couldn't do that. If I had a workout like that on my schedule, I'd probably find any number of reasons (i.e., excuses) why I couldn't do it. Which would all be a curtain for the fact that I just didn't want to do it. Good for you. Great picture, too. Behind any good runner is a spouse who is incredibly tolerant. (applies mostly when only one of the two is a runner, but it could work if both are runners, too)

Tetsujin, as expected, the air got better as the day went on. By the time I got off work, it was actually looking pretty good. I had to go to the store for some stuff and then home, got out a little after 6. The air was really not too bad and got better as I went along. Funny thing, when they postponed the race, they admitted that it was highly likely the air quality would improve to the point they could do the race after all. Sure enough, I think it did! But, there are enough kids who do this that they aren't going to take any chances, even though the kids (9 and under) do 800 meters instead of a mile. So....

7.7 miles today in warm and somewhat humid conditions (well, humid for us). Goal was to keep the pace easy enough to not do too much "sucking wind," and it seemed to work ok. Good run, but wow I sure got sweaty for it not being too hot (around 75° ) but that's probably because the humidity was higher than I'm used to (but I bet it was still around 55%).